Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). Chris Cornell RIP - Tributes Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

Chris Cornell RIP

What's Hot
1235»

Comments

• Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 20197
    FRockStar said:
    Philly_Q said:
    FRockStar said:
    His last tweet  before the gig hashtagged #nomorebullshit. Turns out this is a song  by camper van beethoven. The lyrics are: 

No more bullshit, no more mtv, no more rock starts, no more bullshit
    Elvis presley died and no-one knows why

Omg :o 
    Wow. A suicide note of sorts. Or a cry for help. But no one spotted it.. 
    The tweet also says:
    "#Detroit finally back to Rock City! "
    The end of Detroit Rock City by Kiss goes:
    " Twelve o'clock, I gotta rock
    There's a truck ahead, lights starin' at my eyes
    Oh my God, no time to turn
    I got to laugh 'cause I know I'm gonna die
    Why"

Maybe he'd been planning it for a while & decided on the place to do it? 
    Or, like most of us, he associated the words "Detroit" and "Rock City" and never knew - or never gave much thought to - the song's lyrics.  Please don't read too much into this. 
    Yes. Quite possibly. In any case, it's not important. Just a sad loss of life. And very sad that he leaves three children who will be tainted by this for ever. 
    Agreed.  Amen to to that.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • TeetonetalTeetonetal Frets: 7708
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • jonevejoneve Frets: 1416
    One of my heroes, along with Layne Staley :( and Andrew Wood (Mother Love Bone) :(

I was out all day yesterday in London so didn't really have time to think about it too much or reflect...but was absolutely devo'd. Finally listening to Badmotorfinger really fucking loud in the office. 

Absolutely incredible voice and another of the greats gone. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24339
    I've kept out of the thread as I'm not familiar with the guy's music - though obviously it's very sad that he thought this was the only way.

I know two people who's mothers killed themselves when they were young - it had a devastating effect on both of them....
  • underdogunderdog Frets: 8334
    Confirmed as suicide, being rich and famous doesn't make you immune to mental health problems, so sad.

On a positive note, his solo acoustic version of Billie Jean is pretty much perfection.
  • joeyowenjoeyowen Frets: 4008
    underdog said:
    Confirmed as suicide, being rich and famous doesn't make you immune to mental health problems, so sad.

I was talking about this last night with my other half.

On the surface, he had his Wife, kids, 1000s of fans, enough money.  From the outside looking in he had everything.  It is so sad that whatever demons he had, he couldn't beat. 
    edited May 2017
    On a purely selfish note, I never got round to seeing them live, and will now never get the chance  

Just sad to think he couldn't turn to anyone for help. 

RIP Chris. 
  • underdogunderdog Frets: 8334
    joneve said:
    On a purely selfish note, I never got round to seeing them live, and will now never get the chance  

RIP Chris. 

Yeah, I didn't get to see him live either, seeing Eddie Vedder doing a solo gigg in a few weeks is going to be interesting. Eddie took Cobain's death badly and they didn't even get along, PJ and Chris were friends so could be a very dark show.
    underdog said:
    joneve said:

RIP Chris. 

Yeah, I didn't get to see him live either, seeing Eddie Vedder doing a solo gigg in a few weeks is going to be interesting. Eddie took Cobain's death badly and they didn't even get along, PJ and Chris were friends so could be a very dark show.
    Yep :( 
  • Musicman20Musicman20 Frets: 2100
    Kebabkid said:
    antifash said:
    Sad news.

Cobain, Staley, Weiland and now Cornell :(

What does it mean when your idols kill themselves?
    That whatever your status in life, even iconic, we're all human, which makes us vulnerable and susceptible to the same things.

Whilst performers, artists etc use their platform as an outlet, it can also be to mask what's really going in their lives.

Mental health is a massive issue and we've just set up an awareness and support system at my work as we've had 4 people take their lives in the last 12 years and God knows how many other people are suffering with issues. See and ask what's in your own work place and is it enough?

