Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). Thumb Position for chords - Technique Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

Thumb Position for chords

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• sev112sev112 Frets: 2457
    bertie said:
    sev112 said:
    A lot of people seem to think that a F chord (or any of the e shape barres up the neck) require one to barre all 6 strings!?
    whereas it is much easier to just barre the top E and B, and use the tip of the finger to get the 1st fret on the Low E.

but an F barre and E barre (shape defining not note defining) are two separate things, one required a straight finger across (but not necessarily fretting) all the strings , and the other  one doesn't  

unless Ive misunderstood what you've written  
    Yes, I meant playing F F# G G# … etc chords up the neck using the E shape and a first finger barre :)

and noting @Tannin ’s comes t about G7 (or any other chords that might need more than the 2 strings barred etc) , yes I concur,  but I’d add that not many people complain about many chords, but almost everyone does about F on the first fret :)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • bertiebertie Frets: 12145
    edited April 2022
    sev112 said:
    Yes, I meant playing F F# G G# … etc chords up the neck using the E shape and a first finger barre
    gotcha

but I’d add that not many people complain about many chords, but almost everyone does about F on the first fret

except me
    just because you don't, doesn't mean you can't
     just because you do, doesn't mean you should.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • BigPaulieBigPaulie Frets: 733
    If I'm picturing your hand position correctly it is much different than the way mine is when playing that E shaped partial barre.

However, that is not to say it's "wrong".

Why are you looking to change your technique? Is it causing a problem for you?