Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). How many acoustics do you own? - Acoustics Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

How many acoustics do you own?

What's Hot

Comments

• DonnyMac said:
    I'm only 3 years into my guitar learning journey so don't have the knowledge or experience to know what I would want from another guitar, so I only have the one for now - an Eastman E20-OM, which I love. 
    I am only 3 years in but by now I have definite ideas on what I want. Affording them is another story though!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • daveyhdaveyh Frets: 648
    Just the one, a Gibson J45
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Avalon 12 string - a professional standard guitar in terms of construction, interesting complex tone.

Martin D16 - A great standard robust guitar, with a neutral tone, perhaps not found in more expensiv Martins.

Furch Cedar 6 string,although inferior in terms of both tone and construction , I personally prefer the sound and feel, which perhaps shows money does not always buy the best.

Also Paul Simons 1966 Guild 12string.

And a Gibson J45 that B,Dylan used for recording in tithe early 60’s
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • 6 … I think?
    Washburn D28
    Yamaha 12 string (with hopelessly high action)
    Alvarez baritone jumbo
    Moondog single cut
    PRS parlor thing
    Gretsch resonator

The Washburn is the one I’d not part with
    The rest I’d honestly chop up for firewood, if needs be, come the apocalypse  :)
  • MellishMellish Frets: 945
    @Smellyfingers ; a J45 once owned by Bob Dylan...wow!!

How did you come by it and what do you think of it tone wise?

:) 
  • FezFez Frets: 472
    Only one
    Don't touch that dial.
  • ditchboyditchboy Frets: 186
    ditchboy said:
    ditchboy said:
    2. A GS mini in walnut. 
    An OM28 finished in sunburst. 
    I thought I was done with those but I’m really after a Larrivee hog om40. 
    I tried an OM28 some weeks ago and have to say preferred my Larrivee's, still. 
    Try an OM-02. Different bracing and TBH I prefer it - also cheaper and same build, just less bling.
    What was the main differences?
    OM02 bracing is the main functional difference. The OM40 is braced to give a bit more bass but imo the OM02 has more of the Larrivee sound which you have to try to hear. In fact check out the OM02 Guitarist demo by Simon online and this is exactly what it sounds like. 

I think I slightly prefer the finish on the OM03. Just looks a little nicer to my eye. 
  • KilgoreKilgore Frets: 8107

Also Paul Simons 1966 Guild 12string.

And a Gibson J45 that B,Dylan used for recording in tithe early 60’s
    Essex Recording Studio?
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • SmellyfingersSmellyfingers Frets: 842
    edited December 2022
    Mellish said:

It's got a wonderful, open tone, especially that the very ancent strings are infused by the sweat from young Mr Zimmerman's fingers.

You can actually taste the salty fearfulness of his inspiration in those tangy strings. For historic reasons I have chosen not to change them, aware that this guitar was there and probably responsible for, many of Bob's break through moments.

How did I come by it.? Well it was gifted to me but Mr Dylan himself. We have a very deep but very private relationship. In fact our friendship is so special: that out of respect for my privacy Bob has decided never to refer to it or even mention it publicly. 

So it was given as a confidential token of personal  appreciation for our many inspiringing conversations. .

But, sadly I have decided that, tonesome that it is, it is not really the guitar for me. 

In fact, if I am honest with myself, I feel the instrument might deseve a more worthy home(subject to a thorough inspection). But it would obviously  still be quite gutwrenching to have to part with it.

I am sorry I can't enclose a pic at the moment, because you will understand that the image of this acousyic piece just too special to share on a public forum.

3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • droflufdrofluf Frets: 3144
    There’s a broker in Southend who I’m sure will be pleased to handle a discrete, understated sale and will use the proceeds to benefit local musicians. 
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • MellishMellish Frets: 945
    I think I'm being had there ;) 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    Mellish said:

It's got a wonderful, open tone, especially that the very ancent strings are infused by the sweat from young Mr Zimmerman's fingers.

You can actually taste the salty fearfulness of his inspiration in those tangy strings. For historic reasons I have chosen not to change them, aware that this guitar was there and probably responsible for, many of Bob's break through moments.

How did I come by it.? Well it was gifted to me but Mr Dylan himself. We have a very deep but very private relationship. In fact our friendship is so special: that out of respect for my privacy Bob has decided never to refer to it or even mention it publicly. 

So it was given as a confidential token of personal  appreciation for our many inspiringing conversations. .

But, sadly I have decided that, tonesome that it is, it is not really the guitar for me. 

In fact, if I am honest with myself, I feel the instrument might deseve a more worthy home(subject to a thorough inspection). But it would obviously  still be quite gutwrenching to have to part with it.

I am sorry I can't enclose a pic at the moment, because you will understand that the image of this acousyic piece just too special to share on a public forum.

