Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). Shoot Out The Lights: Bartel vs Lazy J10 vs Two Rock - A LONG Review - Amps Discussions on The Fretboard

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

Shoot Out The Lights: Bartel vs Lazy J10 vs Two Rock - A LONG Review

What's Hot
WazmeisterWazmeister Frets: 8918

2reaction image LOL 16reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter

Comments

• HattigolHattigol Frets: 8170
    edited November 2022
    Waz, your reviews are legendary and I love them. Thanks for doing them. They are inimitable. 

But, in your own words, you are selling the 'most versatile and the best' amp of the three?
    "Anybody can play. The note is only 20%. The attitude of the motherf*cker who plays it is  80%" - Miles Davis
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Hattigol said:
    Waz, your reviews are legendary and I love them. Thanks for doing them. They are inimitable. 

But, in your own words, you are selling the 'most versatile and the best' amp of the three?
    It’s looking that way mate, although not decided really yet. The problem is one has to go… the other two are keepers…
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • PS no matter how many times you proof read, typos and spelling mistakes are always found after publication!!
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Moe_ZambeekMoe_Zambeek Frets: 3238
    edited November 2022
    I knew the Bartel was going almost as soon as you bought it, there was a ghostly caveat in everything you wrote about it, a hint of regret 

I’d do the same in your position, lot of money to have in a single amp; IMO it has to be the one and only to justify that cost.

How are they with pedals?

I do love that mint suede, so 80s dumble.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • I knew the Bartel was going almost as soon as you bought it, there was a ghostly caveat in everything you wrote about it :)

I’d do the same in your position, lot of money to have in a single amp; IMO it has to be the one and only to justify that cost.

How are they with pedals?

I do love that mint suede, so 80s dumble.

The Bartel, like the Redplates, doesn’t need pedals ! That being said, they have taken every pedal I have thrown at them really well indeed.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Great stuff! 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Great review Waz, I’m very familiar with the Two Rock & Lazy J both excellent amps. There’s something about the Js organic nature that is addictive to play  also the blue will sound much better with a few hours on it :) 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • tone1tone1 Frets: 4930
    edited November 2022
    Thanks Waz….We all love your reviews! I’ve wanted a J20 since forever, but they’ve always been a bit much (of everything) for my lowly home playing. I’ve settled for the poor man’s Lazyj in the form of a Cornell Romany Plus…So a J10 seemed the perfect solution. 

My thoughts are….if I desired an amp of the best quality/sound/versatility etc, and I could justify & afford the outlay, then whether I spent over £3K or £4K I would want to keep the best one for me. I wouldn’t like  to think I’d spent £3k on something I wasn’t truly happy with knowing what I really wanted was possible.

I think I’ve probably hit my ceiling of bang for buck, in that the Romany is more than enough in terms of quality for me…..I would absolutely adore a J10 but at £3,200 it’s a little out of my league I guess, as I’d sound similar to me playing through the Romany and I’d resent the fact I’d spent that much for very little gain…

Having said that, I do love your approach of slowly trading your way up to the big guns….. 3
  • garfygarfy Frets: 143
    edited November 2022
    Thanks for taking the time to create such an in depth review..the choices there are really mind blowing..I've not personally played a Bartel but going on all the comments within this forum alone, its a classic. The TR & Lazy J are both incredible choices and certainly top in their class for what they bring to the table imho..

good luck mate
  • idiotwindowidiotwindow Frets: 1204
    edited November 2022
    Coda stopped listing Bartel on their website a few weeks ago – I don't know if it means they won't be stocking them again in the future but something to bear in mind in terms of UK availability. 

I'm not sure why so much is made of the cost of these amps. Quality stuff costs money and I don't think £4k or so is all that much in today's world for something that could last decades. People routinely spend £1000+ on Apple gadgets that are often landfill within a few years.

