Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). How many acoustics do you own? - Acoustics Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

How many acoustics do you own?

What's Hot
12345679»

Comments

• droflufdrofluf Frets: 3144
    Stunning!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Cig35 said:
    Cig35 said:

So at the moment 6, but in reality "only" 4.
    But there is a 00 on order coming

And to avoid it getting stuck over the holidays with a courier I've just gotten the tracking info for the shipment of the new guitar, so now I just have to wait for it to arrive.

Is that a Swedish log cabin you live in or Santa's Grotto?
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Cig35Cig35 Frets: 61
    It surely has to be from the North Pole...

The photos are taken by the luthier in Finland and from his hashtags it should be here: https://www.museiportalosterbotten.fi/museum-a-o-en/museum/2-fagerbacka-cattle-lodge
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Scandinavia is on my bucket list. The scenery is superb,the people very welcoming and the ladies! Ooh la la! 
    Mrs guitarjack doesnt read the forum thankfully.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • JonPJonP Frets: 47
    4 + Banjo

Martin OM42 - great all-rounder I’ve had for 7 years.

Martin D28 bought new on 1997. Great strummer now played by Mrs P!

National Style N 12 fret. Made in 1997 but bought second hand from Mansons about 16 years ago. Spends most of its time in Open G and occasionally Open D. Brooks guitars did a magnificent job at altering the biscuit bridge for better intonation.

Taylor 858E - massive 12 string bought second hand from Coda 3 years ago.

Goldstar GF100HF Banjo bought second hand from eBay 7 years ago.
  • robertyroberty Frets: 10231
    I've only got my 1997 D16 now. It's massive and really loud, but it sounds really nice and is freakishly lightweight. I played mostly acoustic for many years but I rarely ever do these days. I think if I had a GS mini or a OM I'd play more acoustic, and probably do more singing tbh
  • SteveFSteveF Frets: 505
    I have two.  A 000 Martin - Cheap(ish) electro and a Martin HD-28 which will be for sale when I get around to popping up in the classifieds.  It's a great guitar and in particular it sounds phenomenal, but I think I prefer the smaller size (particularly the neck) of the 000 and want to get a higher end 000 or OM.   I think 2 will always be enough.  I like the cheapy for general living room/garden/bbq etc playing and then a "proper" one 
  • Three,

1947 0017
    1955 00028
    Sharleen Simmons Parlour.
    0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • MSedgMSedg Frets: 88
    Two - down from a few more as I’ve finally got it through my head that dreads aren’t for me, so sold a few. Hoping GAS is now done for the foreseeable, as these two really do everything I need (and are more guitar than I will ever go beyond with my standard of playing).

Both are Atkins - a black top OM Custom (Macassar Ebony B&S, Adi top), which might be the one referred to up the chain, and a 00-14 Dustbowl (all mahogany). Been lucky enough to have 5 Atkins, Martins (standard, custom shop, 1948 0-15), Gibsons (inc. 2xJ45 Vintage, a 1961 J-50) and others - honestly, a good Atkin will outdo the lot of them (for me at least), and these two are the best I’ve played. Coda is quite close so sadly (for my bank balance) I’ve played a lot!

https://photos.app.goo.gl/GAjLDg6F3iHEjeD57

• TheOtherDennisTheOtherDennis Frets: 2010
    edited January 2023
    As late to the party as ever.

Four.

An Avalon A-200CE - I know it has rosewood back and sides, and ebony fingerboard, but I can't remember what the top is
    A L'Arrivee OM-02
    A Martin kit that I built myself - a jumbo with rosewood back and sides, spruce top, ebony fingerboard and bridge
    A Stew Mac dreadnought kit that I build myself - rosewood back, sides and fingerboard, spruce top, and a bolt-on neck

By a combination of dumb luck and good advice, I've managed to get the two that I built myself set up to play perfectly for what I want. In terms of quality, though, they leave a lot to be desired, I'm just not that skilful.

I go back and forth with the Avalon - I've had it since 2005, and it was my only acoustic for years, until I built the two kits. it still sounds and plays really well, but I only strum it nowadays. Fingers and dexterity aren't what they used to be.

I wish I could get the L'Arrivee to sound as good as on that Simon Bradley video (yes, I know, not having an expensive recording set up that's been eq'd to within an inch of its life doesn't help, but you know what I mean).

