Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). Fully hollow and carved Les Paul - Making & Modding Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

Fully hollow and carved Les Paul

What's Hot

Comments

• WezVWezV Frets: 15793
    JayGee said:
    WezV said:
    SteveF said:
     Your bursts really are fantastic looking.  
    Thanks,  it still has some imperfections. 

It’s a hand built, hand finished one-off. It’s supposed to have imperfections... Or, as us (potentially) paying punters say “character”...

don't get me wrong, i'm okay with it.

I just know a lot of guitarists seem to think a unique hand made item should be absolutely perfect in every way.  I will get this close in a lot of ways, but not all of them.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • PeteCPeteC Frets: 399
    I think the rise of PRS has a lot to do with many guitarists now expecting pristine finishes. 
    Its made other companies up their game too regarding finishes. 

I love my 94 McCarty, and the other PRSs I have owned,  but have played quite a few of the mid range and budget PRSs that although they had very nice finishes indeed, were not that great to play. 

I'd much rather have an amazing playing instrument with some flaws and imperfections,  than a perfect looking guitar any day. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    The PRS factory do one thing over and over again for the most part, and they do it very well.   That's the best way to help build consistency, but I have no interest in doing it that way :D 

My finishing does compare well to the stuff on early hand made PRS
    Yes - the early stuff has character as does your latest build.   Is there a thread with your Thinline build Wez ? 
    thanks @WezV - will have a good read through. 
  • GuyBodenGuyBoden Frets: 724
    A great guitar build, well done, it looks great, the pickguard is superb.
    "Music makes the rules, music is not made from the rules."
    i remembered i need to make a bridge for this.

its going to be carved from a single piece of African blackwood.   I used an old european archtop bridge for the test fits so far, so that is my reference for the new bridge

That actually became 2 bridges.   one solid blackwood, and one base for a tune-o-matic.  Nice to have options.

They are just rough cut here, will be shaped more once the bottom is sanded to fit the carve

0reaction image LOL 8reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Andyjr1515Andyjr1515 Frets: 3068
    This is all looking pretty special...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    why thank you.

I have started to buff it out a bit, frets are leveled and board has been cleaned up and oiled

Just trying to decide on an appropriate level of shininess, but i think it might be about there.

Knobs shown here are some rosewood ones i was trying on for size
  • merlinmerlin Frets: 6199
    Insane @WezV. Another instrument that looks amazing. Cracking work Sir! Can't wait to hear it. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • PhilKingPhilKing Frets: 1391
    How are your tortoiseshell knobs coming on?  I think they will look great on it.
    PhilKing said:
    How are your tortoiseshell knobs coming on?  I think they will look great on it.
    Inserts turned up the other day so I need to get around to finishing some more off
    just had delivery of 3 German spruce wedge sets.   Buying archtop wood is not cheap, but Maderas barber in Spain had some lower grade sets in cheap and i decided to pick up a few.   

These are full size archtop sets, so plenty of room to work around flaws for smaller sized instruments.  But they are actually pretty nice tops.  some colour variation and flaws around the edges, but nothing i wouldn't be happy with anyway.  1 will get used relatively soon, the other two will just be saved 

I also have some english walnut being sawn for me soon - so that's a plan for the next one starting to form
    0reaction image LOL 4reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    Can’t wait to see what you have in store Wes. This last build has been fascinating to follow, thanks for sharing the build diary.  
    started to put it together

weighs in at 6lb.

Bridge is still a little high, but sounding great.  plenty of room to fettle it down to size

The plate here is another  i made from  the etsy material.  Its a slightly different size and shape to the other one, also has the "grain" of the tort going in a different direction, and it is not bevelled... looks totally different to the one  above
    0reaction image LOL 19reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • RolandRoland Frets: 8108
    I prefer that plate. The one above is too bright for the looks of the guitar.
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 7202
    Stunner! How did you do the finish? Do you have a full spraying setup?
  • Jez6345789Jez6345789 Frets: 1652
    Definitely your nicest looking build threads.  
    I have a smallish compressor and a few guns, but in all honesty I still need to work on doing it a bit better.... I used to have a dedicated space for spraying but am making do at the moment
  • danishbacondanishbacon Frets: 2588
    Absolutely amazing. 
  • GuyBodenGuyBoden Frets: 724
    A truly excellent build, the tune-o-matic bridge option is very practical.
    "Music makes the rules, music is not made from the rules."
  • LastMantraLastMantra Frets: 3819
    Those last pics may be the nicest guitar I've ever seen! 

Can't wait to see it totally finished. 
    Could you put some kind of mark on the knobs? I think even just a little dot/dimple would look perfect. 
  • PhilKingPhilKing Frets: 1391
    It's looking great Wez.  In the pictures though it looks almost like a 3/4 size (since there's nothing to judge it against).  The new scratch plate looks excellent.  Can't wait to see it with the electrics and knobs fitted.
    PhilKing said:
    It's looking great Wez.  In the pictures though it looks almost like a 3/4 size (since there's nothing to judge it against).  The new scratch plate looks excellent.  Can't wait to see it with the electrics and knobs fitted.
    I think that's just the classic archtop look on a small body... Throws the perception off.

• SteveFSteveF Frets: 505
    Those open-gear tuners really look great too. :) 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • kaypeejaykaypeejay Frets: 751
    I agree that the scratch plate is a much better fit for the guitar. Absolutely stunning build. 
  • SargeSarge Frets: 2221
    Absolutely stunning!
    I don't go in for jazz box type guitars too often, but the size, the burst and the position of the one pickup just calls to me. 
    Beautifully done mate. 
  • jmf1928jmf1928 Frets: 54
    Awesome man! I’m genuinely in awe of people who can work wood into art like this.