Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). ever played live indoors with sunglasses on? - Live Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

ever played live indoors with sunglasses on?

What's Hot
axisusaxisus Frets: 27656
It occurred to me how weird it was that Joe Satriani has played live for a great many years always with sunglasses on. I would have thought that it would make it more difficult to play? 

His reason: 
"The sunglasses thing happened as a joke. I surprised my band one tour by showing up with my head shaved. And they were so horrified that they said I had to wear a hat and glasses or they wouldn’t stop laughing on stage. Then I realized that having that curtain to hide behind allowed me to be more creative and feel less self-conscious. My buddy Sammy Hagar feels the same way. He says he can't go on stage without sunglasses because he's so embarrassed to be a singer. He's the last person you’d expect to think that way."

Slash is another wearer:
"I rarely look out at the crowd. It makes me very uncomfortable to look directly into the face of the crowd. I'm in my own little world, playing my guitar. I play from the heart - but it's very insular. I think it was just a hangover thing that turns into an everyday thing. Now, wherever you go, everybody's got camera phones, taking your picture, and you just end up never taking the shades off."

I don't play live myself, but I hate situations in life when I'm the centre of attention and people look at me (eg my wedding!), so I think if I ever played live I would have to get some sunglasses and get practicing with them!
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter

Comments

• PhiltrePhiltre Frets: 4110
    I always play gigs with a pair of Joo Janta 200 Super-Chromatic Peril Sensitive Sunglasses

6reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 15603
    Joe Bonamassa wears sunglasses live and I've read dozens of comments slagging him off for this but he says he's sensitive to bright lights and can't really play live without them. 

I think I've done it once but now I'd need varifocal prescription sunglasses otherwise it would effectively root me to the spot. 
    I’ll handle this Violet, you take your three hour break. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • steven70steven70 Frets: 1219
    edited May 2019
    Yeah I used to do it all the time, and yes honestly, tried to practice with them on, dimly lit room etc. I found cheap ones often worked better. The reasons were same as above, eye contact etc Only downside it can create some psychological distance between you and other band members. Rare occasions I gig these days, have a pair on my head - I know they are there and can slip them on if a meltdown is imminent. Crazy really... 
  • thecolourboxthecolourbox Frets: 9128
    Yes I do it sometimes, mostly because I'm that cool but also allows you to zone out
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 24852
    Joe Bonamassa wears sunglasses live and I've read dozens of comments slagging him off for this but he says he's sensitive to bright lights and can't really play live without them. 

I think I've done it once but now I'd need varifocal prescription sunglasses otherwise it would effectively root me to the spot. 
    I have no issue with JoBl wearing sunglasses. I just wish he wore sunglasses that looked good.

I wear glasses all the time which is more my “thing”, I guess. That said, I rarely step outside in daylight without sunglasses, so I would be fairly happy to indoors as well if it felt appropriate to a specific band
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 69426
    Yes.

Stage lights can be really bright.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    That's a lovely waist coat as well @ICBM ;
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • fastonebazfastonebaz Frets: 3775
    I wore sunglasses on stage when I was the guitarist in Rock if Ages.    I felt like the coolest dude in the world.

I've never worn them for a gig though.  Think I'd sweat too much and wouldn't be able to see
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 29588
    Sunglasses in a pub gig are in the grey ponytail bracket for me, sorry. 
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • pintspillerpintspiller Frets: 992
    My specs have reactive lenses, so I possibly do for a short while
  • GassageGassage Frets: 30192
    edited May 2019
    So, on the last Gilmour tour, the band wore sunnies for Run Like Hell (see clip) as the lighting was giving them headaches (I know the clip below is outdoors, but it made no odds in or out)

First night of the tour, Guy Pratt told me that I shouldn't watch Run Like Hell on two shows consecutively without wearing sunnies due to the intensity of the coloured strobes. The glasses also allowed the players to see their instruments better. I laughed.

I saw the first 3 shows (yes, I saw 16 shows in all) and by day 3, I had a migraine of epic proportions. It was ridiculous. So it's not always to look cool.

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

• drwiddlydrwiddly Frets: 896
    I wore sunglasses for an indoor gig once years ago. I thought I looked very cool but with hindsight, I probably looked a bit of a nob.
  • PolarityManPolarityMan Frets: 7159
    Once also with accompanying cowboy hat...was for a specific gig though, the singer wore a wizard hat, the bassist had a robe and the drummer had a jesters hat.
  • hasslehamhassleham Frets: 569
    I would do it if i didn't feel like a bell end wearing sunglasses to an indoor wedding haha. I wore them for a metal gig once and it helped me feel less self-conscious.

Gregory Porter is another person who does this! 

• OssyrocksOssyrocks Frets: 1660
    Once.

Years ago my band played a gig in a marquee in a farmers field for some kind of family occasion. It had been a warm sunny day, so I wore my sunglasses (prescription) to get there and setup. Come the evening I couldn't find my actual glasses in the car so I had no choice but to wear my sunglasses all evening.

Driving home at 1am in the dark was......interesting!

I found my specs the following day under a seat in the car.

Duh!
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 15603
    hassleham said:
    I would do it if i didn't feel like a bell end wearing sunglasses to an indoor wedding haha. I wore them for a metal gig once and it helped me feel less self-conscious.

Gregory Porter is another person who does this! 

IIRC Gregory has scarring which he chooses to cover up. I saw him live a couple of years ago, tremendous stuff but it was an outdoor gig on a hot day so I kept thinking about how sweaty his head was. 
    I’ll handle this Violet, you take your three hour break. 
  • PhiltrePhiltre Frets: 4110
    drwiddly said:
    I wore sunglasses for an indoor gig once years ago. I thought I looked very cool but with hindsight, I probably looked a bit of a nob.
    Yes, that's what I heard. ;-)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • GassageGassage Frets: 30192

I always make a point of assuming that anyone wearing sunglasses indoors is a professional TIG Welder.

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Dave_VaderDave_Vader Frets: 357
    Sometimes the lights are so bright I have to
  • FatPeteFatPete Frets: 683
    I did, back in the late eighties when I played in one of those goth/country and western bands - and a hat - and, sometimes, a scarf thing over my nose and mouth. It didn't make operating a non-backlit lcd drum machine any easier.

I'm second from the right, just in case any of you were wondering what I look like.

Trading feedback: Trading feedback
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    What on earth is a Goth country and Western band? Any listening suggestions??
  • BlueingreenBlueingreen Frets: 2506
    Have worn sunglasses onstage/indoors but playing bass in a disco/funk band where part of the act was silly outfits.  So glitter, wigs, fake moustaches, fezs, African robes etc etc, and shades extending from the orthodox to Bootsy-ish star-shaped or heart-shaped ones in pink green or yellow.  Nobody's idea of cool, but good times.

“To a man with a hammer every problem looks like a nail.”
    Genuine Chinese silk from Hong Kong :).

I'm surprised you noticed anything about what I was wearing in that pic though ;).

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

ICBM said:
    Genuine Chinese silk from Hong Kong :).

I'm surprised you noticed anything about what I was wearing in that pic though ;).
    I noticed the Dano as well
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • soma1975soma1975 Frets: 6304
    Aside from medical exemption people - Sunglasses inside people are worse than Hitler. Looks like a 5 year old playing dress up at being cool. To one-up that I filmed an interview with someone the other day who wore shades inside AND a mackintosh. And then we went outside AND HE CHANGED HIS JACKET!

Like that was his special indoor mackintosh. 

AGH!
    My Trade Feedback Thread is here

Been uploading old tracks I recorded ages ago and hopefully some new noodles here.
    5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    Ossyrocks said:

Years ago my band played a gig in a marquee in a farmers field for some kind of family occasion. It had been a warm sunny day, so I wore my sunglasses (prescription) to get there and setup. Come the evening I couldn't find my actual glasses in the car so I had no choice but to wear my sunglasses all evening.
    That's pretty much how Roy Orbison started the whole 'rock stars wear sunglasses all the time' thing. He was very shortsighted, and left his normal glasses on the plane when he'd flown somewhere, meaning that he had to wear his prescription sunglasses for the rest of the day.

Wearing them indoors normally does make you look a complete prat, but if you think you'd never wear them on stage, you've probably never played in a venue with a low ceiling and a 1KW par can just above eye level right in front of you... like that pic above.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Flanging_FredFlanging_Fred Frets: 2871
    I might start wearing sunglasses while gigging.

On Saturday there was an actual real life pretty blonde lady that kept looking at me, smiling and appearing to enjoy our performance.

it was utterly terrifying and I can’t be doing with that sort of nonsense. I’m going to hide next time and maybe put on a big floppy hat and fake moustache.
    5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • ESBlondeESBlonde Frets: 3532
    Did a few gigs as part of a blue bros band many years ago. Someone thought it would look cool if we all wore cheap matching sunglasses. I suppose Image was important, but they came off after about 3 songs along with the sweat inducing jacket. Couldn't see sweet FA and we had to work to a score for a lot of it.
  • StageStruckStageStruck Frets: 102
    I've done it once at an early evening summertime gig as I'd left the house my prescription sunglasses on. I'd forgotten my contact lenses and would have been gubbed for seeing much without the sun glasses on!
  • TJT1979TJT1979 Frets: 144
    Our band occasionally go for a certain look, depending on the event (Blues Brothers suits & shades for example). I've tried the sunglasses but I prefer to be able to see the side dots more clearly. Also I actually enjoy the eye contact with the crowd.