Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). Lightweight fretless bass build 30" scale - Making & Modding Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

Lightweight fretless bass build 30" scale

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• JGTayJGTay Frets: 209
    Progress from last weekend and this weekend.

Sanded up through the grades all over.

Drilled for the controls and tested in place.

And then got started on the first coats of varnish.

The neck will be oiled once the varnishing is all finished. Not sure whether to do a finish on the fretboard to give it some protection? 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    Before getting on with the varnishing today, I decided it was time to do the first weigh in... 

Obviously hardware still needs to go on, but very happy at 4.023lbs.  =)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    Have done all the varnishing, also oiled the neck and fretboard over the past couple of weekends. Still needs a final buffing, but happy with how it is coming together.

Back view first, with test fit of the tuners. 

And the front. Hardware roughly positioned.

Next up for today was securing the pickup, no pics as it was a bit of a pain and just got on with it, went with magnets and a couple of panel pins with the heads snipped off to push it onto and keep it in place, didn't want screws showing but will have to see how it is when it is strung up. 

Next was positioning the individual bridge saddles, out with the string and marked it up.

And then did a strip of copper underneath the saddles, attached to the earth wire and passed into the control cavity. Then screwed the saddles in place.

It is great having a job again, but makes build progress very slow. Not getting any time in the evenings, so just weekends at the moment. Hopefully can get on with the controls next weekend.
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    It is 'bass'ically finished... :)    

Need to do some final minor tweaks and give it a bit of a polish, but had a play with it on Rocksmith tonight. Very happy with it.

The final steps from weekend and a couple of evenings this week -

Shielding of pickup cavity

The control cavity

The cover, which I had to cut a square out of in order for the jack to have enough room. Hadn't really accounted for it, so quite lucky in the end.

In with the hardware and soldering done.

Then a copy of @Andyjr1515 no neck dive pics.

The Final weigh in...

5.771 lbs. or 2.618 kg if it's easier.

And finally a full frontal pic... :o

Will take some glamour shots once the final bits are done.  :#
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Andyjr1515Andyjr1515 Frets: 3068
    A very impressive build, @JGTay !
    A very impressive build, @JGTay !

Thanks Andy. :3

The aim at the start of the build was to try to get it around the 6.5 lbs mark without chambering, so when the final weigh in showed less than 6 lbs it was a very nice surprise.

I thought it would have problems with neck dive, but the centre line of balance is around the 20th fret position, almost in line with the lower horn.
  • WezVWezV Frets: 15793
    A horn that long will make it hard for it not to balance well on a strap

I think I would have gone with a barrel jack on the side, as much as I despise them... but this looks really impressive.
    WezV said:
    A horn that long will make it hard for it not to balance well on a strap

I think I would have gone with a barrel jack on the side, as much as I despise them... but this looks really impressive.
    Thanks Wez.  :3

Very true with the horn, could have done it shorter in the end with the balance where it is, but I do like the look of it now it is finished.

I don't like barrel Jack's either. Thankfully I am happy with the front mount and managed to make it work with the cavity depth. 
    Just realised, I didn't post the final pics of this. Sorry for the delay.

Really pleased with how it has come out, loving fretless bass. =)