Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). Jeff Beck - Tributes Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

Jeff Beck

What's Hot

Comments

• artiebearartiebear Frets: 810
    edited January 2023
    I haven't been on the forum for a long time, but can't think of anywhere more appropriate to express my feelings of loss ( even grief ? ) at the loss of THE electric guitar player. After the close losses of the last few months, that I dealt with almost stoically, I was amazed at myself for shedding more than one tear at this news. Jeff epitomised the idea of a guitar player. I have just enjoyed a three hour JB wake, from Blow by Blow, through Guitar Shop, to Emotion and and Commotion. All brilliant. Probs won't post here much in future if at all but , thanks JB.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 24852
    I've never been a fan but there's no question the guy was one of the all-time greats of the instrument. 

RIP
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • robertyroberty Frets: 10231
    Even if you don't listen to his music you've probably used a Seymour Duncan JB

https://youtu.be/hgBhfsJhk-8
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • PhiltrePhiltre Frets: 4110
    No way, gods don't die.

Blow by Blow, the biggest influence on my playing.

Thanks Jeff.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • I think of Jeff as one of the holy trinity. Possibly the best of all of them. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24339
    edited January 2023
    This is a big one. Really became aware of him when he played Cause We Ended as Lovers on the Secret Policeman’s Ball around 1981. A sublime piece of guitar playing. 

There are few players have who followed their own path with quite the single-mindedness that he did. No one else really sounds like Jeff Beck. 

I went to Eric Clapton’s New Year Party at Woking Leisure Centre this year. I couldn’t help thinking (though he looked, played and sang really well) that one day I’ll wake up to the news he’s no longer with us. Not a day I look forward to…

This generation of players need to be treasured, while they still can.

RIP Jeff - you were one of the very, very best. And thank you…
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • RandallFlaggRandallFlagg Frets: 13679
    edited January 2023
    I wasn't a massive fan, but a keen admirer. However, his rendition of 'A Day In The Life' for the George Martin album is stunning, one of my favourite guitar instrumentals, superb tone and delicate emotional playing at all the right places.

I don't like it when people we grew up listening to start leaving us, reminds me that the clock never stops ticking and one day, one hour and one minute has my name on it...

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • DrJazzTapDrJazzTap Frets: 2008
    edited January 2023
    Oh FFS that's terrible news.  He was always on my bucket list of people to see live. RIP to an icon.

To me he was like Holdsworth, if you know how great he was you knew again often copied but nobody could really sound like him. 
    I would love to change my username, but I fully understand the T&C's (it was an old band nickname). So please feel free to call me Dave.
  • BoromedicBoromedic Frets: 4327
    RIP Jeff, a true genius and legend, will be sorely missed, the guitarists guitarist.

My head said brake, but my heart cried never.

• RIP. I had the Beck , Bogart and Appice album on cassette growing up and wore it out trying to steal those licks. Amazing player. He always seemed to be reaching for something new through his whole life/career. What a dude. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • relic245relic245 Frets: 822
    I remember sitting round a campfire about 19 years old with a few friends and listening to  BBA.

It was like I was hearing music for the first time.

Rip Jeff.
  • Oddly enough his induction into the Rock'n'Roll hall of fame came up in my YouTube feed last night with him playing with Jimmy Page. What a loss, but boy what and inspiration. Last time I saw him was with Eric Clapton at the O2. Sucj a Rock God with a stage presence that would put people half his age to shame.
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 12794
    tFB Trader
    Only just heard the news and totally gutted - I first got into Beck around the time of There and Back then quickly found out about Wired and Blow by Blow, both of which have been mighty influential to many players - I've seen him live 4 maybe 5 times - Guitar Workshop is a total master piece - I know what will be on my play list today - I know it will come to us all one day but 78 is no age these days - His work will last and influence many guitar players for many more years - RIP Jeff
  • TeetonetalTeetonetal Frets: 7708
    Probably not most peoples first choice, but I first heard JB in my teens when he played on Blaze of Glory for Jon Bon Jovi. Really an exqusit solo and one of the first where I heard whammy tricks and slide together.

It was years before I found out just how big a name he was and what his contribution to music was.

Great player.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • stonevibestonevibe Frets: 6677
    The man was a musical genius.

RIP Jeff Beck

https://youtu.be/howz7gVecjE

You can now read my guitar ramblings here http://www.gearnews.com and here https://guitarbomb.com 

• JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6284
    RIP Jeff Beck, truly unique and a master.
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
  • I found out last night that this legendary player has died.

His touch, tone and his maverick rock god style are unmistakable and there will never be another. I'm gutted and wiping away the tears.

He was so familiar and modest, like a mate. No matter how many times over the last 40 years I have tried to work out his tracks, esp GPPH, there is always some element of mystery. What a guy. What a loss. At least he can have a great jam with Jimi and SRV, etc, etc. 

Love you, Jeff! Xx
  • KebabkidKebabkid Frets: 3178
    The great and sadly, late Mike Caswell showcasing Jeff Beck's style

tFB Trader
    Kebabkid said:
    The great and sadly, late Mike Caswell showcasing Jeff Beck's style

It is alright showing how to play Two Rivers but those notes are not on my guitar - Not sure if the guitar is faulty or me (I suspect the latter) 
  • maharg101maharg101 Frets: 568
    I read the news today, oh boy...

