Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). Feline Guitars in "not Les Paul shaped" guitar shock - Made in the UK Discussions on The Fretboard

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

Feline Guitars in "not Les Paul shaped" guitar shock

What's Hot
FelineGuitarsFelineGuitars Frets: 10901
edited September 2017 in Made in the UK tFB Trader
Tim asked me to make a slightly updated version of his favourite guitar : a 1959 Fender Strat.
We did our preferred three piece neck construction with quarter-sawn maple for a strong stiff and stable neck.
2 way truss rod with adjustment at the headstock end.
So he wanted a flatter 12" radius fingerboard with Dunlop 6000 gauge fretwork
Locking tuners, an Earvana nut, and an all access neck joint round out the updated part of the equation - the rest is left classic

The alder body , apart from it's all access neck pocket is unaltered from the classic form and features simply the best quality bits that we like to use . 
So some Bare Knuckle '59 slab board pickups with CTS pots and CRL switch with parchment plastics
We did screen the control cavities with Nickel screening compound.
We also used a custom made strat bridge made by an engineer friend here in the UK with a cold rolled steel sustain block

I do make bolt on neck guitars (other than Blackmachine B6s) although we seem to be better known for LP types

Anyway here are some pics

Many guitars have a re-sale value. Some you'll never want to sell.
Stockist of: Earvana & Graphtech nuts, Faber Tonepros & Gotoh hardware, Fatcat bridges. Highwood Saddles.

Pickups from BKP, Oil City & Monty's pickups.

Expert guitar repairs and upgrades - fretwork our speciality! www.felineguitars.com.  Facebook too!

0reaction image LOL 47reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter

Comments

• That looks the absolute dog's b******s. 

And I have no doubt whatsoever that it plays and sounds just as well as it looks...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Nice
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • GassageGassage Frets: 30192
    Stunner!

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

• FelineGuitarsFelineGuitars Frets: 10901
    tFB Trader
    We were just waiting for a tremolo cover plate, which we have now, so we will finish it off so Tim can finally take it home.

Stockist of: Earvana & Graphtech nuts, Faber Tonepros & Gotoh hardware, Fatcat bridges. Highwood Saddles.

Expert guitar repairs and upgrades - fretwork our speciality! www.felineguitars.com.  Facebook too!

• DrBobDrBob Frets: 2969
    'Tim' ? Mills ?
  • Lovely stuff. 
    tFB Trader
    DrBob said:
    'Tim' ? Mills ?
    No- there are a few Tims about - but not for Mr BKP this time.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • MtBMtB Frets: 908
    Classy!
  • Modulus_AmpsModulus_Amps Frets: 2459
    tFB Trader
    wow, very nice!

• rlwrlw Frets: 4314
    Probably far better than the real thing too  =)
    Save a cow.  Eat a vegetarian.
  • That showed up on my Facebook feed, looks awesome 
    Nobody is guaranteed tomorrow.....

• OilCityPickupsOilCityPickups Frets: 7616
    tFB Trader
    My goodness Jonathan .... that's a whole pile of gorgeous. 
    Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
    Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog

• ThorpyFXThorpyFX Frets: 6038
    tFB Trader
    turns out you make an incredible strat too!
    Adrian Thorpe MBE | Owner of ThorpyFx Ltd | Email: thorpy@thorpyfx.com | Twitter: @ThorpyFx | Facebook: ThorpyFx Ltd | Website: www.thorpyfx.com
  • Sunburst/Tobaccoburst strats are pretty much top of my all-time hatelist...

.....but that looks incredible. Knocked it out the park again, Jonathan! 
  • That is absolutely gorgeous.
    One day I'm going to make a guitar out of butter to experience just how well it actually plays.
  • FezFez Frets: 472
    That's a beauty.
    Don't touch that dial.
  • That may be the best looking strat I've ever seen Jonathan  O_O
    Just awesome.
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 27656
    Looks superb!
  • Wow! Not a one trick pony then! That's gorgeous! 

You should try an acoustic next ;) 

My Trading Feedback    |    You Bring The Band

Just because you're paranoid, don't mean they're not after you
  • GoldenEraGuitarsGoldenEraGuitars Frets: 8207
    tFB Trader
    Beautiful mate, absolutely beautiful 
  • Fantastic looking instrument. Well done.
  • vincechu89vincechu89 Frets: 91
    edited January 2018
    This is absolutely stunning! I never knew you did s type guitars, I'll hit you up when I'm ready for a custom built stratty. If you put this on the website as a standard model, I'm sure it'll sell like hot cakes.
    tFB Trader
    We have a number of strat types in the works - maybe 7 or 8 as it happens...I'll post up some pics over the weekend

tFB Trader

Here is one that you may have seen at an earlier stage 
    The body was one we got off Chris (@SquireJapan) and it was already metallic yellow 
    We made a flamed maple neck with huge Dunlop 6000 frets on a 9.5" radius rosewood board and had a thoink about a good look for it.

So I thought it had the makings of a modern sportscar look and what was needed was some black or gun metal parts and maybe some carbon fibre.
    So we took some Gotoh parts in "cosmo black" and a black @Graingerguitars ferrule block
    We got a carbon weave effect plate  and loaded a set of Bare Knuckle Cobra hot strat type pickups.
    An Earvana nut aids tuning stability.
    It's a very bold sounding strat - classic with a modern twist to it

0reaction image LOL 4reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • We have a number of strat types in the works - maybe 7 or 8 as it happens...I'll post up some pics over the weekend
    @FelineGuitars  any prospect of you making a Gary Moore/Cruz strat affair? Rosewood board, jumbo frets, 3way switch.
    tFB Trader
    We have a number of strat types in the works - maybe 7 or 8 as it happens...I'll post up some pics over the weekend
    @FelineGuitars  any prospect of you making a Gary Moore/Cruz strat affair? Rosewood board, jumbo frets, 3way switch.
    Wow - at £12k thats a special one....did you want something like that? You can ask me :)

tFB Trader
    We have a few strat builds going on - most will be for sale (updating after a prompt from @Brize)

Inspired by the strat plus of a local guitar teacher/player who is a bit popular

Same again but getting a bit Gilmour-ish with the DG20 circuit and some SAV pickups

Both have all access necks, sperzel tuners. Gotoh 510 series trems with steel blocks and a narrower spacing

We have another strat with a lean back headstock, like we have done on a few of the recent Tabby Specials

and a reverse headstock one which might be a bit "Hendrixy"

again with all access necks

• BrizeBrize Frets: 5511
    We have a few strat builds going on - most will be for sale (updating after a prompt from @Brize)
    Beautiful work as always, Jon.
  • antifashantifash Frets: 603
    YES. 
    tFB Trader
    We'll do the Gilmour-ish one candy apple red to amuse @Gassage ;