Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). What is the hardest instrument to play? - Other Instruments Discussions on The Fretboard

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

What is the hardest instrument to play?

What's Hot

Comments

• Hammered dulcimer

1reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 27656
    Hardest for me (never having been a drummer or a pianist) is my pitiful efforts at learning to play a Chapman Stick. Playing independent parts with your left and right hands - now that's hard! 
    Yes, not necessarily the hardest, but bloody hard! I've wrestled with a Chapman stick for years. I thought that my piano skills would help but they didn't really. It's incredibly hard to get that kind of hand interdependence going when you have a limited view of the fretboard as well. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Sporky said:
    Cello is certainly an order of magnitude harder than guitar, but you don't have to put an awful lot of thought into your breathing which is why I thought trombone might trump it on overall difficulty.

I reckon violin is probably harder than cello because you've got the awful shrill noise of a violin to put up with, which I reckon is more of an ordeal than the wider left-hand stretches of the cello.
    The cello and in turn the double bass get harder in 1 respect - stretches - and easier in another - intonation. In that the longer scale means a larger "sounds in tune" target for the left hand.

Violin doesn't have many mental stretches, but the intonation is very sensitive.

That being said, single or 2 note instruments are often easier than say a piano from an early academic point of view, when 10 notes could be played at once. A better grasp of harmony is needed.

Physically though - I remember my 1 attempt to walk with a sousaphone.... 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • 0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • SporkySporky Frets: 23802
     if you wanted to learn an instrument from scratch ( not the original question here, I know)it might take days or weeks to get a decent noise out of a clarinet or in an intonated note out of a violin but you could be playing a recognisable melody on a keyboard by the end of your first lesson. 
    Actually, I think that's pretty much what I meant (if not what I said).

By competent, I think I mean "good enough to be paid to do it for an audience". So coffee-bar/restaurant piano, wedding reception string quartet, brass band in a park sort of lark.

I do not mean to stifle wider discussion by this.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
  • RolandRoland Frets: 8108
    I've always thought that the theremin must be amongst the most difficult to play. It's not physically difficult, but temperamental and inconsistent.
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Flanging_FredFlanging_Fred Frets: 2871
    edited September 2016
    I think the Uilleann pipes and sitar are supposed to be hard (especially at the same time!)

I seem to remember soneone saying the harp was really difficult.  But that might have been just commenting on taking it on the tube...

I used to play trombone, it's not that hard. I found that the violin and the cornet were both more difficult.
  • RavenousRavenous Frets: 1484
    I've heard the shakuhachi (Japanese flute) is tricky... lots of head positions and blow angles to get the full range of pitches and timbres from it. It's like a recorder with a much more primitive mouthpiece and harder to learn.
  • Of the "standard" orchestral instruments its almost certainly the Oboe or Bassoon. 

I played in a lot of orchestral groups when I was younger and competent Oboists and Bassoonists were very hard to find. And it wasn't because they just don't exist---there were quite a lot of players, just not that many good ones.  
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 27656
    Hammered dulcimer
    The pissed lute and the Rat-arsed harpsichord can also be difficult to handle.
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • paul_c2paul_c2 Frets: 410
    What's easiest then? Bass guitar?
  • paul_c2paul_c2 Frets: 410
    axisus said:
    Hammered dulcimer
    The pissed lute and the Rat-arsed harpsichord can also be difficult to handle.

Bizarrely, "they" say that the triangle is one of the hardest percussion instruments in an orchestra - contrary to its basic stereotype, the parts for triangle are often complex and advanced.
  • IMHO the pedal steel guitar. Sorry but you need all limbs, and in depth knowledge of notes that make up chords for various voicing support as you raise and lower pitch of strings with feet and knees. 
  • koneguitaristkoneguitarist Frets: 4052
    edited September 2016

Bastardly complex when taken to its extremes:
    Piano
    Piano is one up from drums,  your still hitting things, but gotta be more accurate!   ;-)
    Plus you're probably playing country...
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • 0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Yes,  my eldest son being reasonably good at clarinet was given free bassoon lessons and free instrument hire because they were desperate for anyone to play one to a competent standard in the schools Orchestra. Not that he actually managed it. 

Of the "standard" orchestral instruments its almost certainly the Oboe or Bassoon. 

I played in a lot of orchestral groups when I was younger and competent Oboists and Bassoonists were very hard to find. And it wasn't because they just don't exist---there were quite a lot of players, just not that many good ones.  

I’ll handle this Violet, you take your three hour break. 
  • paul_c2 said:

Yes, you can get away with not needing to do very much at all.

• paul_c2 said:

Yes, you can get away with not needing to do very much at all.

I’ll handle this Violet, you take your three hour break. 
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30022
    Piano is really difficult to play well and you try getting it in the car for gigs.
    Chromatic harmonica is no piece of cake either.
    Drums I find impossible to play to any decent standard apart from keeping a steady beat.
  • octatonic said:
    Don't google "tromboning" with the safety filter off.
    Or do... I don't care, really.
    Classic !!!,LOL,HaHaHa !!!
  • When I was a kid I found that playing on the Linoleum came naturally.
  • Theremin?
    onde-martineau?
  • kjdowdkjdowd Frets: 851
    edited September 2016
    Glass harmonica. Oh no, hang on, that's the stupidest.
  • Pink trombone
  • For me its an Axe fx or anything with more than 8 buttons. =(
    Give a man a fire and he's warm for the day. But set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life
  • DominicDominic Frets: 15285
    full size harp
  • I think the Uilleann pipes and sitar are supposed to be hard (especially at the same time!)

I've had an apostrophe.

The hardest instrument to play is also the funniest instrument - of my own invention - the trombazoodian.
  • Chromatic Harmonica? or Guitar like Tommy Emmanuel !!