Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). Why is this chord sequence pleasing to me ? - Theory Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

Why is this chord sequence pleasing to me ?

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• Emp_FabEmp_Fab Frets: 23224
    So, what about virtual lessons Teech ?  @Viz
    Humans are destructive parasites that will destroy the celestial oasis of Earth.  The sooner Homo Sapiens are extinct, the better.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • vizviz Frets: 10211
    Emp_Fab said:
    So, what about virtual lessons Teech ?  @Viz
    Always up for that and am giving lessons to quite a few on here and elsewhere - PM me!
    Paul_C said: People never read the signature bit.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Something I find lacking in a lot of music theory books, is the actual practical element, i.e. how do I actually write an interesting song with different approaches.
    i.e. I have some great lyrics, how do I turn these into a great and interesting melody, then how do I harmonise and then make adjustments to my melody so I have access to more harmonically rich chords, then examples of changing the mood for the chorus. Rick Beato touches on it in some of his song writing videos, but it all assumes you already have a great melody or a great chord sequence in place.
    It's like knowing all the rules of Physics and then being told, now design an aeroplane. Where the hell do you start.

edited February 2021
    Something I find lacking in a lot of music theory books, is the actual practical element, i.e. how do I actually write an interesting song with different approaches.
    i.e. I have some great lyrics, how do I turn these into a great and interesting melody, then how do I harmonise and then make adjustments to my melody so I have access to more harmonically rich chords, then examples of changing the mood for the chorus. Rick Beato touches on it in some of his song writing videos, but it all assumes you already have a great melody or a great chord sequence in place.
    It's like knowing all the rules of Physics and then being told, now design an aeroplane. Where the hell do you start.

Ok. I think there are two main methods, and maybe a pincer movement to get the benefit of both:

Firstly, what mood do you want to create, and can you find a harmonic progression and tune that describes, or emulates, that mood? And/or:

What songs do you know or licks have you been enjoying playing, that sound really cool and would work?

It’s a bit of a Venn diagram, and somewhere in between those two approaches lies something amazing and magical, and maybe even totally unique and original to your voice. 

When I think of songwriting I always think of Creep. It’s so simple yet seems to have this originality and freshness, while at the same time describing its subject matter perfectly. It seems silly to heap too many praises on so obvious and simple a song, yet it has an artistry about it, and you’d have to say that, like it or loathe it, it’s probably a masterpiece. 

They found the overlap of the Venn diagram. Do what they did
  • I think my problem is I'm not a singer in any shape or form. 
    My approach to guitar playing my whole life has been, how do I improvise over this chord sequence and have learnt theory from that point of view and my fingers just end up doing the talking without any thought process.
    Now however I'm interesting in writing music/songs and am having to go at things from a blank piece of paper so to speak.
    One thing I was thinking of doing is to take my lyrics and just tap out the natural rhythm on a single note into say guitar pro.
    That will give me the timing. Then pick a mode and key and then move the notes up and down the stave until it sounds good and interesting.
    The harmonize using standard triads at first, then add extensions/sus chords/inversions, etc, adjusting the notes in the melody if need be. Throw in the odd borrowed Chord, secondary dominant, etc.
    I know it seem like a bit of a mathematical approach, but I would say I'm not a natural musician.  
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    edited February 2021
    Well, all artists use their innate abilities to speak with. If you’re structured and mathematical, your method will create something that’s doubtless very wonderful and unique to you, and that manages to say what you want it to say, and in the way you want to say it. After all, art is merely the “externalisation of emotion through creative and imaginative skill”, so who’s to say your method isn’t the right method for you, and for your audience too, if it helps you say what you want to say? Don’t forget to post what you come up with