Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). Mondeo/Vectra/407 Opinions please... - Off Topic Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

Mondeo/Vectra/407 Opinions please...

NiallmoNiallmo Frets: 467
Hello everybody!

Since MR went FUBAR, I have officially announced that Mrs Niallmo is Pregnant.
This means I need to buy a bigger car to replace my 110k miles 2004 Almera. I'm thinking 2007-2009 Peugeot 407 HDi/Mondeo TDCI. Has anyone had any experience of these and could anyone recommend anything else? budget about £6k...4/5 door preferably diesel...Skoda is out unfortunately on wishes of "the management".
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter

Comments

• spacecadetspacecadet Frets: 671
    Been in a 2008 Mondeo Zetec Diesel estate from new. I've just tipped 210k on it and it's still driving like new. Clutch went at 110k which is expected but other than that it's been great.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • DeadmanDeadman Frets: 3663
    edited August 2013
    I've got the new(er) shape Mondeo. 2008 125ps 1.8 TDCi. 6 speed. They pull really well for only 125 bhp. It does 43 mpg on average and is very reliable. You need to watch the power steering pumps on them though as they're susceptible to failure on 07/08 models (£1000-£1500 to repair!).
    The boot is huge. Rear legroom is immense. Handling is excellent. Motorway cruising is a breeze.

Mine's a Ghia with optional sport pack (18" alloys, spoiler etc). It has every extra you can think of. If I'm honest I only really like the look of them with a nice bit of kit stuck on them. Some of them look very bland. I'd try to go for a Titanium if you can (if you're that way inclined).
    I play at my dining room table.
  • DeadmanDeadman Frets: 3663
    .......Oh by the way. I had a Vectra C 2.2 petrol before the Mondeo and it was ultra reliable. This Mondeo runs rings around it in every way though.
    I play at my dining room table.
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24595
    Mondeo ... recently got rid of the wife's. Ultra reliable and surprisingly cheap to service [local independent not Ford main dealer].

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 11742

Yup, the Mondeo is the best out of that lot.

Congrats Niall btw. :)

• octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33263
    Out of those- the Mondeo.

• chrispy108chrispy108 Frets: 2336
    Congrats!

Always liked the Mondeo's I've had
  • chillidoggychillidoggy Frets: 17130
    edited August 2013
    Mondeo. I've got the previous shape 2.0 TDCi and I find it comfortable, cavernous, cheap to insure, 42-50 mpg, etc, etc. I'd have another without question, but the latest shape, and not the Titanium because the suspension's too hard for the roads around here.

• If you can find an early Insignia, they are massively better than Vectras in every way. Good alternative to Mondeo, though I agree the Ford is probably the best choice overall. Congratulations!