Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). Baum Guitars anyone? - Guitar Discussions on The Fretboard

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

Baum Guitars anyone?

What's Hot
Rich31kRich31k Frets: 705
edited April 2022 in Guitar
There doesn’t seem to be a loads about Baum on the internet. 

They are a Danish company and make very expensive hand made guitars, but they’ve branched out into having guitars made in South Korea and shipped to Denmark for QC/set up. 

A bit like Fano Omnis and Reverend. 

They make their own pickups, and I think the guitars look pretty stylish - they sound good to me in the videos I’ve seen. I think the headstock will be a bit marmite. 

Does anyone have one? Or have experience of the more expensive made in Denmark ones? 

They’ve been fairly heavily marketed on Instagram. 

Andertons have a 20% off sale on them at the moment. They’re about £880 for non-Bigsby and £950 with.

0reaction image LOL 4reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter

Comments

• NeilybobNeilybob Frets: 505
    That first one, the black one looks cool. Would have to play one first. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • LewyLewy Frets: 3795
    By coincidence I happened upon them last night when I was Googling to see who Mirr Music in Korea make guitars for apart from Reverend. Having recently acquired a couple of Reverends and been very pleased with them I was curious about what else was coming out of that factory. 

These look very cool (although I don’t love the bulgy but in the headstock) 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Rich31kRich31k Frets: 705
    Lewy said:
    By coincidence I happened upon them last night when I was Googling to see who Mirr Music in Korea make guitars for apart from Reverend. Having recently acquired a couple of Reverends and been very pleased with them I was curious about what else was coming out of that factory. 

These look very cool (although I don’t love the bulgy but in the headstock) 
    I bought a Reverend recently, which I was pleased with too - the neck feels great. Didn’t know they were from the same factory. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • SteveRobinsonSteveRobinson Frets: 6565
    tFB Trader
    The first one looks great, the others not so much
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • freakboy1610freakboy1610 Frets: 1178
    I think they look pretty good and some of them come with a cooler Strat style headstock. I reckon the build quality will be good judging by where they're made. I couldn't live with the blob headstock though.
    Link to my trading feedback
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • OffsetOffset Frets: 9212
    The gold Firebird-esque number initially looks intriguing... but then your eye is drawn to that poultice-hanging-off-a-hospital-balcony headstock.
  • guitarjack66guitarjack66 Frets: 1397
    Not for me Clive. To digress a little,I saw Phil McKnight talking up a company named Framus as an excellent company but their guitar reviews on Thomann are a bit patchy.
  • SporkySporky Frets: 23802
    Rich31k said:

Andertons have a 20% off sale on them at the moment. They’re about £880 for non-Bigsby and £950 with.

I quite like the first two and last one, but the prices can't be right - more expensive with a Bigsby? :s
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • foskfosk Frets: 134
    Not for me Clive. To digress a little,I saw Phil McKnight talking up a company named Framus as an excellent company but their guitar reviews on Thomann are a bit patchy.
    Framus is Warwick, they’ve been around for years, and their amps were pretty highly sought after in the metal scene years back.
    fosk said:
    Framus is Warwick, they’ve been around for years, and their amps were pretty highly sought after in the metal scene years back.
    Did they make guitars too?
  • foskfosk Frets: 134
    fosk said:
    Framus?  Yeah, guitars and amps.  Framus is an old company whose names was revived by Warwick in the 90s.  Unless you mean Warwick?  Who are one of the biggest bass companies around.
    fosk said:
    Framus?  Yeah, guitars and amps.  Framus is an old company whose names was revived by Warwick in the 90s.  Unless you mean Warwick?  Who are one of the biggest bass companies around.
    My mate has a signed Jack Bruce Warwick bass.  It's phenomenal(ly heavy).  And I'd imagine he paid £4-5k for it.  Awesome piece of kit though.
    fosk said:
    fosk said:
    Yeah,I'd never heard of either company name to be honest.
  • joetelejoetele Frets: 944
    Stefan off The Pedal Zone plays a couple of Baums, they look very nice. The black one in particular is really stunning (bulge notwithstanding). 
    MUSIC: Pale Blurs
  • SunburstSunburst Frets: 96
    I haven't heard of Baum guitars before but must say I really like the look of them, really fresh designs and I could live with the headstock, just about.
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 20197
    fosk said:
    fosk said:
    Yeah,I'd never heard of either company name to be honest.
    Framus had a couple of well-known users back in the '70s - Jan Akkerman and later Rik Emmett.  More recently they've tried to get a following with rock/metal players - Devin Townsend, Mark Morton, Phil X, Stevie Salas and Wolf Hoffmann have all had signature models.

Coming back to Baums, they look alright.  Vintage but modern.
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30022
    I've got a Framus banjo.
    It's lovely.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • MaakMaak Frets: 52
    These are on sale again at Andertons.  This time the ones with the bigsbys are cheaper.  I've ordered the white/gold wingman model.  Hopefully it sounds as good as it looks!   I'm into the weird headstock. 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • WhitecatWhitecat Frets: 5078
    Baum are about to introduce an even lower cost import line too, this time made in Indonesia. 

https://baumguitars.com/vega/
    Whitecat said:
    Baum are about to introduce an even lower cost import line too, this time made in Indonesia. 

https://baumguitars.com/vega/
    I saw those, I really like the look of them!

• That mystic green double cut has got my name written all over it. Sold. 
    I'd rather save up and have a Trent.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Offset said:
    I'd rather save up and have a Trent.
    It’ll be better built but the aesthetics aren’t really comparable 
  • I like the Wingman; the others look like they're trying a bit too hard to be "cool"
  • Maak said:
    These are on sale again at Andertons.  This time the ones with the bigsbys are cheaper.  I've ordered the white/gold wingman model.  Hopefully it sounds as good as it looks!   I'm into the weird headstock. 
    Yeah I really want a Bigsby guitar....without modding the ones I have that are good as they are. These look great! Please report back. 
  • Rich31kRich31k Frets: 705
    Maak said:
    Yeah I really want a Bigsby guitar....without modding the ones I have that are good as they are. These look great! Please report back. 
    I’d be interested in hearing how you find it too - quite tempted by the bigsby one
    edited September 2022
    Maak said:
    Will do.  Although as someone who has never owned a jazzmaster or a guitar with a bigsby it might not be very helpful! 

Initial thoughts are;  It's beautiful, and not as heavy as I thought it would be.  I haven't weighed it but it's about the same as my tele and strat.  It's really comfortable to play and nicely set up.  I can't spot any flaws There's a scratch in the fingerboard (picture below) which I've only just noticed, aside from that the build quality is really good.  You also get a branded swag bag with coa, qc checklist, and leaflet which is a nice touch.  

The sound?  I'm not sure how it compares to a jazzmaster since I've never played one.  The pickups are called 'jabmaster' so I imagine they are meant to be in the same realm.  I would say the youtube demos of the guitar/pickups are a fair representation of what they sound like.  Quite a crispy top end.  I am planning to change the pickups to p90s.  The pickups aren't bad at all, just not what I'm looking for at the moment.  

Overall (despite the impending pickup change)  I am really happy with my purchase.  It plays really really nicely.  I was expecting it to be a heavy beast, and it's not.  And I'm a total sucker for the looks.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Any pics, would be nice to see some real world pics of these?
    edited September 2022

I'm yet to peel off the plastic protection.  It takes me ages to do that with guitars/screens etc!  
    0reaction image LOL 8reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    edited September 2022
    I've just noticed the scratch on the fingerboard close up I've taken!