As has been said here, if you're suffering or you think someone is acting out of character or seems anxious etc, reach out, particularly men who've think it's a taboo issue. Even as strangers to each other here, help has been extended to those that have suffered or suffer and take the gear talk away and you'll see that this forum has been one mighty fine place for such things and causes.

Anyone suffering, try to be kind to yourself and reach out, talk to someone and seek professional help.

Have a good day everyone

I accidentally hit the 'lol' button after 'wisdom' sorry. Great post....it's only now that it seems we are accepting the fact that mental health needs to be dealt with. I've had my fair share of anxiety and luckily come through it...but the world still needs a nudge to help people and we ALL need less stress. There is SO much pressure now.  
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • AlterlifesonAlterlifeson Frets: 445
    From the latest it looks like his death may have been caused by an overdose of anxiety medication, known for giving suicidal thoughts. So sad. Don't know of this makes it better or worse knowing he may not have meant to do it.
  • day to myself today so have had the turntable on most of the day and spun

Ultramega OK
    Louder than Love
    Badmotorfinger
    Superunknown
    Temple of the Dog

what a great day I have had, a little sad at times but all great memories aged 17-22 came flooding back.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • DeijavooDeijavoo Frets: 3275
    I hadn't been on here since before he died. Was kinda dreading this thread for some reason. 

Was properly wounded at this news on Thursday morning.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    I'm 10 minutes in.  It's a nice, but hard watch
  • tone1tone1 Frets: 4930
    joeyowen said:
    I'm 10 minutes in.  It's a nice, but hard watch
    This is the reality of a Celebrity death....He was someone's Husband, Father, Son, Bother and in Pete's case, a good friend...Pete looks understandably shattered by the news..R.I.P
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 24852
    I've been listening to this today. Cornell and his daughter singing Bob Marley. It was already brilliant but in light of the last couple of days it's heartbreaking.

The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • Modulus_AmpsModulus_Amps Frets: 2459
    tFB Trader
    Loved his singing and he song writing, glad he has a massive back catalogue to remind us of him

seems his song writing sadly became real life though.... in a way.

There was a man who had a face, that looked a lot like me.
    I saw him in the mirror and, I fought him in the street;
    Then when he turned away, I shot him in the head.
    Then I came to realize, I had killed myself.
    Exploder - Audioslave

aww his brother wrote this.  I'm not gonna lie, the pictures brought a tear to my eye.  I have a picture so similar of my first son holding my second.

"Friends,

"It's been difficult to put words together. My heart is broken.

"Chris was always just my brother. We just 'were.' No pretense. No dog and pony show. We didn't have to get deep all the time. Sometimes we only needed to just be in the same room and just be present. That was enough.

"It wasn't until this week, it really hit me how he belonged to the world. That he is an icon and a legend. That being said, I am so sorry to YOU for your loss.

"Artists, actors, musicians. We rely on these people to lift us up. To inspire us and distract us in times of trouble. Chris protected us when we needed him to. His one of a kind-ness surrounded us like a suit of armor. He was a warrior and a wizard. A howling wolf and a trusted mentor.

"My brother gave freely of his gifts and it was never a struggle. He kept himself from the saturation of celebrity in such a humble way. The power and anger and passion of my brother's music was always genuine, original and legitimate.

"He was the powerful, sensitive, fragile, angry, mystical creature that will exist forever in his body of work. And he did it for ALL of us. Giving it away. Leaving all on the stage or in the recordings that will keep him immortal.

"I will never wrap my head around his passing. I've been in shock since I heard the news. I can't and won't let him go.

"Please know, with all the humility I can muster from the depths of a pulverized heart, I THANK EACH OF YOU for your kindness and condolences. THANK YOU for finding me through YOUR tears.

"Hold your brothers close. Much Love! -PC

"The first time and the last time we were together."

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter