Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). Ukulele gift advice - Other Instruments Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

Ukulele gift advice

What's Hot

Morning.

When I was on holiday with the family this year I had lots of fun jamming with my niece on her cheapass, £15 ukes so thought I'd get her a bit of an upgrade for Christmas.

Any ukulele experts can recommend something in the £50-£100 range? Looking at Gear4Music there is a bit of a choice but I couldn't tell an overpriced turkey from a bargain.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter

Comments

• rsvmark said:

Thanks for that. I see there is one on Amazon for ~£80. I assume "soprano ukulele" means "normal ukulele"?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • DLMDLM Frets: 2493
    rsvmark said:

Thanks for that. I see there is one on Amazon for ~£80. I assume "soprano ukulele" means "normal ukulele"?

Doink: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ukulele#Sizes

Can't help otherwise, I'm afraid. Ours was about €30 from the notoriously overpriced local store that we try to keep in trade because it is convenient and an income conduit for my OH.

• DLM said:
    rsvmark said:

Doink: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ukulele#Sizes

Can't help otherwise, I'm afraid. Ours was about €30 from the notoriously overpriced local store that we try to keep in trade because it is convenient and an income conduit for my OH.

Yeah. Looks right. I'll get her that one. It looks pretty cool.

Thanks again @rsvmark.

• RiftAmpsRiftAmps Frets: 2989
    tFB Trader
    http://www.southernukulelestore.co.uk/ - these guys are the best
    *I no longer offer replacement speaker baffles*
    Rift Amplification
    Handwired Guitar Amplifiers
    Brackley, Northamptonshire
    www.riftamps.co.uk

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • proggyproggy Frets: 5721

You could have a look the music room online, they're in Cleckheaton (wherever that is) they've got loads of ukes and other folk instruments. I bought a parlour guitar off their site a few years ago and got a really good deal.

Worth a look.

• proggy said:

You could have a look the music room online, they're in Cleckheaton (wherever that is) they've got loads of ukes and other folk instruments. I bought a parlour guitar off their site a few years ago and got a really good deal.

Worth a look.

It is worth a look, but only if you are quick. I had an email form them this morning, and they are having a closing down sale. Some good offers if they have what you are looking for, but not much stock left.
    Cleckheaton is just between Leeds and Huddersfield.
    In jazz, no one can hear you scream
  • proggyproggy Frets: 5721
    proggy said:

Worth a look.

It is worth a look, but only if you are quick. I had an email form them this morning, and they are having a closing down sale. Some good offers if they have what you are looking for, but not much stock left.
    Cleckheaton is just between Leeds and Huddersfield.
    That's a shame
  • I have the Makala MK-T (tenor). New they are £50-£60. I can highly recommend it as an inexpensive upgrade. 

I might be selling mine and moving on to a solid wood one at some point, but probably not before Christmas!