Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). Recommended Luthiers & Techs - Guitar Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

Recommended Luthiers & Techs

What's Hot

Comments

• Mellish said:
    @AsterixTG ; when you pre booked, didn't you ask how long the work would take?  

EDIT :
    If they are busy, they may not be able to give you a quick turnaround.

And no, a messy workshop isn't a bad sign. 
    No, I didn't ask - I assumed, wrongly obviously, that when I booked something in a month away, I'd be booking a specific slot - as to how long... going on the rates charged, if they take more than a couple of hours then I have no idea how they make a living.

Messy is ok. Fair enough, alien to me, but, sure.

Anyway, live and learn - thanks for the confirmation.

I shall revert to my normal pessimistic way of things and suitably lower my expectations.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • MellishMellish Frets: 945
    @AsterixTG ; yes, you booked a specific slot, you're right about that but the turnaround time wasn't fixed.

Hopefully, it won't be long :) 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • CoolCatCoolCat Frets: 158
    23 pages in so not sure if this company has been mentioned.

Leicestershire Luthiers - Loughborough.

Good service and good value for money.

Welcome to Leicestershire Luthiers | Leicestershire Luthiers (leicestershire-luthier.co.uk)
    'Life is very short, and there's no time for fussing and fighting my friend' - Lennon & McCartney (We can work it out).
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • NCoNCo Frets: 44
    Any reccomendations for someone near SE London?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    CCGX :) 
    Mellish said:
    CCGX :) 
    Apologies, is that a response to me?
  • FelineGuitarsFelineGuitars Frets: 10901
    edited October 2022 tFB Trader
    NCo said:
    Mellish said:
    CCGX  
    Apologies, is that a response to me?
    It may have been although I'd say it was slightly more South West as it's near to Kingston, but a good reputation is often worth a bit of travel for . 
    Speaking of which, we are in Croydon so South East London /Surrey /Kent borders in a way

Many guitars have a re-sale value. Some you'll never want to sell.
    Stockist of: Earvana & Graphtech nuts, Faber Tonepros & Gotoh hardware, Fatcat bridges. Highwood Saddles.

Pickups from BKP, Oil City & Monty's pickups.

Expert guitar repairs and upgrades - fretwork our speciality! www.felineguitars.com.  Facebook too!

edited October 2022
    @NCo ; yes. Don't apologise as I should have been clearer. 

@Feline Guitars, who has also responded, is also quite capable. Take your pick. 

edited October 2022
    CCGX are in West London, almost an hour and a half each way.

Tried contacting Feline, lovely guys but I probably won't get the chance to make the journey.

Appreciate the suggestions!
  • FelineGuitarsFelineGuitars Frets: 10901
    tFB Trader
    NCo said:
    CCGX are in West London, almost an hour and a half each way.

Tried contacting Feline, lovely guys but I probably won't get the chance to make the journey.

Appreciate the suggestions!
    where in SE London are you?

Many guitars have a re-sale value. Some you'll never want to sell.
    Stockist of: Earvana & Graphtech nuts, Faber Tonepros & Gotoh hardware, Fatcat bridges. Highwood Saddles.

Pickups from BKP, Oil City & Monty's pickups.

Expert guitar repairs and upgrades - fretwork our speciality! www.felineguitars.com.  Facebook too!

edited November 2022
    Quick update, after a previous butcher job by a local tech/luthier, I dropped off my guitar with @FelineGuitars two days ago, and today it was all ready for pick up.

The guys there are wonderful, and the work they've done is incredible. They fixed the wiring, installed and beautifully slotted a new bridge, and also cut an unbleached nut. Well worth the drive, which was almost 4 hours in total for 2 return trips.

Only one major issue, I'm still a terrible player, but I guess even mojo won't fix that

For anyone in London or the SE, Feline are your go to. If you want a review of the 'don't go to', send me a message.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • CoolCat said:
    23 pages in so not sure if this company has been mentioned.

Leicestershire Luthiers - Loughborough.

Good service and good value for money.

Welcome to Leicestershire Luthiers | Leicestershire Luthiers (leicestershire-luthier.co.uk)
    What did you have done CoolCat? 
    they're the closest to me (Nige retired, lives in next village) but havent heard many reports since Nige retired.
    Nobody is guaranteed tomorrow.....

