Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). Restoring content for a discussion ??? - Help & Feedback Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

Restoring content for a discussion ???

What's Hot
I don't know if it is possible to get the content back from a post I made ?

I then thought was not entirely appropriate to the thread, so I edited it out.

I actually wanted to use it for a completely separate discussion on Pro Audio and volume and SPLs in live situations, with it's ramifications and implications.  "How loud is too loud?" or something similar...
BUT ~ I completely forgot to copy and paste the content, I had so carefully sculpted, into another document, oops !  :(

• Is it lost forever, or is there a way to claim it back from the logs @TTony @digitalscream ?
• And, if so, would it be possible to PM a copy to me please ?

I know you guys are busy behind the scenes keeping everything running so smoothly, but I have meant to ask this question since about one minute after saving the edit !
So I thought I should at least ask.
If not, then no worries, my mistake and my loss.  It would still be nice to have that discussion though...

The comment was about being behind the scenes at the Monsters of Rock at Castle Donington in 1988, and getting into the Guiness Book of Records for the loudest sound system, with an amalgamation of the festival's system and Iron Maiden's own.  Oops, too many spoiler's ;)

For reference, the comment is (was) here:  (back in April 2016 )
http://thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/comment/1022938/#Comment_1022938

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter

Comments

• TTonyTTony Frets: 26143
    140 db peaks *at the desk*   ~   just under 100yds from the stage !

~ classical instruments can be searingly loud, but it takes rock to provide the serious raw power...

BTW ~ I take hearing protection very seriously, and so should you !

More power – is 523kW enough?
    'However, ever more powerful amplifiers were used as bands wanted the sound ever louder, and eventually PA systems moved on from the stacks either side of the stage to ‘flown’ arrays, suspended high above the stage and audience – but not before Iron Maiden set the record at Castle Donington in 1988 for the world’s largest PA system.

As the 2000 edition of the Guinness Book of World Records noted, ‘Largest PA system: On Aug 20th 1988 at the Castle Donington “Monsters of Rock” Festival a total of 360 Turbosound cabinets offering a potential 523kW of programme power, formed the largest front-of-house PA. The average Sound Pressure Level at the mixing tower was 118dB, peaking at a maximum of 124 dB during Iron Maiden’s set. It took five days to set up the system.’

I will bet that the pure sound quality was in advance of anything in use today, given the trends for line arrays, digital processing and storage, and constant cost cutting.  I have to admit partial responsibility for the madness, but it WAS QUIETER than the setup sound checks !   The system was an amalgamation of Brit Row's system for Donnington and Iron Maiden's own system.  The extra headroom thus gained reduced the potential of hearing damage from distortion generated in the power amps and drivers, which is a *significant issue* even in small PAs, do not underestimate that, it is an integral, not just pure SPL.  This is from a post by one of the guys who was also there:

"we were seeing peaks of 140db at the FOH desk and a steady figure of over 130db which were accurately measured by a quality SPL meter not one of the cheap Chinese ones about nowadays----These sound levels were measured on the teatime the day before the venue was opened to the public and after all the system tweaks had been finalized.
    Everyone involved with the production admitted that the levels were far too loud for comfort---don't forget, in those days there were a lot of really good FOH engineers that had worldwide experience of working with extremely loud rock and roll PA rigs and for everyone to agree that it was a bit too loud meant that it really was in your face----Result was that the system was run well within its max limits for the gig and due to the ample headroom that was gained, it really did sound awesome in quality along with power at a pretty high levels of sound---124db at FOH position is still VERY LOUD---especially when you think that a lot of live venues now have max SPLs of less than 100db."

Also to be noted:  "The FOH position was just under 100yds from the stage and I would say that the full width pic of the PA and stage was probably taken off one end of the follow spot gantry above the mixing desks.
    As far as the SPL goes, it was quieter the closer to the stage that you walked on the day of the gig so when you were standing directly in front of the stacks it was not overloud----It was only when you got to the FOH platforms that both sides of the PA just seemed to couple up and it was just like a brick wall of sound hitting you hence the reason to reduce levels as it really was painfull and it also created the problem of no-one being able to hear any cues or even anything on the talkback system."
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 26143
    The server never forgets ;)
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Hey there @TTony ~ way to go my man   B-)

So, so many thanks for that  :)