Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). Guitar String Madness! - Guitar Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

Guitar String Madness!

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• I use the same gotoh tuners on my jazzbastard.

I'd leave more than 2 inches of string. Generally, there are limits to how many winds you should have, but you have a locking nut and thin e strings slip very easily!

I use mine at full, untrimmed length. It gives me 3-4 inches of spare. Never heard of winding around the wrong way first - surely tightening it will undo this hard work and force it back the right way? Anyway, I just put it down into the post and wind like there is no tomorrow until it's at pitch, then stretch it in. Then pop the locking nut on and hey presto...

I would say it's slipping at the tuner. Try it with a few more turns of string on it, and if it still happens you've confirmed that it's a saddle issue (they do wear down over time).

Make sure, when winding the string on, it all goes on tight. Hold it with your thumb as if your thumb is a string tree!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Also, lots of bassists boil strings. Don't try it on guitar ones, when a 9 rusts, it becomes a 6 by the time you've washed it off! :D

Bass strings are much more expensive. Washing them in boiling water removes a lot of solutes from our hands and the environment, as well as removing patches of rust, so it doesn't quite get back to brand new but it is a very good alternative. My bass strings last at least a year if I play everyday, longer because a normally don't!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 69426
    edited August 2013
    I'd leave more than 2 inches of string. Generally, there are limits to how many winds you should have, but you have a locking nut and thin e strings slip very easily!

I use mine at full, untrimmed length. It gives me 3-4 inches of spare. Never heard of winding around the wrong way first - surely tightening it will undo this hard work and force it back the right way?
    No, because it crosses the slot.

It doesn't really matter on a locking nut guitar, but on one without it's much better than winding on several inches because it avoids the problem of slippage. With the half back turn you can put only about one turn on the post and it won't slip. It's also much quicker :).

The only string I wind anything like 3-4 inches on is the G, and only because on a Fender-type headstock with one string tree you need the extra break angle at the nut.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

• Van_HaydenVan_Hayden Frets: 434
    I'd check the saddles are bolted down firm - worth a look, if they aren't they'll slip towards the neck causing your sting to go flat.
  • Thanks icbm, I get you now! I'll do that next time I restring, I reckon that'll speed it up a lot :p

Still have not put string trees on the jazzbastard, I'm trying to get out of the habit of bending everything so when I play that, I can't!

One day, I'll sort it... Probably.
  • BellycasterBellycaster Frets: 5750
    @Van_Hayden

I did lock the saddle ok

I adjusted the bridge height slightly but def tightened those sockets up too.

That said I wasn't impressed that they only have a 1.5 mm hex socket, seems a bit flimsy for a quality trem system like Gotoh

3mm socket adjusts the height' 1.5 locks the post
    And they said that in our time, all that's good will fall from grace, even Saints would turn their face, in our time.
    They don't need more than a 1.5mm - you don't need to crank them, they're only there to stop the posts creeping downwards so they only have to be slightly tighter than just touching the bottom of the sockets.

Fender Jazzmaster/Jaguar/Mustang bridges use two 1/16" (1.6mm) Allens for the whole bridge height adjustment, and they seem adequate.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

@ThePrettyDamned

Shouldn't be a saddle wear issue, it's only a 9 month old guitar.

And they said that in our time, all that's good will fall from grace, even Saints would turn their face, in our time.
  • Van_HaydenVan_Hayden Frets: 434
    Are you talking about the saddle string lock or the saddle intonation screw?

@Van_Hayden

I see what your saying now. Yes, I'll give it a check, it's always good to check everything.

Ta!

ICBM said:
    They don't need more than a 1.5mm - you don't need to crank them, they're only there to stop the posts creeping downwards so they only have to be slightly tighter than just touching the bottom of the sockets.

Fender Jazzmaster/Jaguar/Mustang bridges use two 1/16" (1.6mm) Allens for the whole bridge height adjustment, and they seem adequate.

@ICBM

Ahh, I see. That lack of experience comes from me only owning very few guitars. The Wolfgang , for all I know doesn't "Lock", its just 2 flat head screwdriver heads to adjust height (i've never adjusted it). Can't remember on the old Kramer and then there is the new one I'm talking about here which has fixtures and fitting I'd not experienced before.

Ta!

edited August 2013
    Think yourself lucky you're not so experienced you didn't think to ask ;). The first time I had to adjust one of these Floyds with the locking screws, I didn't know they were there because early Floyds which I was familiar with were like your Wolfgang. So it puzzled me that I couldn't adjust the posts downward even though there was still thread showing above the body - they seemed stuck, I thought they were bottoming out in the inserts and I was going to have to do a bit of engineering to set the guitar up properly. Took the whole bridge off, took one of the posts out and was surprised - and relieved! - to see the little lock screw :)... and then had to put it all back together. So that set-up took a little longer than it should have :D.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter

@ICBM

Those are experiences you definitely learn from, lol.

As for the Wolfgang, are you saying it does have locks as the manual just states to turn the Pivot Bolts and doesn't mention unlocking anything.

Ta!