Jeff Beck was the only guitarist whose playing always raised the hairs on the back of my neck - every time I heard him, from his earliest Yardbirds work onwards.

RIP Jeff
    This one goes to eleven

Trading feedback here
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 11742
    Even though I started the thread last night I’m still in shock over this. Of all of his era of Brit guitar players, Clapton, Page, Hank, etc etc I always thought Jeff would outlast them all. He always seemed younger, fitter, more tuned into modern life, his music never got stuck in a rut. Then I see he’s gone and I was gobsmacked. I even woke my wife up to tell her the news (she wasn’t impressed).
    I’ve seen him play live several times, but I wish it had been more. He was a gobsmacking player: nobody had his phrasing, technique, style and pure emotion in their playing, all instantly recognisable. His song writing was excellent too. A true legend and a complete one off. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 7reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • mudslide73mudslide73 Frets: 2921
    I only saw him twice but the first time was from row 6 or something with Vinnie, Tal and Jason Rebello... the closest I've come to a religious experience. The guitar was truly a different instrument in his hands. 

RIP Jeff. You were the greatest.
    "A city star won’t shine too far"

• maharg101maharg101 Frets: 568
    R4 just played Beck's Bolero into the 0900 pips. I'm in pieces.
    This one goes to eleven

Trading feedback here
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    tFB Trader
    The biggest regret IMO is that Jeff and Rod Stewart never got together to do a blues/soul cover album - They talked about it but it never happened - With what Rod has done with the American Song book albums and both did with People Get Ready then it would have been an album I'd have looked forward to hearing - It doesn't sum up or show Jeff Beck at his best, as we know via the likes of Guitar Workshop etc , but 12 tracks based on People Get Ready would be well worth listening to
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Jimbro66Jimbro66 Frets: 2394
    edited January 2023
    His loss is so tragic and so unexpected. Jeff was one of those rare ageless people, still having the demeanour and verve of a much younger man. Nothing about him said ‘elderly’. Always experimenting, always innovating.

He has been the guitar soundtrack to most of my life and the player I have most consistently enjoyed watching and listening to through the decades. Ask any of the top British and American guitarists who the player they most admire is and many will reply Jeff Beck.

Right from his days in the Yardbirds, when most of his contemporaries were reinventing the blues styles of the three Kings, Jeff was already forging his own path. His playing on tracks like ‘Shapes of Things’ and ‘Over, under, sideways, down’ was far removed from the blues and already exploring all those fractions of a tone that became his trademark.

A tremendous loss. A very good friend of mine who is of Jeff’s generation had Jeff in his band for a while in the very early 60s and they have remained firm friends ever since. He is going to be shattered by Jeff’s passing, as are so many others.

RIP Jeff and thanks for showing us just what can be achieved on the guitar. You set the bar high.
  • fretfinderfretfinder Frets: 4636
    RIP Jeff, magical guitar player. I’ve had a few of his albums over the years and surprising how often when listening you find yourself saying ‘wait, what was that, what did he just do there? I went with a guitar-playing pal to see him in Bournemouth a few years ago and we were transfixed throughout. Another legend gone, sign of the times, very sad.
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 27656
    I heard the news driving to the gym this morning, and I have to admit that I got a bit teary eyed. Such an iconic and amazing guitarist, like no other. I guess it's the hardest death for me since SRV. I shall play Live at Ronnie Scott's later today, such a brilliant album. I'll follow up with Guitar shop, an album that was very close to my heart when it came out.

Rest in peace Jeff, thanks for being amazing ....
  • usedtobeusedtobe Frets: 3841
    Wife just told me. Even though I’m not that familiar with his stuff, I’m well enough aware of how incredibly talented he was, and the regard he’s held in by fans and musicians alike.. I wouldn’t argue with any of the accolades… just an incredible talent..
    Even as someone who isn’t a fan, as such, I’m stunned.. 
    RIP JB
     so if you fancy a reissue of a guitar they never made in a colour they never used then it probably isn't too overpriced.

• welshboyowelshboyo Frets: 1774
    edited January 2023
    Jeff's passing has actually hit me harder than Eddie - that was bad enough but this is another level - he was such a huge influence on me - Guitar Shop was probably my 1st album and it took off from there - people talk about BbB and the earlier stuff - for me he came alive in the 80's with Flash and There and Back and then just went stratospheric from there on - right up to the latest stuff.

Saw him quite a few times live (and with Jan H) and it was always an experience - mainly fighting the urge to give up after seeing him play.

For me, he pissed all over Page (messy), Clapton (Boring) and Blackmore (Twat) as a player - never really strayed from what he started out to do, kept his style, kept his head - just a complete and utter legend.

The more the day goes on and the more I delve into his albums (some I haven't visited for some time) the sadder I get that 1 of the true greats that influenced a lot of my other "guitar heroes" has gone and what will we be left with of a similar ilk - nothign really....sorry....

I just hope that the BBC don't highlight the legacy he has left with Hi Ho Silver Fucking Lining.....
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 8reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • jdgmjdgm Frets: 807
    A legend passes.  One of my biggest heroes.  
    Yes it is sad, but he achieved a hell of a lot and leaves a truly magnificent legacy.
    R.I.P. Jeff, you were the MAN.