Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). NBD - Overpriced beaten up bolt on next junk - Bass Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

NBD - Overpriced beaten up bolt on next junk

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24559
    proggy said:
    Love that. Then again, I love Jazz Basses.
    Good choice.
    I find your abundance of taste satisfying

:)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • maw4neumaw4neu Frets: 526
    Nice ! ! . . . 
    Id just like to point out that, despite all the video and DNA evidence, it genuinely wasn't me, your Honour  ! 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • horsehorse Frets: 1502
    I'm pretty much 100% bass these days. Recently it occurred to me that I didn't actually possess a half decent fretted bass - most of the time I've been playing my fretless. 

Have you not got that 60s P any more?

Nice jazz btw
    horse said:
    I'm pretty much 100% bass these days. Recently it occurred to me that I didn't actually possess a half decent fretted bass - most of the time I've been playing my fretless. 

Nice jazz btw
    No, 60’s P went a while ago - too much cash tied up in it and it was never getting gigged or used much. 
  • horsehorse Frets: 1502
    horse said:

Nice jazz btw
    No, 60’s P went a while ago - too much cash tied up in it and it was never getting gigged or used much. 
     Wow - thought that might have been one for life - nice to have taken care of it for a while though I guess
    horse said:
    horse said:

Nice jazz btw
     Wow - thought that might have been one for life - nice to have taken care of it for a while though I guess
    Yeah. It was a great bass, but hugely expensive for something that was becoming an ornament 
  • That is stunning

@Funkfingers - I've caved in.

John East J-Tone with vintage Fender knobs on order.

The J-Tone is a three-knob arrangement that has Master Vol/Blend on knob 1, Bass/Treble on knob 2, and a Passive Tone on knob 3 with a push/pull for active/passive.

Gives you full passive vol/blend with tone, or active with Bass/Treble and Tone. You also get two gain wheels inside to set the boost for the actives, a set of tone jumpers to set the passive tone type, and an overall gain control on the underside. 

I can always stick the stack knobs back if I don't like it - but it's an East.. so I'm bound to....
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 13312
    Wot? No semi-parametric midrange controls?
    Be seeing you.
    Wot? No semi-parametric midrange controls?
    Nah - don’t need that complicated stuff - just some good old +18 bass boost :D
    Ah, yes. The four-knob East J-Tone requires the output jack socket to be relocated to the body edge. Non-reversible and not remotely 1962.
    Be seeing you.
    Ah, yes. The four-knob East J-Tone requires the output jack socket to be relocated to the body edge. Non-reversible and not remotely 1962.
    Indeed. Which is why I went for the two-stack and one non-stack knob option with jack socket on the plate

I can't help mess about with stuff, which is often the way I guess..

The Lindy Fralins are excellent. As a bass, I'm loving it. Superb neck, probably one of the best I've played (surprisingly). Love the look and the vibe. 

The only bit I'm not really getting on with entirely is the stack knobs. They are just too, eh, finicky. I really don't like not having a master volume. I'd prefer a pickup blend and master volume. 

Anyway, as mentioned above, decided to get an East J-Tone. It arrived. Opted for the Master Volume/Blend version (obviously!). You get a Passive mode, and an Active mode. In passive you get Master Volume and Blend on the first stack knob, and Passive Tone on the third knob. In Active, the Second Stack Knob has Treble and Bass +/- 18db boost, and the tone is still a tone control. (Tone knob is push pull for active/passive).

The passive mode with blend and master volume is much more usable, and I'm much more comfortable with it. The active mode brings those Fralins to life - touch of bass and treble boost on the Neck pickup solo'd and it's superb. As close to P-Bass tone as you'll get. Roll in the Bridge on the blend and cut the Bass/Treble a bit and it brings in a bit of mid that you often lose with both pickups on a Jazz. Play around with the tone control as well and it gives some really excellent and usable tones. 

John does some really nice stack-knob Fender style knobs now and I like them a lot - really high quality. You also get 3 extra tone caps so you can change the tone cap on the tone control, and two balance wheels to set the type and range of the bass and treble boost.

It's a cracking upgrade for any Jazz - no soldering to fit it, all self contained in the standard control cavity, and great value for money as well. Highly recommended.

Bridgehouse said:
    The only bit I'm not really getting on with entirely is the stack knobs.
    The '62 stacked knob control configuration does offer a few sonic possibilities that the later NV, BV, MT does not but those are not sounds that get used very often. Worse, everyday settings, that ought to be quick and simple to achieve, take too long.

Be seeing you.
    Bridgehouse said:
    The only bit I'm not really getting on with entirely is the stack knobs.
    The '62 stacked knob control configuration does offer a few sonic possibilities that the later NV, BV, MT does not but those are not sounds that get used very often. Worse, everyday settings, that ought to be quick and simple to achieve, take too long.

This I have discovered.

Mr East does a sensible Vol/Blend unit which has scratched my itch nicely. It seems to retain the passive tone I had before but adds a dollop of nice active enhancement when required. Plus the controls actually work logically now. 
    IMO, the 1960-62 stacked pots system is entirely logical but, simultaneously, counter-intuitive.

If Geddy Lee had taken a '60 Jazz Bass (or overpriced, beaten up replica) on the Rush R40 Tour, it would have been for one song and with no changes of control settings.
    Be seeing you.