Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). NGD. It’s a good one… - Guitar Discussions on The Fretboard

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

NGD. It’s a good one…

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• DrumBobDrumBob Frets: 197
    Very authentic and very nice. 
    USA Guitarist/Drummer, semi-pro working musician, music journalist, author, radio DJ. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • NerineNerine Frets: 1659
    Loobs said:
    Oooh, bit coy, but ok. 
    Nah. Not coy. A rough idea can be gotten by having a look at various retailers. I’m not going to say what deal I got because people may expect a similar one when using the same shop and for all I know, it may not be the same on a different guitar if that makes sense. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    edited November 2021
    @Blaendulais, ;Yeah. I was happy with the price I got on my outgoing LP. It was essentially what I listed it for, so no arguments from me on that one. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • markjmarkj Frets: 851
    Still enjoying your R9? I will be on the hunt for one in the New Year but not a Murphy Lab version.
  • usedtobeusedtobe Frets: 3841
    That looks really nice!
     so if you fancy a reissue of a guitar they never made in a colour they never used then it probably isn't too overpriced.

• The relic is convincing. However the tone is rig+ht on the money. Nice score!
    I sometimes think, therefore I am intermittent
  • markjmarkj Frets: 851
    Any pointers for picking up a good one.
  • Nerine said:
    Loobs said:
    Oooh, bit coy, but ok. 
    Nah. Not coy. A rough idea can be gotten by having a look at various retailers. I’m not going to say what deal I got because people may expect a similar one when using the same shop and for all I know, it may not be the same on a different guitar if that makes sense. 

For those of us as clueless as me---unless I'm looking at entirely the wrong thing (which is possible) Murphy Lab '59 Les Paul models seem to be between £6k and £7k at Andertons and Peach. :o
  • welshboyowelshboyo Frets: 1774
    You know that “The One” thread - I think @Nerine ’s experience and feelings here are exactly what we would all strive for in looking for the “one”

The price and what he paid is his own business and that’s that - I for one would SERIOUSLY consider selling everything to get something like this R9 if it plays that good.

Jealous and Pleased for the man all at the same time!!
  • Envy- the grain of the wood looks like legendary(ie specially chosen), I
     assuming that gibson have not yet worked out to fake really genuine classic wood look in their varnish department.

Gotta ask how much? ( If that's not too vulgar)
  • 10thumbs10thumbs Frets: 426
    OMG ,That is epic .
    It is a handpicked top on this one, yes, so that did increase the price a bit, too. 

I’m still enjoying it massively. 

I did feel a little bit bad about my two Suhrs basically getting ignored though. So I have been playing those a bit recently, just so they don’t feel unloved. 

Either way, it’s the best Les Paul I’ve played by some stretch. 

I’ll likely do a bit of a proper update to this thread in the next few days. It’s been on my to do list. 
  • TINMAN82TINMAN82 Frets: 1844
    You’re playing ability does that guitar justice for sure. I’ll bet most that are able to afford these have half the ability. It’s gone to the right home, congrats!
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    Yes, so six/seven weeks on, what are my thoughts? 

I feel like I’ve had enough time with it now to be able to give a fairly balanced assessment. It’s had a lot of play time and I’ve done 8-9 gigs with it. 

The good: 

Every time I open the case, or strap it on at a gig, I just kind of gawp at it. The first gig I did with it was an almost biblical experience. I played like a man possessed. It felt like such an inspiring instrument. 

The tone of this thing (through a Friedman Small Box which I guess helps somewhat) is quite unlike any other guitar I’ve owned. It’s really balanced, but seems to really sit in a band mix. It’s got a throaty midrange that feels quite forward and chords seem to have a bit of a roar and grind to them. Lead sounds and solos are as you’d expect. Excellent. 

It feels very slinky under the fingers. Both of my Suhrs naturally have a longer scale length and I use 10’s on all of my guitars. They feel like 9’s on the LP. 

It’s comfortable. It’s not too heavy and the neck feels great. Especially now I have played the newness out of it. 

The indifferent: 

It has succumbed to the well documented and complained about finish flaking. There is an area just below the strap button on the top bout where the finish has flaked off. It’s not a problem to me seeing as the guitar has an aged finish anyhow. It’s not an area that I come into regular contact with, so I don’t envisage it getting really bad. It is what it is. It’s not a case queen guitar for me. I bought it to gig with and play the shit out of. 

The unpotted Custom Buckers. 
    Under a lot of gain and volume on the bridge pickup, I’ve had the occasional squeal. Nature of the beast. It’s not enough of a concern or frequent enough to be something I’d swap the pickups out for. 

This has only happened at stage volume when I’m in “all buttons on” epic mode playing some unaccompanied guitar to end out a song that had a huge solo in it or something. So all the gain, solo boost volume, all the delay and reverb etc. The amp is really very loud at this point and most of the time I am standing quite close to it. I think on a bigger stage it wouldn’t happen. 

So the verdict, overall, is still that it’s a killer instrument. When Gibson get it right, they really get it right. It looks great, plays great, feels great, sounds great. There’s not really a great deal that can be added. If anyone is in the market for one, again, as with any guitar, try before you buy. I made sure to try out absolutely everything and the winner came home with me.  

Anyway, here’s a bit of 80’s inspired wanky noodling fun on a track that I’m currently producing for an artist I’m working with: 

https://www.instagram.com/tv/CWbyzUzoPmr/?utm_medium=copy_link

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • robertyroberty Frets: 10231
    Sick playing mate

I daresay @OilCityPickups could sensitivity pot those pickups for you and squeal-proof them with no discernable side effects
  • dariusdarius Frets: 592
    This thread reminds me why I’ll never ever buy a Gibson LP. So much money for so many faults? I’m happy for you OP, good for you that you’re happy with it. Enjoy!
    But crikey, it could never play well enough for me to look past all those issues. I would want perfection at half that budget. 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Nerine said:

It has succumbed to the well documented and complained about finish flaking. There is an area just below the strap button on the top bout where the finish has flaked off. It’s not a problem to me seeing as the guitar has an aged finish anyhow. It’s not an area that I come into regular contact with, so I don’t envisage it getting really bad. It is what it is. It’s not a case queen guitar for me. I bought it to gig with and play the shit out of. 

Good man. Guitars are meant to be played, gigged with and enjoyed.

Nitro finishes can be delicate, they do flake but I imagine the finish could be touched up if needed be.

Btw, this is excellent my friend

• Wow that’s totally outstanding I could see Joe Perry Or Slash playing it ,happy NGD 
  • DavusPGDavusPG Frets: 403
    darius said:
    This thread reminds me why I’ll never ever buy a Gibson LP. So much money for so many faults? I’m happy for you OP, good for you that you’re happy with it. Enjoy!
    But crikey, it could never play well enough for me to look past all those issues. I would want perfection at half that budget. 

They're not really faults though are they and there aren't exactly "so many" of them as you say? 

@Nerine has made it clear that he's absolutely over the moon with his guitar with the exception of a couple of minor niggles, one of which is moot considering it's an aged finish. 

At the end of the day, guitars are tools to make music, and when played enough will soon be past the point of perfection anyway.

What would be your perfect guitar at half the price?

If anyone is interested, this guitar is currently up for sale on Reverb. My circumstances have changed and something has to give. 
    The Reverb price allows some wiggle room and some fees, and I’ve accepted in principle an offer from someone on there but the deal is gonna take another couple of weeks due to holidays and stuff and I’ve made it clear the guitar will remain listed in the meantime. 

There’s more pics and stuff on Reverb. I’m happy to divulge the price I’ve accepted to people who may be interested and if it’s matched, or REALLY close, a deal could be worked out. 

I dunno if you’re allowed to post Reverb links, so PM me I guess, if you’re interested. 
  • Absolutely stunning