Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). The Kemper thread - Digital & Modelling Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

The Kemper thread

What's Hot

Comments

• CabicularCabicular Frets: 2214
    I’ll say it again but for my money the MBritt lighting jack profiles are my favourite mid to high gain profiles
    pretty much all I use 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • sgosden said:

Is Tim Owens just a bloke that uploads profiles then?

as opposed to the likes of MBritt who sells them?

Any recommendations on where to head for a JJ or butterslax profile?

Borrowing Kemper off a mate, in august when he's finished a run of gigs. Gonna get as much as I can lined up and lock myself away with it :)

Search for the Have Amps Will Profile thread on the Kemper forum. He made them all available there. Failing that PM me your email and I’ll send some over.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • On a separate note, what are people's thoughts on this long awaited Spring Reverb?

Personally, I think it's awesome. Reminds me of my old Fender amp. Really nice sounding reverb with oodles of 'drip'!

The thing I didn't think I'd be impressed with on the Kemper was the FX...why? Because the internet. What's the one thing that's impressed more than anything (knowing amp sound would be awesome anyway)? The FX! Fucking internet.
    Read my guitar/gear blog at medium.com/redchairriffs

View my feedback at www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/comment/1201922
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • joeyowenjoeyowen Frets: 4008
    edited June 2018
    On a separate note, what are people's thoughts on this long awaited Spring Reverb?

Personally, I think it's awesome. Reminds me of my old Fender amp. Really nice sounding reverb with oodles of 'drip'!

The thing I didn't think I'd be impressed with on the Kemper was the FX...why? Because the internet. What's the one thing that's impressed more than anything (knowing amp sound would be awesome anyway)? The FX! Fucking internet.
    I had a play last night, I like it!

I found it very easy to use aswell, much less fussy than some of the effects on there.

Can't wait for the new reverb overhaul! 
  • joeyowen said:
    On a separate note, what are people's thoughts on this long awaited Spring Reverb?

I had a play last night, I like it!

I found it very easy to use aswell, much less fussy than some of the effects on there.

Can't wait for the new reverb overhaul! 
    How'd you mean, "less fussy"?

Me too, the new reverb stuff will be good, I reckon! If the delays are anything to go by.

• FreebirdFreebird Frets: 5819
    edited June 2018
    joeyowen said:
    Any timescale on the editor? it's about bloody time.  

Looking forward to the reverbs now too, I've always wanted two verbs to switch between and the lack of options has been a (very small) bugbear 

Kemper still holds place for best guitar purchase ever made (other than guitars themselves)
    There is an unofficial community project editor available which works via midi. It has some limitations, but it is certainly useful.
    If we are not ashamed to think it, we should not be ashamed to say it.
  • Kemper ramping up the reverbs by the looks...

Me too, the new reverb stuff will be good, I reckon! If the delays are anything to go by.
    I find that some effects take a lot of tweaking to sound normal.  For example, a pedal will have 3/5 dials, whereas the Kemper will have 8.  Chorus, phaser and wah all take some work for me.  Great sounds are achievable, but with some effort.

However, no matter how much I screwed about with the settings for the reverb, it sounded good.  There were a lot more sweet spots.  Providing the mix was set, all sounded good.  This made me very happy!
    Freebird said:
    joeyowen said:
    Any timescale on the editor? it's about bloody time.  

Looking forward to the reverbs now too, I've always wanted two verbs to switch between and the lack of options has been a (very small) bugbear 

Kemper still holds place for best guitar purchase ever made (other than guitars themselves)
    There is an unofficial community project editor available which works via midi. It has some limitations, but it is certainly useful.
    I found this, and went on a 1am scramble for more midi cables, but I appear to have used them all up damnit.

I'll try and pick some up soon

Have you tried it?  Worth a download?
  • joeyowen said:

I find that some effects take a lot of tweaking to sound normal.  For example, a pedal will have 3/5 dials, whereas the Kemper will have 8.  Chorus, phaser and wah all take some work for me.  Great sounds are achievable, but with some effort.

However, no matter how much I screwed about with the settings for the reverb, it sounded good.  There were a lot more sweet spots.  Providing the mix was set, all sounded good.  This made me very happy!
    I get you. This new lot of reverbs sound really good in the videos, hopefully we'll get to try them out soon! :-)

• Jonathanthomas83Jonathanthomas83 Frets: 3432
    edited June 2018
    New Q&A with CK. EDIT: Sorry, wrong video...here's the correct one...

edited June 2018
    joeyowen said:
    Freebird said:
    I found this, and went on a 1am scramble for more midi cables, but I appear to have used them all up damnit.

I'll try and pick some up soon

Have you tried it?  Worth a download?
    It works for me even with its limitations, but I'm the sort of person who went to the trouble of getting an FX8 so that I could edit the FX options on-screen! Maybe you can try it with some of your existing midi cables to see if it's works for you?

I use it in conjunction with the Rig Manager software, which will hopefully get updated at some point in the future, so that we can access all of the Kemper parameters on-screen via USB. 
  • Jonathanthomas83Jonathanthomas83 Frets: 3432
    edited June 2018
  • WazmeisterWazmeister Frets: 8918
    Awesome work there mate - really good insights 
  • Ah thanks @Wazmeister, that's really kind of you to say so. Really appreciate that! :-)

edited July 2018
    Thanks for taking the time to do a write-up, have a wiz 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Thank you for reading, @Freebird, incredibly kind of you to do so!

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • duotoneduotone Frets: 885
    Am a Helix owner (never tried a Kemper) but a regular viewer of this guys YouTube channel.  Enjoyed watching this one;

https://youtu.be/h4k4RJ5my18
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • BintyTwanger77BintyTwanger77 Frets: 2172
    edited July 2018
    New reverbs? @Jonathanthomas83 formerly known as one of the biggest delay fanatics on FB has not bought a delay pedal because the Kemper delays are “incredible”? Boutique amp cork-sniffer (a compliment btw) @Wazmeister has and loves his Kemper???

Gentlemen, you are killing me... in an “oh Christ, am I going to get a Kemper” way...
  • dangriffithsdangriffiths Frets: 535
    New reverbs? @Jonathanthomas83 formerly known as one of the biggest delay fanatics on FB has not bought a delay pedal because the Kemper delays are “incredible”? Boutique amp cork-sniffer (a compliment btw) @Wazmeister has and loves his Kemper???

Gentlemen, you are killing me... in an “oh Christ, am I going to get a Kemper” way...
    As I said best bit of gear I have bought so do it!
  • sgosdensgosden Frets: 1927
    Yeah I'll agree you're all bastards and despite being happy with helix I've got kemper GAS
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    edited July 2018
    New reverbs? @Jonathanthomas83 formerly known as one of the biggest delay fanatics on FB has not bought a delay pedal because the Kemper delays are “incredible”? Boutique amp cork-sniffer (a compliment btw) mi@Wazmeister has and loves his Kemper???

It does get better! I have an FX8 connected to the Kemper (using 4CM) that doubles the amount of FX available, and I also go digital into my computer using SPDIF. This gives me access to VST plugins such as Soundtoys, Eventide, Valhalla, etc..

To be honest, the options are mind boggling, especially if you introduce plugins like Movement from Output. I also have a reamp box, so I can send stuff out from the computer into the FX8 and/or the Kemper. This is great for reamping comped DI tracks, integrating Helix Native FX pre & post Kemper, or anything else that you can think of!

I'm primarily interested in recording, so I'm not sure how you would get it all working in a live setting, but I can easily get sounds that I have never heard before. This may be the future of guitars, as they can now keep up with the complexity of synths. Of course you can still get the old school tones as well, and real pedals are easily added too.

The Kemper is a great bit of kit, and it's the centrepiece of all my musical endeavours. I may have gone a bit OTT with my setup, but I don't think I could have achieved so much flexibility any other way.
  • New reverbs? @Jonathanthomas83 formerly known as one of the biggest delay fanatics on FB has not bought a delay pedal because the Kemper delays are “incredible”? Boutique amp cork-sniffer (a compliment btw) @Wazmeister has and loves his Kemper???

I do love the delays on the Kemper, genuinely. Will say that I've not found a good alternative to the El Cap (lack of trying really) but I don't miss it and all I use now is the glorious digital and modulated delays on the Kemper. That's not to say that you can't get a good tape emulation, you definitely can, I've just not bothered...so hopefully that tells you a bit about how much I rate the bog standard delay in the Kemper, I like it enough to not mess about trying to find anything else on the unit or in pedal form!

If you have any questions, @BintyTwanger77, im more than happy to talk Kemper with you :-) Like Dan, for me, it's the single best piece of kit I've ever bought!

I do love the delays on the Kemper, genuinely. Will say that I've not found a good alternative to the El Cap (lack of trying really) but I don't miss it and all I use now is the glorious digital and modulated delays on the Kemper. That's not to say that you can't get a good tape emulation, you definitely can, I've just not bothered...so hopefully that tells you a bit about how much I rate the bog standard delay in the Kemper, I like it enough to not mess about trying to find anything else on the unit or in pedal form!
    Have you seen this? El Cap is modelled on a Space Echo right?

https://www.audiothing.net/effects/outer-space/
  • Freebird said:
    Have you seen this? El Cap is modelled on a Space Echo right?

https://www.audiothing.net/effects/outer-space/
    I'm not sure mate, but I definitely need to check that plugin out, thank you very much! 

• FarleyUKFarleyUK Frets: 2318
    Arsehole. Now i’m Interested in trying the Kemper....!

I’ve gone from a Helix to an AX8 - which is awesome, but I find the lack of easy editing on the fly and a few other things (and the community, as you mention in your blog, are pretty ridiculous - as are a few of the Fractal business decisions) are taking the shine off it for me.

However.... I LOVE the feel and response of the amps and cabs in the AX8; much more realistic than the Helix IMO. Is the Kemper like that? And I also love the ability to tweak amp models as in-depth as you want to be very very handy too. Can the Kemper do that? Is there a list of modelled amps anywhere?
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    Also - am I right in saying that you don’t select amps and cabs, but download full ‘rigs’ of amp and cab combos?

Does the Kemper floor remote allow you to turn effects on and off?
    FarleyUK said:
    Also - am I right in saying that you don’t select amps and cabs, but download full ‘rigs’ of amp and cab combos?

Does the Kemper floor remote allow you to turn effects on and off?

Yep and yep 
    Cheers! Very interested in trying one to see if I prefer it to my AX8....