Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). NGD. It’s a good one… - Guitar Discussions on The Fretboard

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

NGD. It’s a good one…

What's Hot
NerineNerine Frets: 1659
So as per my last FS thread. I was making way for a guitar that I have lusted after for the past 5-6 years. 

I’ll let the pictures do the talking: 

It’s a Murphy Lab light/medium aged R9 with handpicked top. 

As with any new guitar it needs a few little tweaks, but straight off the shelf, it’s hugely impressive. There are a few Gibson idiosyncrasies with the construction. In this case, the string angle from saddle to tailpiece when viewed along the neck from the body end is slightly offset. We’re talking a degree left or something. I didn’t notice until last night when I was making some intonation tweaks. Regardless, it’s not affecting anything. It stays in tune really well and plays really nicely, so I am not concerned about this at all. I thought the string spacing looked slightly out as well, but after confirming with a rule, it’s as near as damn it 11mm between every pair of strings. Think my eyes were playing tricks on me. Still, I’ve been playing it for 6-7 hours all told so far and I’m just enjoying it massively. 

You can just see the angle of the low E exiting slightly left in this pic: 

Am I concerned? No. 

So how does it sound?

It’s got that raspy top end on the bridge pickup but it doesn’t sound harsh. The middle position is honky, bright and thick, and the neck position under some gain is as flute like as you like with that slight “ping” from the pick attack. 

The controls are smooth, the neck is chunky for a ‘59, and it’s very comfortable. Weight is good. I tried out a few yesterday and whilst this wasn’t the lightest one, it felt the best overall. 

It’s the most unnecessary, egregious guitar purchase I have ever made, and it has that sort of charm that always seems to have alluded me on any other guitar I’ve owned. But it sounds like I’ve always expected a Les Paul to sound. It’s throaty, raw, clear, articulate etc. I could throw superlatives around all day, but it matters not. 

(Abstract alert): My absolute favourite thing about it, is that it isn’t “perfect”. When playing it, it feels like it wants to please. I know the ageing is “fake”, I know the price premium is silly, I know that. But already it feels like a companion. It’s truly the only guitar I’ve owned that feels like it has a soul. It absolutely sings. The notes pop, they bite. It sounds a bit angry. 

Colour wise, it’s browner on the eye than in the third picture. It’s not as cherry as that in person, and honestly I have had periods of time just looking at it as a piece of art. Every time I open the case, I get the “fizz”. I can’t walk past it without taking a minute to take it in. 

I’m looking forward to bonding with it over the coming months. I’ve got a couple of gigs this weekend, so I shall see how it performs. 

1reaction image LOL 42reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter

Comments

• Stunning!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • tony99tony99 Frets: 6650
    I wowed it in the other thread, and now I've wowed it in this thread. So that's now a double-wower you've got there, cherish it.
    Bollocks you don't know Bono !!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • VoxmanVoxman Frets: 4400
    Wow from me too you lucky bugger!  =) :)
    I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)
  • robertyroberty Frets: 10231
    This is the end game. Congrats :-) 
  • NerineNerine Frets: 1659
    https://www.instagram.com/tv/CV2xY2zoz82/?utm_medium=copy_link

I don’t know if this will work but here’s a short clip of a bit of noodling. 
    0reaction image LOL 4reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • chris78chris78 Frets: 8492
    Double wow from me too. It's one of the prettiest Les Pauls I've ever seen. I'd probably argue the top is too good for a real 59, but that's a nice problem.
    Where did you get it from if you don't me asking?
  • Nerine said:

Nice noodles and a great tone ! Congrats mate 
    chris78 said:
    Double wow from me too. It's one of the prettiest Les Pauls I've ever seen. I'd probably argue the top is too good for a real 59, but that's a nice problem.
    Where did you get it from if you don't me asking?
    Thanks, man. I got it from the good people at Coda. They have a great selection of LP’s in, currently. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • McTootMcToot Frets: 1977
    Nerine said:

That sounded absolutely epic and unlike the yoof of today, I don't throw that word around lightly. 

Curse my poor bladder control [skulks off for a change of jeans]. 

Beauty is in the eye of the beer holder

My trading feedback  - I'm a good egg  ;) 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • tony99tony99 Frets: 6650
    Nerine said:

outstanding noodles!! super noodles in fact
    Bollocks you don't know Bono !!
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • prlgmnrprlgmnr Frets: 3674
    sounds proper
  • That looks and sounds lovely. Go play the stripes off it!
  • Alex2678Alex2678 Frets: 909
    That’s the dream! Congratulations 
  • Congrats, looks a beauty. From your pic it looks like the issue could be that the slot in the saddle for the bottom E string is not centred in the saddle but cut slightly to the right. If that is the case it should be easy enough to get a replacement saddle with the slot in the right place. Lovely top on that one!
  • StrangefanStrangefan Frets: 5820
    edited November 2021
    I thought you said it was a good one?:D  that's just a pretend old guitar that is! 