I've tried a couple of others over the years - there was a Brook Tamar that I just couldn't get on with at all (which I'm still embarrassed about, because everyone else loves them and I wanted to as well) and an Avalon L2-20 that was basically a beautiful but very expensive version of the Martin jumbo kit I already have. So because I'll never be able to sell the kit, I sold the L2-20 instead.
    If you must have sex with a frog, wear a condom. If you want the frog to have fun, rib it.
  • bertiebertie Frets: 12145

Four.

An Avalon A-200CE - I know it has rosewood back and sides, and ebony fingerboard, but I can't remember what the top is
    A Lowden OM-02
    A Martin kit that I built myself - a jumbo with rosewood back and sides, spruce top, ebony fingerboard and bridge
    A Stew Mac dreadnought kit that I build myself - rosewood back, sides and fingerboard, spruce top, and a bolt-on neck

do you mean Larrivee  mate ? 
    just because you don't, doesn't mean you can't
     just because you do, doesn't mean you should.
  • TheOtherDennisTheOtherDennis Frets: 2010
    edited January 2023

bertie said:

Four.

A Lowden OM-02

do you mean Larrivee  mate ? 
    Yes, I do, Apologies. I'd just been reading someone else's thread about Lowdens and it must have stuck. I've amended it now.
    If you must have sex with a frog, wear a condom. If you want the frog to have fun, rib it.
    Yes, I do, Apologies. I'd just been reading someone else's thread about Lowdens and it must have stuck. I've amended it now.
    its a subliminal message from George
  • thomasross20thomasross20 Frets: 4353
    Mellish said:
    One, it's all I'm allowed.

To get another, I'd have to move this. Dove on and that ain't happening - ever.

:) 
    Mellish you naughty boy, just reading back this comment lol
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • MellishMellish Frets: 945
    What can I say? =) 

Seriously, gigging it gave me shoulder ache that became apparent after a few weeks. 
    I got where I didn't even want to play so, reluctantly, I let it go. 

:) 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • thomasross20thomasross20 Frets: 4353
    haha all good , my friend! :)
  • guitarjack66guitarjack66 Frets: 1397
    Two acoustics,one electric at present. Another acoustic,a parlour and either a strat or 335 budget version to be added soon.
  • GoFishGoFish Frets: 1082
    I haven't played much acoustic ni a few years, so was thinking of dipping my toe back in when I passed the Yamaha shop last week. Tried their LL16 and LL6.

The 16 felt more refined at the top end and nice to play, heavier than the LL6, seemed plinkier than the LL6 on the A and D strings - Not strangled or catching, just much more restrained and smaller sounding. The LL6 was lighter, sounded "brasher" overall, was louder to my surprise and the top end wasn't as sparkly. The bass strings seemed to resonate far more, particularly the A and D, the E was boomier too, The lighter weight and marginally higher action made it seem more rough n' ready, but also a wee bit more playable in a campfire-y way. The strings felt a wee bit older, but I was surprised and confused by the differences.

They had another LL6 which seemed remarkably consistent sounding with the one i tried. No more LL!6s for comparison.

Side Note: The Yamaha store has had a slight makeover since my last visit - I was not impressed by the dark lighting, ambient noises or the lack of opportunities for any serious comparisons. Was much more like a showrooom with indifferent staff. It probably works to sell more amplified intruments and keys though.
    Ten years too late and still getting it wrong
    two more than I currently want (need) to.......................
  • GoFishGoFish Frets: 1082
    D'oh! I forgot to say I have , um, some...

4 I think - Dread - Yamaha from the early 80s. Seen better days but some nice woods. Needs changing really.
                    12 string - Takeharu signature from late 70s? Need new strings
                    OMish size - Guild GAD with about 2ft of poly coating the guitar. Strings and setup needed.
                     Kiso Susuki parlour for a sofa guitar - compact and the neck  / fretboard feels like a Gibson 50s profile so easy for the                      electric          players to adjust.

I think I have a nylon classical jobbie somewhere too...

Ten years too late and still getting it wrong
  • guitarjack66guitarjack66 Frets: 1397
    Are Archtop guitars,modern ones,generally more expensive than our regular flat tops? Is this due to a more difficult manufacturing process or something else entirely?
  • droflufdrofluf Frets: 3144
    Are Archtop guitars,modern ones,generally more expensive than our regular flat tops? Is this due to a more difficult manufacturing process or something else entirely?
    I suspect a combination of a more complex manufacturing process and reduced demand combine to make them more expensive.