Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). Difficult Chord of the Day - Technique Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

Difficult Chord of the Day

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• GuyBodenGuyBoden Frets: 724
    edited April 2020
    Here's a very nice sounding Lydian chord shape.

I see/hear this as a stack of 5ths with a major 3rd on the bottom.

"Music makes the rules, music is not made from the rules."
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    edited April 2020
    Here's  a chord scale of Quartal (4ths) chord inversions.

Try the voicing using the notes FBGC, but at the 7th fret, it's rather nice sounding.

Ambiguously, they can be seen as an inverted 1st-4th-9th-3rd note voicing of a Major scale or just a plain 1st-4th-5th-9th of a Major scale.

Obviously, the shapes after the 12th fret can be played on lower frets, but using all 24 frets allows me to conveniently display all 7 inversions of the chord.

Have fun...........

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    Here's a nice voicing for a F6/9 chord. The root is on top, no 5th.

edited August 2020
    Here's a nice chord:

Yes, it's me on my headless.
    Here's some nice sounding Quartal voicings, they could be seen as rearranged quartal voicings or the 1st-5th-9th-11th notes of Major modes.

Here are some nice Allan Holdsworth type chords, the chord with the notes "DAGE" at the 10th fret is the opening chord for his "Looking Glass" song, but a bit easier to voice.

It's been a while, but here is a very nice sounding CMaj9 chord voicing without a third, so C Ionian or even C Melodic minor scale might fit over it, a very ambiguous open sound.

This Chord voicing could be applied to many things.

edited February 2023
    A nice chord to play for C Melodic Minor scale.

• AK99AK99 Frets: 1334
    JerkMoans said:
    What fresh hell is this thread? Aargh.
    Yes.
    It's like the cryptic crosswords in the broadsheets with nigh-on impossible finger stretching for added inadequacy :)
  • By coincidence I've been learning about chord extensions and naming chords so this has been quite a useful thread to read through. 
    For all those Melodic Minor fans, here's a bonus difficult chord of the day.

• robertyroberty Frets: 10231
    How have I only just found this thread
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • CrankyCranky Frets: 2109
    GuyBoden said:
    Here's a nice Melodic minor chord with the 5th in the bass, that works well with the Melodic minor scale.

The chord is shown in three positions on the fretboard.

I can see a green version and a yellow version - i am colourblind so can't see the other
    Yeah I can see two different colors, a yellowish and a pink
  • CrankyCranky Frets: 2109
    GuyBoden said:
    A nice chord to play for C Melodic Minor scale.

Isn’t this chord used on Lenny a bunch? (Except as A and B chords)