The Two-Rock certainly looks good. Does it sound good when played at genuine home volumes? I'm a bit wary about the idea of 35W at home but if it has an effective master volume.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • prlgmnrprlgmnr Frets: 3674
    The underlying message I'm getting from all this is that Redplate amps probably offer the best value for money?
  • bertiebertie Frets: 12145

. People routinely spend £1000+ on Apple gadgets that are often landfill within a few years.

and £10k on a push-bike to use at the week-ends
    just because you don't, doesn't mean you can't
     just because you do, doesn't mean you should.
  • Nice review Waz and a good sales pitch for the Bartel. ;)  

I’ve never heard anyone say their Lazy J is ‘humble’ and ‘recognises’ pickup changes though!

Good luck with the decision-making as it seems they’re all great amps. Or you could just sell all three and start again? :)  
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Nice review Waz and a good sales pitch for the Bartel. ;)  

I’ve never heard anyone say their Lazy J is ‘humble’ and ‘recognises’ pickup changes though!

Good luck with the decision-making as it seems they’re all great amps. Or you could just sell all three and start again? :)  
     I don't think I need a sale pitch for the Bartel. to be honest. Amazing amps, truly...

I think I'm sorted for a wee while now; mind you, we've all said that a few times ! =)
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • tone1 said:
    Thanks Waz….We all love your reviews! I’ve wanted a J20 since forever, but they’ve always been a bit much (of everything) for my lowly home playing. I’ve settled for the poor man’s Lazyj in the form of a Cornell Romany Plus…So a J10 seemed the perfect solution. 

My thoughts are….if I desired an amp of the best quality/sound/versatility etc, and I could justify & afford the outlay, then whether I spent over £3K or £4K I would want to keep the best one for me. I wouldn’t like  to think I’d spent £3k on something I wasn’t truly happy with knowing what I really wanted was possible.

I think I’ve probably hit my ceiling of bang for buck, in that the Romany is more than enough in terms of quality for me…..I would absolutely adore a J10 but at £3,200 it’s a little out of my league I guess, as I’d sound similar to me playing through the Romany and I’d resent the fact I’d spent that much for very little gain…

Having said that, I do love your approach of slowly trading your way up to the big guns….. 3
    Thanks Tone :)

To be honest, I'm really pleased with the trading up over the last few years. I'm amazed more don't do it.
    Some collection pedals and guitars, which is cool. I'd sooner sell em and get a pot for some great gear.

Always money in them, and always easy to sell.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Enjoyed this review! They all seem great. If it was me i think I'd pick the Two Rock, but that's just based on the type of amp it is, so probably of no use to you. Must be fun trying them all out though. 
  • chris78chris78 Frets: 8492
    Finally got chance to read this- great review Waz.

Ive played all of these amps and owned 2 and agree with most of your thoughts.

The difference with a great amp is the cut. You especially notice this in a band situation. Both the bartel and two rock cut in a way you can’t imagine. The TR is the best clean pedal platform money can buy. I made the mistake with mine of thinking “well, it’s a clean amp, I might as well buy a cheaper clean amp.” Huge mistake. I miss the TR hugely. 
    The Bartel colours the sound in a way that the TR doesn’t, but it makes every guitar you put through it sound better. The way it fills a room is indescribable. You have to be there to understand. 
    Both have sensational master volumes, both get very loud and have massive headroom. 
    All 3 are huge investments, but they’re the price of a Fender custom shop and less than a Gibson CS or about the same as a core PRS. Way more so than going custom shop, these are a big step up in class from, say, a fender DR. Tonally, I’d get an American vintage over a custom shop and one of these amps rather than a cs fender and an inferior amp.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • ennspekennspek Frets: 1625
    Great stuff as always Warren. Please keep the lazy J,l. It's the only one I don't want to buy!
  • ennspek said:
    Great stuff as always Warren. Please keep the lazy J,l. It's the only one I don't want to buy!
    Thanks mate. The Lazy J is staying !

By the way, anybody spot the Shoot Out The Lights link ???
  • By the way, anybody spot the Shoot Out The Lights link ???
    Aside from it being a Linda/Richard Thompson thing?
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • chris78 said:
    Finally got chance to read this- great review Waz.

Ive played all of these amps and owned 2 and agree with most of your thoughts.

The difference with a great amp is the cut. You especially notice this in a band situation. Both the bartel and two rock cut in a way you can’t imagine. The TR is the best clean pedal platform money can buy. I made the mistake with mine of thinking “well, it’s a clean amp, I might as well buy a cheaper clean amp.” Huge mistake. I miss the TR hugely. 
    The Bartel colours the sound in a way that the TR doesn’t, but it makes every guitar you put through it sound better. The way it fills a room is indescribable. You have to be there to understand. 
    Both have sensational master volumes, both get very loud and have massive headroom. 
    All 3 are huge investments, but they’re the price of a Fender custom shop and less than a Gibson CS or about the same as a core PRS. Way more so than going custom shop, these are a big step up in class from, say, a fender DR. Tonally, I’d get an American vintage over a custom shop and one of these amps rather than a cs fender and an inferior amp.
    Chris, wisdom awarded ! Great post. 
  • GillyGilly Frets: 1112
    You’re considerably richer than us.
  • Alex2678Alex2678 Frets: 909

To be honest, I'm really pleased with the trading up over the last few years. I'm amazed more don't do it.
    Some collection pedals and guitars, which is cool. I'd sooner sell em and get a pot for some great gear.

That’s my philosophy. I’m maybe not as far along the journey, (I’ve never seen any of these brands of amps in person) but I’d sooner have a few quality bits than a lot of ‘okay’ stuff. What constitutes quality is relative, but I’ve just shrunk my pedal collection down from 16 to 3 in the name of quality over quantity 
  • impmannimpmann Frets: 12286
    Very interesting thread, Waz.

If you don't love something, there's no place for it in your home. Simples.

Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

• CloudNineCloudNine Frets: 4121
    Brilliant stuff Warren, thoroughly enjoyed that. When reading your other thread, I thought that the J10 might stay, and might pip the Bartel in the old school tweed stakes. Definitely a special amp, and the most complex/rich tone of any I have had. I always missed a Victoria 5112 I used to have, just a fancy champ really, but had beautiful tone. But the J10 easily does that same thing, but even bigger, louder and more 3D, and with Reverb and Trem, so just wins completely. It is a very characterful amp and it’s hard to believe that sound is coming out of such a small cab when you get it cranked up.

Having said all that, if I had to keep only one amp, it might be my Victoria Regal 2, as just a bit easier to dial in for all sorts of guitars. The J10 can be a bit overwhelming in the low end with some humbucker guitars, Jazzboxes etc., although that only seems to happen at low to mid volumes in a small room, and it seems to all make sense again once it’s cranked a bit in a larger space. I would truly hate to ever part with it. 

I used to have a TR Studio Pro as well, and that was superb, so can imagine the Sig is even better. I can see how that and the J10 would be a perfect pair of amps to own.
  • That’s a long review but you haven’t covered if they djent. And if as great as they are you don't secretly miss your Tonemaster ;-)
  • That’s a long review but you haven’t covered if they djent. And if as great as they are you don't secretly miss your Tonemaster ;-)
    The Tonemaster is a good amp, and great value for money.

These, naturally, are different gravy :)
  • Benm39Benm39 Frets: 606
    Yup, I don't recall an Ola Englund vid review on whether Bartels Djent....
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17108
    tFB Trader
    I find this is always the problem when you shoot out high end gear. The answer is usually it's all great and you want all of it.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Will there be a part 2 for gigging players?

Great in depth review but I never play at home (live in a flat) and would love to know how these compare at a function / small venue / pub whatever when you turn them up a bit and really get some air moving
    https://www.gbmusic.co.uk/

PA Hire and Event Management
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter