Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). Charvels pro mods 2013 - Guitar Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

Charvels pro mods 2013

What's Hot
BigBearKrisBigBearKris Frets: 1684
No, not NGD unfortunately, but I'm seriously considering getting one of these 2013 Charvels.

Have anyone got any experience with playing one of the San Dimas / SoCal? They do look good and US SD pups+compound radius+rolled edges on fingerboard sound like a no brainer for just under £600. Hmm, very tempted...
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter

Comments

• n3pn3p Frets: 38
    I had a Japanese So-Cal, and if that's anything to go by then they are seriously good guitars, the necks are fantastic. However, I think that going a bit over £600 may be enough to get a second hand USA charvel?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • dindudedindude Frets: 8409

The 2013 Mex ones are a bit of an unknown quality at the moment, not enough of them in the mix to really know and not enough in stores to easily try.

I set aside some funds for one of the 2013 pro mod hard tails, but I spent that on a minty Jap one last week for the same dosh, just because it was a a far safer bet and it had a ltd colour / better hardware / probably hold it's value better / came with a hard case. I didn't get the best deal possible out there but I had the safety of buying from a shop.

My issues with the mex ones is that it looks like they are cutting corners a bit by putting the same black hardware and SD pickups on each type - the previous versions had some differentiation between the various models which was cool (different colour hardware, SD VS Dimarzio pups). They also don't come with any kind of case.

I like the candy blue colour, they others are a bit dull.

But, if the neck is as good as previous pro mods and you like the spec, why not, I loves me new Jap one.

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • BigBearKrisBigBearKris Frets: 1684
    Thanks for response guys. Yeah, I was thinking about getting used jap/us charvel but there aren't many 2nd hand in uk unfortunately. Fully agree that 2013 version is totally unpredictable at the moment (Anderton's will stock them in 2.5 months so still quite a wait). The fact they make them in Ensenada is a hit or miss as well. My mex Baja tele is great quality, but I've seen some terrible Fenders from there too. Apparently they have separate factory just for those Charvels, so - who knows.
  • mike_lmike_l Frets: 5698

My Charvel is a bit older (It'll be 2 in January) with DiMarzio pup's, but, being frank it's awesomes. The pup's are great, the neck is fantastically smooth and comfortable. I like the simplicity of 2 pups, 1 selector switch and a single volume pot.

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21) 

• Dave_McDave_Mc Frets: 2022
    No, not NGD unfortunately, but I'm seriously considering getting one of these 2013 Charvels.

Have anyone got any experience with playing one of the San Dimas / SoCal? They do look good and US SD pups+compound radius+rolled edges on fingerboard sound like a no brainer for just under £600. Hmm, very tempted...
    It does until you consider that the old MIJ ones also had a case for the same price (and most people would consider MIJ to be a step up from MIM). And the cooler (though admittedly that just depends on what you want) non-recessed trems.

I haven't tried them, though, they may be great.
  • EvilmagsEvilmags Frets: 5158
    Never played a Charvel I didn't like.
  • BigBearKrisBigBearKris Frets: 1684
    Exactly what I wanted to hear ;) You're not helping my GAS my friend :)
  • mike_lmike_l Frets: 5698

Charvel's are T'awesomes..............

Not helping am I...........

That one for sale is very similar to my own Sammie, other than the pup's (mine has DiMarzio's) and it sounds fantastic....

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21)