Ah I see, the salty sweaty strings explains your user name. Wonderful story though. Can you make one up about Paul Simon's guild as well?
  • SmellyfingersSmellyfingers Frets: 842
    edited December 2022
    drofluf said:
    There’s a broker in Southend who I’m sure will be pleased to handle a discrete, understated sale and will use the proceeds to benefit local musicians. 
    A discrete understated sale is an excellent idea.

The problem with go through an Essex broker, is that the eventual custodian of this Gibson might for whatever reason come to doubt it’s unique provenance.

That just would’nt be fair on the guitar, Bob or me and especially not  on a possible eventual guardian of this historic instrument. 

You may be aware that can be extremely irksome to own and love an object, but for some pesky detail, not to 90% believe in it. Why would anyone want to torture themselves?

Are you possibly able to make another suggestion, please?
  • Kilgore said:

Ah I see, the salty sweaty strings explains your user name. Wonderful story though. Can you make one up about Paul Simon's guild as well?
    Viz Mrs Robinson, the Paul Simon piece is too precious ever offer to anyone, at all.
  • droflufdrofluf Frets: 3144
    drofluf said:

The problem with go through an Essex broker, is that the eventual custodian of this Gibson might for whatever reason come to doubt it’s unique provenance.

That just would’nt be fair on the guitar, Bob or me and especially not  on a possible eventual guardian of this historic instrument. 

You may be aware that can be extremely irksome to own and love an object, but for some pesky detail, not to 90% believe in it. Why would anyone want to torture themselves?

Worry not for I’m reliably informed that this honest merchant of the jewel in Essex’s crown has a reputation that is of unquestionable virtue, although if I’m honest I’m unsure of the exact wording of said question. 
    Kilgore said:

Viz Mrs Robinson, the Paul Simon piece is too precious ever offer to anyone, at all.
    I know what you mean. Robert Johnson bequeathed his Gibson L 1 to me on his death bed. I could never part with it.
  • drofluf said:
    drofluf said:

Worry not for I’m reliably informed that this honest merchant of the jewel in Essex’s crown has a reputation that is of unquestionable virtue, although if I’m honest I’m unsure of the exact wording of said question. 
    Thank you, but tbh I would need more persuasion to want part with it. I am still very much in two minds if I should in fact keep it, if I can’t find a suitable curator/owner. I have to think about what’s right.

• ditchboy said:
    ditchboy said:
    ditchboy said:
    2. A GS mini in walnut. 
    Try an OM-02. Different bracing and TBH I prefer it - also cheaper and same build, just less bling.
    OM02 bracing is the main functional difference. The OM40 is braced to give a bit more bass but imo the OM02 has more of the Larrivee sound which you have to try to hear. In fact check out the OM02 Guitarist demo by Simon online and this is exactly what it sounds like. 

I think I slightly prefer the finish on the OM03. Just looks a little nicer to my eye. 
    Do let us know what you end up getting :)
    ditchboy said:
    ditchboy said:
    ditchboy said:
    2. A GS mini in walnut. 

Do let us know what you end up getting :)
    What do you think of the walnut on frets? Too much money? 
  • bertiebertie Frets: 12145
    edited December 2022
    ditchboy said:
    What do you think of the walnut on frets? 
    this line confuses me , 

(unless Fret is a person that has a walnut guitar of course  )
    just because you don't, doesn't mean you can't
     just because you do, doesn't mean you should.
  • MikeSMikeS Frets: 2103
    edited January 2023
    Just so used to electrics for so long, that playing an acoustic feels so awkward. But, I do have a few.

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    bertie said:
    ditchboy said:
    What do you think of the walnut on frets? 
    this line confuses me , 

(unless Fret is a person that has a walnut guitar of course  )
    Sorry I should clarify. There’s a walnut Larrivee for sale at frets guitar centre. 
  • Walnut has very deep bass which is great but I find it doesn't have the treble sparkle that mahogany has. But I prefer it to rosewood.
  • Cig35Cig35 Frets: 61
    Cig35 said:

So at the moment 6, but in reality "only" 4.
    But there is a 00 on order coming

And to avoid it getting stuck over the holidays with a courier I've just gotten the tracking info for the shipment of the new guitar, so now I just have to wait for it to arrive.

0reaction image LOL 5reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Sweet Lord...
    edited January 2023
    Well. a black burst may not be to everyone's liking, but that's the way I wanted it and I love the contrast to the natural wood and how well it matches the dark parts of the black limba on the sides
  • I said it in a good way - looks amazing!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    Thanks. No worries, I took your comment in a good way too even if my reply could easily be misinterpreted.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • All good, my friend - would love to see a demo of this guitar!
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 24852
    edited January 2023
    @Cig35 That thing looks amazing. Similar to a black-topped Atkin that Coda were tempting me with a few month ago. 

The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires