Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). Mic recommendation - Other Instruments Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

Mic recommendation

What's Hot
I've already got this Zoom H2n but here's what I need a mic for:

- Mic up an amp at gigs
- Connect to my Toneport for voice recording
- Singing at gigs 

OK, so for numbers 1 & 3 I'll need two mics. However, is there an all-rounder that isn't too expensive that will do the lot? Maybe I can buy two. Thanks!
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter

Comments

• octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33263
    edited September 2016
    Budget?
    Frankly I would use 3 different microphones for these 3 distinctly different jobs.

Micing up amp at gigs- Sennheiser E906, E609, Shure SM57

Home recording vocal mic- world is your lobster- under £1000 it is hard to beat the Avantone CV12- they are around £500 though.
    Auditioning vocal mics is the way to do this- what suits your voice might not suit someone else's.
    I have half a dozen LDC's that suit a variety of vocals- it isn't always the case that the most expensive mic works best in a given situation.
    Also check out Rode microphones- they are very good for the money- the NT1 is very good for male vocals, I use that over the NT2 quite often.

Singing at gigs: Shure Beta 58, or SM58.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6284
    Oktava MK102 - superb small condensor mic.  Use a MK102 and the -10Db module for close amp micing.

http://www.oktava-shop.com/Small-and-medium-diaphragm-condenser-mics/Oktava-MK-012-01.html

Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • The obvious answer would be an SM57. The more modern Shure Beta57 might be a good bet, too.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    Jalapeno said:
    Oktava MK102 - superb small condensor mic.  Use a MK102 and the -10Db module for close amp micing.

http://www.oktava-shop.com/Small-and-medium-diaphragm-condenser-mics/Oktava-MK-012-01.html

I'm not saying never use a condenser at a gig, but never use a condenser at a gig.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • John_PJohn_P Frets: 2725
    I really like the beta57,   but for a cab mic you won't go wrong with the sennheiser or a sm57,  the sennheiser can be more practical and take up less space though so I use them.    
    For live vocals I'd agree with a beta58 (or beta 57 but an sm58 does the job and will last forever. 

For voice recording it depends what you're trying to achieve and budget - you might want to think about  using some kind of isolation like the se reflection filter as well.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • How much are we talking for these?
    Honestly, I'm not looking to spend a fortune...  :)
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6284
    edited September 2016
    octatonic said:
    Jalapeno said:

I'm not saying never use a condenser at a gig, but never use a condenser at a gig.
    Only as an alternative to the universal standard on a SM57, but they are superb recording mics

For live vocals Sennheiser EE series seem to have better headroom re:feedback (to me anyway). For recording ... the Betas or somethong more exotic from Rode or the like (with a pop shield etc)
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
    How much are we talking for these?
    Well, my suggestions aren't cheap.

If you really are on a budget then get an SM57.
    You can record vocals with it, you can mic up and amp and you can use it live for vocals.
    You can pick up a used SM57 for £50 or so.
    It is quite a compromise though.
  • How much are we talking for these?
    Then
    1- buy one beta 58 for all three jobs
    2- Audix i-5 for cab and SM58 for vocals
  • @thomasross20 ;  Just be wary of fake Shures - there's a fair few of them out there (although I'm not sure if fake 57s are as prevalent as fake 58s?)
    @thomasross20 ;  Just be wary of fake Shures - there's a fair few of them out there (although I'm not sure if fake 57s are as prevalent as fake 58s?)
    Good point - lots of fake 57 and 58s out there,  buy from a reputable shop.     Personally I wouldn't buy a used vocal mic but I don't like the idea of sharing mic's.
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 9752
    edited September 2016
    Senn E945 will do all three with verve and aplomb ...... it's got an extended range over the usual Shure's in terms of frequency response, doesn't have the annoying upper mid hump the Shures have and it's got a tighter pattern so picks up less drum spill at gigs

If I had to use one mic for everything that would be the one
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
  • £50ish sounds ok! 
    How much of a compromise are the mics mentioned? It's not like I'm doing a world tour lol. 
    Some album vox will be done using this, by the way...
  • maltingsaudiomaltingsaudio Frets: 2910
    edited September 2016
    Beta 57 would be my choice for all of that if I had to use one mic. If I had to use the budget for one beta 57£125 to do it all then Red 5 RVD30 £37 live vox and RV6 £79 studio vox and Superlux PRA 628 £32 guitar cab
    www.maltingsaudio.co.uk
    £50ish sounds ok! 
    How much of a compromise are the mics mentioned? It's not like I'm doing a world tour lol. 
    Some album vox will be done using this, by the way...
    Well, imho, I wouldn't do any album vocals with an SM57 but people have done it.
    It depends on you and what you are willing to accept.

If this helps at all, Bono does all of his vocals with a handheld Beta 58- or at least he did.
    But despite what you might think about him he does have an exceptional voice and he sounds brilliant despite the 58, not because of it.
  • AKG D5 is what everybody is using around this part of the world. A great alternative to SM58.
  • hugbothugbot Frets: 1528
    An sm 57 is one of those things you just should have lying around somewhere. 
  • I agree the 57 is a great Mic to have, but on a budget the D5 is a great buy.
  • Just to note I still need to get around to this but will, and appreciate all the input :)
  • CirrusCirrus Frets: 8281
    Get an sm58. Don't listen to any of the other posters in this thread, they're Chinese spies.
    hugbot said:
    An sm 57 is one of those things you just should have lying around somewhere. 
    Wis -   they aren't my first choice but I have a 58 and 57 in the cable bag and several times a year one or both is needed for something.
  • mike257mike257 Frets: 363
    AKG D5 for me. Four in my mic box, it's my general go-to dynamic. Beats the pants of an SM58 in my opinion. Beta 57 is a brilliant all-rounder for voice and instrument micing. I never willingly reach for a bog-standard SM58, there's plenty better options about.
  • CirrusCirrus Frets: 8281
    The beta series are absolutely fantastic if you like 3.5k.  =)
  • sweepysweepy Frets: 4005
    I use an SM57 in my isolation cab and it sounds great, more tones to play with ;)
  • bbill335bbill335 Frets: 1300
    edited October 2016
    e609 destroys sm57 for live amp mic'ing, in my (and a few others' I know) opinion. A guy I know who's a live sound engineer says he only uses e906 but he's an anal bugger and I'm not sure they're hugely different to the 609, if you're being frugal.
  • As previously mentioned, the Sennheiser E609 is your best bet for guitar micing. You don't even need a stand. The E606 is the precursor to this mic, is basically the same and can probably be had for cheaper on ebay. I have one, its cracking.

For vocals, SM58. Its affordable and reliable.

I'd wager you can pick up both of these mics second hand for £200 or less.

Also be aware - an SM57 and an SM58 are the same mic. The only difference is the grill - a 58 has the ball grill and integrated pop filter, the 57 has a flat grill and small body for easier mic placement.

You could get an SM58 to cover all the jobs you need here and it would be perfectly adequate. If you're on a budget, this would be my choice. 

Source: http://shureblog.co.uk/faq-whats-the-difference-between-the-sm58-and-the-sm57/
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 22257
    After trying a load of the classics I still bought the TC Helicon MP75 as a vocal mic.

Suited my voice well. Very happy with it.
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30022
    bbill335 said:
    e609 destroys sm57 for live amp mic'ing, in my (and a few others' I know) opinion. A guy I know who's a live sound engineer says he only uses e906 but he's an anal bugger and I'm not sure they're hugely different to the 609, if you're being frugal.

Maybe he's using them upside down.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • OK it's my birthday soon so I'm going to get one :) 
    Time to go over this thread and make a decision.