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • markjmarkj Frets: 851
    Nerine said:

What amp, pedals etc?
    markj said:
    Nerine said:

What amp, pedals etc?
    Friedman Small Box combo. 

Channel 1. Almost clean. 

Keeley TS-9 in front. All controls at 2 o’clock on this occasion. 

MXR Reverb in the loop set to spring mode. Longer decay but slightly less mix. 

That’s it. Simple. 
  • markjmarkj Frets: 851
    edited November 2021
    Nerine said:
    markj said:
    Nerine said:

What amp, pedals etc?
    Friedman Small Box combo. 

Channel 1. Almost clean. 

Keeley TS-9 in front. All controls at 2 o’clock on this occasion. 

MXR Reverb in the loop set to spring mode. Longer decay but slightly less mix. 

That’s it. Simple. 
    Sounds killer. Beautiful guitar by the way, you’re a lucky man.
  • Looks a bit bashed up mate, hope you got sufficient discount.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    Looks a bit bashed up mate, hope you got sufficient discount.
    Didn’t even ask for a set of strings. 
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • OnparOnpar Frets: 383
    Guitars don't get much better than this. Congrats on an absolute stunner.

Fantastic playing as well. Can tell you are loving this guitar!

Does it have something special that maybe the R9s lacked a few years ago? I remember you said you weren't too impressed with them when you chose the Suhr Alt T over R9s and PRS. 
    Onpar said:
    Guitars don't get much better than this. Congrats on an absolute stunner.

Fantastic playing as well. Can tell you are loving this guitar!

Does it have something special that maybe the R9s lacked a few years ago? I remember you said you weren't too impressed with them when you chose the Suhr Alt T over R9s and PRS. 
    Well remembered. 

I wasn’t impressed with any of the 60th anniversary line that I tried. And it was quite a lot of them. They weren’t bad guitars, but they varied quite wildly in tone and feel. I didn’t get on with any of the examples I tried. 

Essentially this is ultimately a very similar guitar. I’ve always been a fan of Les Pauls, too. I have nothing against them. For whatever reason, this one spoke to me in a way that no previous Les Paul ever has. Including the Custom that I had for 13 years prior to getting this one. 

So, right guitar, right player, right time. 

Perfect storm, I guess. 

Interestingly, There was a 60th Anni R9 in the shop. I naturally tried it out. It didn’t sound as lively as the Murphy R9 that I eventually bought. It was a bit heavier and also didn’t have quite as much snap on the notes. Sounded duller and didn’t clean up as well on the volumes. It felt slightly less resonant somehow. It felt like it didn’t vibrate with the same vigour. Was quieter unplugged, too. 

As an aside, I did two gigs with the Murphy R9 this weekend. Two different bands. 
    It was a biblical experience.
    As utterly ridiculous as it sounds, I was welling up during the encore and after the set due to just being in awe of this guitar. It’s that good. It honestly feels like a weight has been lifted from me now I have one. 

I said to my dad “this is why I bought that guitar” then pointed to my face, eyes full and a stupid grin on my face. 

I’m utterly besotted with it. It’s a special, special thing. 

0reaction image LOL 5reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • tomajohatomajoha Frets: 822
    Haters gunna hate, but I've tried a few Murphy Lab guitars (and own a couple) and they seem something special, whether its the hard thin lacquer or magic pixie dust, they smoke my previous CS's. Like the OP its quenched my desire for anymore new Gibsons.

Enjoy it mate
  • LoobsLoobs Frets: 3782
    Dare I ask what that cost? 
  • Fishboy7Fishboy7 Frets: 1965
    Very nice. Looks like the perfect LP
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • bertiebertie Frets: 12145
    edited November 2021
    tis a lovely looking thing,  it has to be said  -      good GAS

EDIT

just listened to the soundclip -  cool,  cracking sound - lovely separation between neck/bridge,  perfectomundo   <3
    just because you don't, doesn't mean you can't
     just because you do, doesn't mean you should.
    edited November 2021
    Loobs said:
    Dare I ask what that cost? 
    Ultimately I got a deal I was happy with. The main take away is that it feels like it was worth every penny and faced with the same decision I’d do it again with no hesitation.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • LoobsLoobs Frets: 3782
    Oooh, bit coy, but ok. 
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • LogieLogie Frets: 428
    If it gives you that much pleasure it's definitely worth the money. Congratulations on a cracking guitar.
  • I hope they gave you a good deal on the white custom - seemed to sell straight away