Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). NBD - Overpriced beaten up bolt on next junk - Bass Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

NBD - Overpriced beaten up bolt on next junk

What's Hot
BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24559
I'm pretty much 100% bass these days. Recently it occurred to me that I didn't actually possess a half decent fretted bass - most of the time I've been playing my fretless. 

Well, that had to change.. and having owned a few Fender Custom Shop guitars in the past I decided I should try a custom shop bass. 

I am also a P Bass guy. I've never owned a Jazz. In fact, the idea of a Jazz made me feel pretty sick actually. However, a little while ago I met up with some bass chums for a jam and found myself playing a mates AVRI Jazz. It was bloody lovely and I really liked it. A shower and a few slaps round the face later and I realised I ought to have a Jazz. 

Managed to find this one second hand by chance over on Basschat - someone messaged me saying they were thinking of selling. Now, this one is only about 6 months old, and was bought from Andertons (the original receipt is in the case along with all the usual candy). Was an obscene amount of money new at close to £4k, but this was being wafted under my nose for considerably less than that. So much so that I decided to go have a look at it. 

It's a '62 Stack Knob in Charcoal Frost. Bit of an unusual colour, but it grows on you. It's a mid-relic (not too heavy and not a light touch either) and is tasteful I think. Then again, I like relics. 

Oddly it came with 70's style slot saddles which I've swapped out for 60's style threaded saddles. It's also had some Super Light Gauge Chrome Flats put on it and a good set up. Action is really low - lower than any P bass I've had and no choking or buzz at all - bit of a novelty really as I usually like a bit of action height, but having set this really low I'm finding it rather comfortable. I play nearly 100% fingers so I can get away with a lower action most of the time anyway. 

Verdict? People actually pay that much money for a beat up bolt on neck bass from the shop? Yep. Seems they do. It's very lively, very vibrant, plays beautifully and sounds superb, so I'm not surprised they do. Glad I didn't have to pay that much tho..

It's a bit difficult to get a consistent colour in pictures - the Charcoal Frost seems to change depending on the light...

0reaction image LOL 12reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter

Comments

• darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 10322
    Nice, so do you feel the quality more in the sound or how it plays?

How does it compare to your vintage basses?
    We have to be so very careful, what we believe in...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24559
    Nice, so do you feel the quality more in the sound or how it plays?

How does it compare to your vintage basses?
    Probably a bit of both. It's very resonant - lots of sustain when you need it and it just feels more lively than a lot of basses. It's certainly a really good neck and board, beautifully shaped and very easy to play. Sound wise it's smack bang in vintage Jazz territory, but I'm probably going to swap the pickups out for Lindy Fralin Split Coils as they remove the hum when you solo one of them and they have a slightly more rounded sound (the split coils move the sound a bit more towards P bass but still very firmly in J bass territory). 

You can tell it's not a vintage bass. But, this is one of the best relics I've seen on a CS for some time - the lacquer checking is subtle and nicely done. The wear is just about right. It's very close to the feel of a vintage, not 100% but very close. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 13312
    Wot? No Harley-Benton JB-20 with a pickup upgrade? :astonished:
    Be seeing you.
    Wot? No Harley-Benton JB-20 with a pickup upgrade? :astonished:
    Too rich for my blood is that!!
  • Ooh, very nice. Though still not as good as a p bass :P 
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    Ooh, very nice. Though still not as good as a p bass :P 
    Hah! You know what, I’d normally have to agree with you - but I’m having so much fun with this one and it’s got a cracking growl to it 
  • That’s the second bass today that I’ve looked at and thought ‘bloody hell I want to play that’. I’m starting to feel like I’m being corrupted by the dark side. 
    That’s the second bass today that I’ve looked at and thought ‘bloody hell I want to play that’. I’m starting to feel like I’m being corrupted by the dark side. 
    Bass playing is a lot of fun. It’s both simple and complex, on the surface it seems easy, but there’s a lot of depth, technique, skill, and mastery to it. 