• Big shout for Pedro Martins in Hove. He took a very tired, very ordinary run-of-the-mill neglected dreadnought acoustic and has made it sing! Not the cheapest job, but well worth it. Thanks, Pedro!
  • A friend who lives in Billericay is looking for someone to repair a neck break on an acoustic guitar. It looks a fairly easy job. Recommendations for someone with the right skills in Essex?

https://www.dropbox.com/s/hkp89rsugqcek1s/neck_break1.jpg?raw=1

https://www.dropbox.com/s/tfzp7pvybuwb6rk/neck_break2.jpg?raw=1

https://www.dropbox.com/s/cjtc35weg2eruoe/neck_break3.jpg?raw=1
  • ditchboyditchboy Frets: 186
    stufisher said:
    I wholeheartedly recommend David Robinson in County Durham.

Last year he transformed my Ibanez AM93 into something magical and beautiful to play ... last week I bought a Gibson LP Trad that he'd overhauled and set up correctly ... I mean perfectly (better than Gibson's spec). It sounds astonishing; I've never heard or played anything this good.

David is really straightforward and easy to work with and very focused on 'you' ... and all-round good guy with a gift.

You can contact him via this email:
    heartandsoulguitars@btinternet.com
    I concur. David has just set up a new strat I picked up. Lovely bloke and the thing is playing like a dream. Thanks for the heads up @stufisher as he is fairly local to me. 
  • GazLionGazLion Frets: 103
    Can anyone recommend a guitar tech in Bristol City centre please? Got a strat that I want to trem block and set up 
    @GazLion ; you'll probably get more response if you ask in "Guitar" section.

:) 
  • Mellish said:
    @GazLion ; you'll probably get more response if you ask in "Guitar" section.

@Mellish I can't think of a thread more appropriate than this one!!?
    @digitalkettle ; of course, but if more visit "Guitar", more will see his call for help. 

• ditchboyditchboy Frets: 186
    Mellish said:
    @digitalkettle ; of course, but if more visit "Guitar", more will see his call for help. 

It’s already in the guitar section.  =)
    edited February 2023
    @ditchboy ; yes, but I was referring to posting other than in an announcement...... 

Never mind

;) 

• KittKitt Frets: 11
    Charlie Chandlers Guitar Experience in Hampton Wick. 

Very friendly and knowledgeable staff. 

Excellent repairs and set ups. 

Cool range of used gear. 

PLEK service. 

Reasonable prices. 

Nothing to not like. 

Highly recommended. 
  • guitarjack66guitarjack66 Frets: 1397
    Kitt said:
    Charlie Chandlers Guitar Experience in Hampton Wick. 

Very friendly and knowledgeable staff. 

Excellent repairs and set ups. 

Cool range of used gear. 

PLEK service. 

Reasonable prices. 

Nothing to not like. 

Highly recommended. 
    I'm so glad he isn't his location's rhyming slang!
    @Kitt ;

One of my favourites. If you can't get down there cos it's too far, they will arrange collection and delivery. 

• KittKitt Frets: 11
    Mellish said:
    @Kitt ;

One of my favourites. If you can't get down there cos it's too far, they will arrange collection and delivery. 

Thankfully it's a 30 minute drive (South London traffic not being up the spout). 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • marxskimarxski Frets: 201
    Just picked up my 59 reissue Strat and Eastman OM acoustic from Bristol Guitar Tech today. Fret dress and setup and are spot on. Very happy and reasonable cost.
  • TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2775
    Looking for someone to do a setup/fret level and dress around Daventry/Northants. Think I saw NoiseWorks in Coventry recommended a while ago, is that still a good recommendation? Their prices look very reasonable.
  • andymanandyman Frets: 55
    edited April 2023
    London: Stairway to Kevin on Denmark St. He seems to really know his stuff and managed to fix a guitar that a couple of other techs couldn't sort out. He even cleans the neck and oils the fretboard (which I'm not sure is standard? I'd not had it done before). 
    You pay a fraction more than at other places, but it's worth every penny.

My guitar literally feels like another instrument now. I'm so goddamned happy.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • stylesforfreestylesforfree Frets: 147
    Anyone know of a top notch amp tech in the Liverpool/Wirral area?
  • SiejenSiejen Frets: 31
    edited May 2023
    @TTBZ yes, John at Noiseworks Coventry is still excellent. Check opening times though before travel!