Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). Fretboard Jam - 2017 Leicester - 2nd September - Running Order V4 Now up!! - Events Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

Fretboard Jam - 2017 Leicester - 2nd September - Running Order V4 Now up!!

What's Hot

Comments

• digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 25239
    bigjon said:
    Alnico said:
    I've got a list but I'm just stepping out of the door now.
    I'll post the list later.
    I'm sure it's around 8 or 9 different 'Home Amps' that we've got in the shootout so far, most are modelling type I think.
    I'm planning on bringing my ZT lunchbox. I usually run it through a 1x10 Blackstar cab, I'd like to try it through a larger cab. Not a home amp but a gigging amp in a home-amp-sized package, any Fender Twin owners out there with bad backs are welcome to give it a try :-D
    Excellent stuff - I'm curious as to how my pedalboard would sound through a ZT, if you don't mind me trying it. I borrowed a Lunchbox a long time ago, but didn't really give it a proper go.
    <space for hire>
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • LegionreturnsLegionreturns Frets: 7962
    Alnico said:
    @Alnico I've got some spare time if you want me to go through the thread and compilee a list? 
    I'll be brutally honest and say if you do have the time that would be an immense help right now, my head is about to cave in right now today and it will be days before I can either find the list I kept or do that by going back through it all.

If you can and you don't mind that would be an immense help.

Thank you in advance.
    No problem bud. 

I've trawled through this thread, and I think I've got everyone. If I've missed you, or you want to add anything else to the home / modelling amp shootout, please shout and I'll add you on. @Alnico I've got the original list saved for future edits, happy to keep dealing with this if it takes something off your plate but can also email it to you if required. Shoot me a pm when you get time, No stress. 

The Big tFB Amp Shootout
    Name Amp
    @Alnico Marshall Code 25
    @darthed1981 (Some of)Katana 50 / Blackstar Core10/20 / Fly 3
    @Legionreturns Katana 100 + GAFC
    @TADodger VOX AC30
    @Vinylfan THR10 / Vox VT40+
    @Nikko Katana 50 & Zoom G3XN

Currently on reserve list:
    @Spark240 Kemper Profiler, Gallien Krueger 250ML, Vox Valvetronix 120, Roland AC60, Marshall Valvestat combo

Other observations from trawling through this thread: 

You lot talk shite... LOTS of shite! 
    I got relegated from number 7 to number 10 on the list and now I'm sulking. 

I thought I'd remind everyone to bring guitar stands for each guitar one more time, as that was like 18 pages back...

@Alnico / @Bridgehouse is it worth doing a "joining instructions" type post on the logistics thread about that sort of stuff? 

My Trading Feedback    |    You Bring The Band

Just because you're paranoid, don't mean they're not after you
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • AlnicoAlnico Frets: 4610
    @Legionreturns

Thanks for doing that, although the numbers mean absolutely nothing at all, you realise that don't you?
    That was just me making sure I had the right amount of people and no more than 30.
    :)

Yes, that's a good idea about the instructions and when my head is better after today I'll do that in some way. I'll talk to @Bridgehouse about it first.

Guitar stands are a must if people have them, that's a good point well reminded.
    I think I'm bringing 3 so far, maybe 4 if I can find my old one.

Thanks again for your effort doing that man.
    edited July 2017
    @KickTheHabit ........
    The reserve list is Temporarily here being updated as we go or on paper in front of me but you're on it now and there's 4  members in front of you as it stands.
    There's also still around 6 weeks until the event so there's time for life to change people's plans.
    When things change I let all the people on the reserve list know that it's moved up.

@hywelg
     @stevie_the_spy
     @HPhillipsmusic
     @TimmyO
     @KickTheHabit

Thanks for your interest !

EDIT: Just seen that you have a +1 with your Dad.
    We need to keep the numbers to what we said we would keep them to because of the arrangement with the studio about numbers but let's see if you do get a place and how things look closer to the time. We're not unreasonable and we all know how important Dads are ;)
    Leave that bit with me, ok?
    edited July 2017
    The numbers mean EVERYTHING!

I wouldn't want to be one of those losers in the twenties  

No worries, anything else I can do let me know. School broke up today. I've got like 8 days of freelance work between now and the jam, so lots of free time. 

Another observation... I just did my banking / PayPal check & @Bridgehouse blatantly failed to give me any recognition for "best PayPal payment message" when I paid him for my ticket... 

("Bread for the Jam")

• BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24559
    The numbers mean EVERYTHING!

I wouldn't want to be one of those losers in the twenties  

No worries, anything else I can do let me know. School broke up today. I've got like 8 days of freelance work between now and the jam, so lots of free time. 

Another observation... I just did my banking / PayPal check & @Bridgehouse blatantly failed to give me any recognition for "best PayPal payment message" when I paid him for my ticket... 

("Bread for the Jam")
    I chose to ignore it mate ;)
    edited July 2017
    For those people doing vocals, especially if you're not confident in your singing ability (like me!) I have a tc voicelive play unit which I usually go through before the pa when I sing. It hides a multitude of shortcomings, will add harmonies, reverb, delay and several cool effects as well as doing pitch correction (either subtly or Cher style hard tune)... It's a fairly small box and I have the tc mic with it that turns on or off certain effects depending on how you set it, and is also a vocal looper if we need anything like that. 

Happy for me to bring that for people to use of they desire? 

For those people doing vocals, especially if you're not confident in your singing ability (like me!) I have a tc voicelive play unit which I usually go through before the pa when I sing. It hides a multitude of shortcomings, will add harmonies, reverb, delay and several cool effects as well as doing pitch correction (either subtly or Cher style hard tune)... It's a fairly small box and I have the tc mic with it that turns on or off certain effects depending on how you set it, and is also a vocal looper if we need anything like that. 

Happy for me to bring that for people to use of they desire? 
    I'll say yes now to that.

I don't think any of us are going to worry Bruce Dickinson anytime soon, nice one.
  • I am interested in singing duties for 1 or 2 tunes, I am no singer but I do enjoy it. I would actually enjoy that more than anything else.
    @bigjon  can I add another request for your workshops if it's not too late? I'd like to look at percussive play / left hand muting. An example of what I mean would be the rhythm part of "Mardy Bum" by Arctic Monkeys. 

Does that make sense?

• bigjonbigjon Frets: 680
    edited July 2017
    @bigjon  can I add another request for your workshops if it's not too late? I'd like to look at percussive play / left hand muting. An example of what I mean would be the rhythm part of "Mardy Bum" by Arctic Monkeys. 

Does that make sense?
    That's fine, still at the stage of gathering expressions of interest in the workshops. The list so far is

Legionreturns - soloing over chord progressions + breaking out of habitual shapes & licks + percussive play / left-hand muting à la Mardy Bum.
    TADodger - any /all
    Nikko - any / all
    Vinylfan - strumming patterns, string-bending, power-chord progressions.
    ennspek - any / all
    aord43 - any / all
    not_the_dj - bends with added vibrato
    darthed1981 - observer
    WezV - observer
    slacker - how to solo without a slide
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 26143
    I'm planning on sitting quietly at the back, watching and learning!
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
  • Flink_PoydFlink_Poyd Frets: 2490
    Count me in for the workshop on just about anything 
    Nobody is guaranteed tomorrow.....

See, I'd love to contribute and run a workshop, but I don't think I know enough of anything that other people might want to know...
    <space for hire>
    See, I'd love to contribute and run a workshop, but I don't think I know enough of anything that other people might want to know...
    Everything I know, @bigjon knows more of in every way, so unless he specifically wants any practical help with his workshops, I'll leave that side of it to him.
    I think people have had plenty of time to suggest content for the workshops, so I'll make a proposal and people can comment yay or nay.

I'd like to take three very basic chord progressions in simple keys, and use those chord progressions as the basis for workshopping 4 topics:
    1) Playing chords on fewer strings, e.g. power chords
    2) Strumming and muting patterns for rhythm guitar
    3) Adapting licks in solos to follow the underlying chord
    4) String-bending

I think that covers the broad range of the topics that have been requested. More specific queries, e.g. adding vibrato to bends, I'll aim to cover in the session where the person with the query (not_the_dj in this case) is present.

I'd like to repeat this plan for each workshop we do, but aim it at progressively more experienced players: so if we do two workshops the first could be for beginners and the second could be for beginners-plus to intermediate. Obviously anyone is welcome to observe any of the workshops.

The approach I'd like to take is for a participant to play something and then to suggest the next step or two for that topic. It would therefore help if each participant were prepared to play something for at least one of the topics. Otherwise of course they would be welcome to attend the workshop as an observer rather than a participant.

Does that sound OK to people as a general approach?
    The list of people who have expressed interest in the workshops so far is - 

Legionreturns - soloing over chord progressions + breaking out of habitual shapes & licks + percussive play / left-hand muting à la Mardy Bum.
    TADodger - any /all
    Nikko - any / all
    Vinylfan - strumming patterns, string-bending, power-chord progressions.
    ennspek - any / all
    aord43 - any / all
    not_the_dj - bends with added vibrato
    darthed1981 - observer
    WezV - observer
    slacker - how to solo without a slide
    TTony - observer
    Flink_Poyd - any /all

@digitalscream I'll pm you about joining me as a contributor for any or all of the topics - it would be great to have your input to the sessions.
    All sounds great @bigjon ;

Thanks for all your efforts. I'll throw something together. I'll have my looper on my board of that should be any use in these. That's how I tend to practice improvising. 

