Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). So .... who does proper rockabilly? - Technique Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

So .... who does proper rockabilly?

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• OilCityPickupsOilCityPickups Frets: 7616
    tFB Trader
    Scotty Moore: amazing, so laid back but so 'right'! I love Cliff Gallop too ... and Cochran ... all pioneers and brilliant in their different ways.
    Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
    Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • SetzerSetzer Frets: 37
    Congrats on getting the gig!

Will you be doing mostly originals or covers?
    Valar Morghulis
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • OilCityPickupsOilCityPickups Frets: 7616
    tFB Trader
    Setzer said:
    Congrats on getting the gig!

Will you be doing mostly originals or covers?
    Mostly originals. The vocalist has a real 'feel' for the genre and for the lyrical content, and has written an album + worth of material already. The idea is that I'll collaborate on some more originals and we'll top off with some covers of stuff that goes with 'our style'. Early days yet, only my audition/first full band rehearsal last night ... but very encouraging.
    I didn't take my own amp and played through a Blackstar HT60 and was pleasantly surprised: nice, big, fat clean sound with plenty of bite on my bridge Sun-T-Ron (Dynasonic style) ... kicked it into a bit of grit with my TubeScreamer for the more 'in your face' solos.
    Things were a little noisy as I was virtually sitting on the amp in the tiny rehearsal room and single coil buzz mixed with just being on the edge of feedback (we're quite a loud band it seems) meant I 'rode' the volume quite a lot.
    The interesting thing was the other guitarist had to swap from his new GretschG6118T Anniversary onto his Tele as, through the Hotrod Deluxe (again the studio's), and through the Blackstar (we tried swapping amps) it sounded flat and 'boxy' compared to my Artcore with the single coils! He's been having that problem at home too ... he has a Fender Blues Junior I believe. The Gretsch sounded better through the Blackstar ... but definitely not as 'open' and ... well ... 'Gretschy' as a vintage instrument. We're going to try it against my other Ibanez semi with the Cow-T-Rons as they are (I have a feeling) a little lower output and a little less blocked up in the mids.  It's really made me think about getting a Electromatic and sticking my own pickups in, rather than saving for a new US model!

Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
    Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • RoxRox Frets: 2147
    Good luck with it all.  :)  The talk of Mr. Higham suggests the following little guitar he helped design with Peavey - The Rockingham:

Made by Peerless (Peerless then used the design for the Peerless Gigmaster Custom, and even used the same design to produce the discontinued Gretsch G3131! )
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 15603
    Mmm, I have long since fancied a Rockingham, especially purple with a bigsby and they don't go for much used ( not like they make new ones). Nice.
    I’ll handle this Violet, you take your three hour break. 
  • RoxRox Frets: 2147
    edited January 2014
    It's funny; the Peavey is the original, but the copies of it tend to go for more.  Just shows the madness of the headstock name game.  :D  (Great for snagging a bargain, mind)

It's great to play, really comfy, and it's just got that 'vibe' that gets you wanting to play some rock n roll.  Sounds smashing even with the stock pickups.  And it's a USA Bigsby, so fantastic value.
  • SetzerSetzer Frets: 37
    Its quite a coincidence you should mention the other guitarists Annie as I was at a friends house a while ago and he had that exact guitar and his was brand new too. I brought my RHH with me and we had a go with his Annie through his 70's Pro Reverb then my RHH with TV Jones Classics in it and mine definitely had more chime and sparkle to it. 

Did he have his Filtertrons right up against the strings the way they are meant to be? I would imagine that you would have had a look at that so I guess its probably just the Filtertrons that are a bit dull sounding, fwiw I find Filtertrons a bit dull and prefer the TV Jones pups as they do have more of a twang.

I recently got a Black Falcon with Dynasonics in it and they are great pickups, very different to Filters and if played against standard Filtertrons would definitely make them sound flat.

Almost anybody who buys an Electromatic changes the pickups to TV Jones which is quite an expense but in your case that wouldnt be quite the same issue so maybe you would be better with an Electromatic. The Prolines are definitely a bit nicer to play and are better quality but the Electromatics are good guitars apart from the electrics which need totally replaced which on a Gretsch is a bit of a job but wouldn't cause you any trouble. 

Im glad to hear that you are enjoying the new band, rockabilly is a blast to play and is more alive than most people realise.

Valar Morghulis