It’s very different to guitar, and it needs a different mindset. Certainly wouldn’t do your guitar playing any harm either. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • You and that bloody bench :D 
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    You and that bloody bench :D 
    Hah! I got a table and a porch shot in this time as well tho!!
    … a '62 Stack Knob …
    How are you going to cope without all the bells and whistles of an East UK pre-amp? 
    Be seeing you.
    … a '62 Stack Knob …
    How are you going to cope without all the bells and whistles of an East UK pre-amp? 
    Well, I do have a set of Lindy Fralin split coils on order, but I think I’m going to run them into the current stack knob passives for a bit - I’m actually enjoying the simplicity and the tone at the moment.

That’s not to say I’ve not eyed up a J-Tone already and wondered what the active part would add to the mix - given it can be run passive as well…. 

Watch this space I guess, but for the moment the passive stock setup is good enough. 
  • brucegillbrucegill Frets: 643
    edited November 2021
    Great colour too! Looked like LPB in the photos at first. Like that congrats
  • BorkBork Frets: 231
    This is what happens when you have too much time on your hands.

[This space for rent]

Lindy Fralin split coils fitted.

They are really very good. Vintage, a bit more oomph than singles but very close to vintage jazz, and no hum whatsoever.

Jolly good
    split coils [J pickups] fitted.

They are really very good. Vintage, a bit more oomph than singles but very close to vintage jazz and no hum whatsoever.
    Thank you for posting this. It has contributed positively to my decision to purchase a pre-owned DiMarzio DP148 Ultra Jazz Bridge pickup rather than something with vertically stacked coils.

This month, I have been mostly shuffling pickups about between three passive PJ bass guitars. The DiMarzio will go in my Squier VM Precision with either a DP146 Will Power Middle or one of those ancient P-types that DiMarzio manufactured for Hondo/S.D. Curlee in the late Seventies and early Eighties.
    Be seeing you.
    edited November 2021
    split coils [J pickups] fitted.

They are really very good. Vintage, a bit more oomph than singles but very close to vintage jazz and no hum whatsoever.
    Thank you for posting this. It has contributed positively to my decision to purchase a pre-owned DiMarzio DP148 Ultra Jazz Bridge pickup rather than something with vertically stacked coils.

This month, I have been mostly shuffling pickups about between three passive PJ bass guitars. The DiMarzio will go in my Squier VM Precision with either a DP146 Will Power Middle or one of those ancient P-types that DiMarzio manufactured for Hondo/S.D. Curlee in the late Seventies and early Eighties.
    As I understand it, the split coil approach to cancelling the hum retains more of the traditional jazz sound with a bit more depth and power, whereas stacked coils tend to produce a much more modern and deep tone and lose quite a bit of the jazz personality. 

Also, stacked coils don’t have the same mid scoop when both pickups are dimed compared to splits, which aren’t that far off true single coils

Course, the problem now is I have a pair of CS Jazz single coils begging to go into something. 
  • GuyRGuyR Frets: 1261
    edited November 2021
    Hang onto anything you take off the bass, to retain best value should you ever wish to move it on. 
    I bought a gold sparkle CS stack knob relic last year. The U-shaped neck profile wasn't for me in the end, but other than that a sublime bass. 
    I'm glad it suits you. It looks great. Enjoy it in the best of health.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Wait...you still play bass? 

My Trading Feedback    |    You Bring The Band

Just because you're paranoid, don't mean they're not after you
    Wait...you still play bass? 
    Pfft. Course I do. Just not when you're about....
  • Wait...you still play bass? 
    Intimidated? 

My Trading Feedback    |    You Bring The Band

Just because you're paranoid, don't mean they're not after you
    Wait...you still play bass? 
    Intimidated? 
    By your short scale?

Nah. ;)
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • prowlaprowla Frets: 4680
    It needs a refin.
    prowla said:
    It needs a refin.
    Do you think I should strip it and Tru-Oil it then?
    Respray in Pete Honoré purple metallic. :grin:
    Be seeing you.
    Respray in Pete Honoré purple metallic. :grin:
    Tasteful….!
  • prowlaprowla Frets: 4680
    prowla said:
    It needs a refin.

That would be an improvement! :-)
    prowla said:
    prowla said:
    It needs a refin.

That would be an improvement! :-)
    I find your lack of taste disturbing
  • proggyproggy Frets: 5721
    Love that. Then again, I love Jazz Basses.
    Good choice.