• VinylfanVinylfan Frets: 33
    bigjon said:
    I think people have had plenty of time to suggest content for the workshops, so I'll make a proposal and people can comment yay or nay.

I'd like to take three very basic chord progressions in simple keys, and use those chord progressions as the basis for workshopping 4 topics:
    3) Adapting licks in solos to follow the underlying chord
    4) String-bending

I think that covers the broad range of the topics that have been requested. More specific queries, e.g. adding vibrato to bends, I'll aim to cover in the session where the person with the query (not_the_dj in this case) is present.

I'd like to repeat this plan for each workshop we do, but aim it at progressively more experienced players: so if we do two workshops the first could be for beginners and the second could be for beginners-plus to intermediate. Obviously anyone is welcome to observe any of the workshops.

The approach I'd like to take is for a participant to play something and then to suggest the next step or two for that topic. It would therefore help if each participant were prepared to play something for at least one of the topics. Otherwise of course they would be welcome to attend the workshop as an observer rather than a participant.

Does that sound OK to people as a general approach?
    That sounds like a great idea.  Forgot to add that palm muting would be a good topic so nice to see that someone else has suggested it.
  • spark240spark240 Frets: 2016
    edited July 2017
    In anticipation of a place becoming available....have I missed what songs we are are going try and do?

Dont mind doing electric, also have tons of acoustic Choons I could jam ...

Mac Mini M1
    Presonus Studio One V5
     https://www.studiowear.co.uk/ -
     https://twitter.com/spark240
     Facebook - m.me/studiowear.co.uk
    Reddit r/newmusicreview 
    spark240 said:
    In anticipation of a place becoming available....have I missed what songs we are are going try and do?

You've got a place !
     @monofin had to pull out and you're in his place.

Check the list.
    I tagged you in the post on the Logistics thread as well.

• TADodgerTADodger Frets: 211
    @bigjon - your idea seems good to me. Happy to have a go with the aim to see where I need to focus my time to improve. @legionreturns list of workshop topics fits quite well for me also.
  • NikkoNikko Frets: 1803
    Sounds good to me @bigjon ;
    **Signature space available for a reasonable fee. Enquire within**
    Pleased to announce that @digitalscream has agreed to come on board as a co-contributor for the workshops - if we run with the four topics I've proposed he'll focus on contributions to topics (1) and (2) - 
  • darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 10322
    bigjon said:
    Big sign up for me on this one.
    We have to be so very careful, what we believe in...
    Yep - can't guarantee that I'll have anything useful to say, but at the very least I'll be able to give very wrong advice that @bigjon is able to correct. Sort of a reverse-muse, if you will.
    <space for hire>
    bigjon said:
    @darthed1981 does that mean you would like to change your entry on the workshop list from being an observer to being a participant? :-)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 10322
    bigjon said:
    bigjon said:
    @darthed1981 does that mean you would like to change your entry on the workshop list from being an observer to being a participant? :-)
    Yeah why not I was going to sit at the back with the cool kids, slouch and pass notes but I'll get more involved ☺
    We have to be so very careful, what we believe in...
  • spark240spark240 Frets: 2016
    Alnico said:
    spark240 said:

You've got a place !

Check the list.

Woah !....Cool...err...so what equipment of mine if any, would you like me to bring?

Kemper Profiler, Gallien Krueger 250ML, Vox Valvetronix 120, Roland AC60, Marshall Valvestat combo, Boss RC300 looper.

And it there a lost of guitars people are bringing to have a strum on?...be good to bring something that might not be there already in case some folks want to try them out?

Thanks again!

Mac Mini M1
    Presonus Studio One V5
     https://www.studiowear.co.uk/ -
     https://twitter.com/spark240
     Facebook - m.me/studiowear.co.uk
    Reddit r/newmusicreview 
    spark240 said:
    Alnico said:
    spark240 said:

You've got a place !

Check the list.

Woah !....Cool...err...so what equipment of mine if any, would you like me to bring?

Kemper Profiler, Gallien Krueger 250ML, Vox Valvetronix 120, Roland AC60, Marshall Valvestat combo, Boss RC300 looper.

And it there a lost of guitars people are bringing to have a strum on?...be good to bring something that might not be there already in case some folks want to try them out?

Thanks again!

I'd say the Kemper and the RC300 definitely.

Bring a couple of your favourite guitars and that's a more than worthy addition to a massive line up anyway.
    I'm sure there'll be loads of Strats and Les Pauls so if you have something a bit different then go for that.
    Electro Acoustic?
    We could use that as a backing for loads of songs.
    Acoustic really helps fill songs out.

What guitars do you have that you could bring?