Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). Recommend me a USB audio interface - Studio & Recording Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

Recommend me a USB audio interface

What's Hot
So, it needs to be able to work with PC or Mac, needs two phantom powered mic inputs, absolute minimal latency and play nicely with Cubase (preferably come bundled with it). Anyone had good results with a particular interface?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter

Comments

• ecc83ecc83 Frets: 1488
    edited December 2013
    You will not do better for the money, just under £200 than the Native Instruments Komplete Audio 6.

2 mic/line/high Z inputs, 2 more balanced line inputs (i.e. 4track recording) MIDI and S/PDIF. It runs on Windows, mac and Linux and you will not get lower latency short of RME kit. 

Oh yes! And it comes with Cubase le6, Kontakt Player, GR5 and a shedload of downloadable samples.

Dave.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • spark240spark240 Frets: 2016
    Dude....will this work ok with Studio One?

Mac Mini M1
    Presonus Studio One V5
     https://www.studiowear.co.uk/ -
     https://twitter.com/spark240
     Facebook - m.me/studiowear.co.uk
    Reddit r/newmusicreview 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Hertz32Hertz32 Frets: 2248
    Akai EIE Pro.    £169
    Great bit of kit, great price.
    'Awibble'
    Vintage v400mh mahogany topped dreadnought acoustic FS - £100 
  • ecc83ecc83 Frets: 1488
    spark240 said:
    Dude....will this work ok with Studio One?

I can see absolutely no reason why it shouldn't. Generally DAW software finds the hardware and you just have to set it up from a drop down menu. 

One tip before you install ANY AI. Kill the computer's internal sound (often called "AC97") This is best done in BIOS but if that is too scary, Control Panel and disable. Then, when you install the new hardware the PC can ONLY find that as a "soundcard". 

The Akai has a bit of a following but I have read of driver issues and poor latency performance. If you do go for one, make double D sure you get the "Pro" version. The cheaper one is 16bits only and you cannot, AFAIK, record 4 discrete channels.

Dave.

• FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24595
    daveyh said:
    So, it needs to be able to work with PC or Mac, needs two phantom powered mic inputs, absolute minimal latency and play nicely with Cubase (preferably come bundled with it). Anyone had good results with a particular interface?
    I have a Native Instruments Komplete 6 and a Steinberg UR22 [on different systems] running Cubase 7.5 and Cubase Artists 7.5 [one is a company machine the other my home setup]. Both interfaces are rock solid and offer excellent quality. The Komplete 6 is more expensive but is worth the extra dosh IMHO.

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
  • WolfetoneWolfetone Frets: 1417
    I have an ART 2 channel dual Pre coming. I will report what I find.

• WolfetoneWolfetone Frets: 1417
    It's going back. It doesn't have enough gain for my application. I will have to get a Tube MP -V3. 
  • I got a Focusrite Saffire 6 off evilbay for £100 a year ago. I run it into my PC and thru Reaper and Sonar X1 and it never missed a beat. Liking the VU meters on that Akai!!!
  • paulkpaulk Frets: 318
    edited January 2014
    I can also vouch for the Akai EIE Pro. Rock solid, idiot proof and really good value.
  • BranshenBranshen Frets: 1221
    focusrite scarlett user here. Recorded loads and loads. Has been top notch.