Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). Songs that make you want to learn other instruments. - Other Instruments Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

Songs that make you want to learn other instruments.

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• thecolourboxthecolourbox Frets: 9128
    I bought a cheap and nasty mandolin in order to learn this song and a couple of others from the same soundtrack.

I learnt then, realised there was nothing else I wanted to learn on it as I wouldn't have time to get into proper bluegrass mandolin, then gave it away to a chap who, despite chasing me several times whilst awaiting me to drop it off for him, is yet to say thank you for it several years down the line.

I also realised this song sounded better on guitar anyway when I do it...
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • meltedbuzzboxmeltedbuzzbox Frets: 10333
    Flashlight - for that amazing synth bass line 
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • ewalewal Frets: 2359
    One of the first tunes I learnt after I could play trombone was Geno by Dexys Midnight Runners. I ended up doing an arrangement of it for brass band.

It's amusing to hear properly trained trombone players attempt to play it, as the blastiness of it goes against what they've been taught.
    The Scrambler-EE Walk soundcloud experience
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • When I first heard Toto and started to delve into their back catalogue in the mid 90’s, all I wanted to do was play the drums. Jeff Porcaro’s parts were so tactile and musical. They just draw you in!!
  • Ralph Vaughn Williams - The Lark Ascending

Beethoven - Violin Concerto

I don't know if I want to play violin or compose classical music... I watched the Aurora Orchestra play Richard Ayres No. 52 (exploring Beethoven's discovery of his deafness and sharing the news with his brothers - as Richard himself was going deaf) - the piece tries to describe the artefacts that interfere with normal sounds so we all can feel a little of what Beethoven felt... then they played Beethoven's violin concerto, led by Nicola Benedetti (written 4 years after discovering he was losing his hearing) - full of fire, determination and joy - I had something in my eye was all - I wasn't crying, you were crying! (what an absolute fighter he must have been!)

This Wednesday - Aurora Orchestra play The Firebird Suite as part of the proms with an introduction that's a must for any Zappa fans (Stravinsky was one of his role-models) it explains some of the theory and "theft" involved - We watched it on Sunday in one of their rural performances... The Firebird Suite has been a favourite of mine for about 30 years all told. I'm not a fan of the proms or a good percentage of the audience at any performance (what Theodore Adornos described as 'Jealous Listeners' .. "I prefer the blah-blah version..." ) - but the rooms this stuff is played in is a big part of the sound, and the audience are part of the acoustics (if they could just shut up about what Vivian is doing in Sicily this month, that'd be reet grand)

Aside from that Billy Taylor - made me want to play Piano

• axisusaxisus Frets: 27656
    Greg Howard playing Charmed life on Chapman stick - That first melodic bit, lovely!

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Anything by Larkin Poe gets me lookin at lap steels, but in the end I just stuck one of those raised nuts on an electric, tuned it to G, realised I was rubbish at it and took it off again.

Actually does lap steel count as another instrument?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Sambostar said:
    What is it? Flute and/or beer bottles?
  • axisus said:
    Greg Howard playing Charmed life on Chapman stick - That first melodic bit, lovely!

I fell for this too...how hard can it be, right? ;)
  • BorkBork Frets: 231
    edited August 2021
    I have musical taste that is verging on camp.  Only because music these days is more about feeling good than intellectual challenge.  So, I'm tossing any sense of musical credibility to the winds in the interests of at least making a contribution here

So...drums...Marc Cerrone.

http://https//www.youtube.com/watch?v=77uYNp4vQRU

In fact I'd never heard of him when I decided to take up drums but the guy who inspired me played a lot like him - solid, metronomic, four to the floor and in the pocket.  I still gravitate towards drummers who can nail the groove solidly to the wall...like Marc Cerrone.

Piano - or more specifically, rhodes...Selan.  We auditioned a keyboardist for my dance band many years ago.  He was Australian and turned up with a Nord Electro II, plugged it in and played a few inversions like Selan and all 10 of us stopped what we were doing went dead silent and just watched him, while the hair on the back of our necks collectively stood up.  We begged him to join up but he decided to emigrate back to Australia instead.  That was the one that got away and I've never had had such an intense aethetic reaction to any instrument since.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZmJCAR6qArE

So yeah, rhodes like Selan.  Master of those inversions and maintaining a tonal centre through a chord progression, a bit like Nile Rodgers.

[This space for rent]

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 27656
    axisus said:

I fell for this too...how hard can it be, right? ;)
    Too hard. I bought a chapman stick. Wrestled with it for years before finally putting it aside. 

Will try again one day, but it's been 10 years in its case now .....
  • bobblehatbobblehat Frets: 493
    Piano - Bohemian Rhapsody 
    Keyboards - Jump
    Whenever I hear Bohemian Rhapsody I always wished I'd learnt to play the Piano.
  • KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 16332
    Piano Mike Garson on Bowie's Aladdin Sane 'Lady Grinning Soul'. Still stunning every time I hear it.

Also with @Fuengi  Mandolin on Copperhead Road but also on Led Zeppelin 'IV'  Battle of Evermore.

The version by Heart is pretty damn good too 

• YorkieYorkie Frets: 934
    St. Thomas by Sonny Rollins. Got the jones, bought a cheap tenor sax, learned the tune from start to finish, and played it obsessively until I got the most horrifying jaw ache ever. I was in pain for weeks. Got very scared, sold the sax, end of the story. But what a ride.
    Adopted northerner with Asperger syndrome. I sometimes struggle with empathy and sarcasm – please bear with me.   
    My trading feedback: https://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/210335/yorkie

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • thermionicthermionic Frets: 8909
    The late, great, Tich Gwilym not only made me want to learn to play a Fender Stratocaster, he became friends with some South Americans in Cardiff and his side project Los Ionisos (also known as Los Guapos) started me on a minor obsession with the Charango.

https://youtu.be/8RIbzOAvyeI

I eventually got one, and can find my way around:

https://youtu.be/wzI_XzXXjBA

Love the sound of these things, but I would like to learn some South American music on it.
  • thegummythegummy Frets: 4382
    If I didn't already play keys, Pink Floyd's Sheep would make me want to play electric piano.
  • 0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter