Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). Ugly classic cars - Off Topic Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

Ugly classic cars

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• Axe_meisterAxe_meister Frets: 4451
    TR7 V8s are great. Mine was pushing 260 bhp
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • BucketBucket Frets: 7749
    edited August 2013
    That's pretty cool - I bet that went like shit off a shovel. Fuel economy must have been horrific though, Rover V8s are hardly the last word in efficiency or sophistication - I've heard that old Land Rovers with them fitted often average about 10 mpg.
    - "I'm going to write a very stiff letter. A VERY stiff letter. On cardboard."
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • BucketBucket Frets: 7749
    ICBM said: I agree, I just don't think the 7 is as bad as a lot of other 70s/80 British efforts, and has a certain "future retro" charm to it now. I do think the soft-top looks *miles* better than the hardtop though.

A friend of my dad's has a TR6... I just wish that when he fully restored and resprayed it, he'd gone with something less original than mustard yellow!
    My dad had a TR7 very briefly around the time they came out - IIRC  he told me he didn't even manage to drive it home, he got halfway there before turning around to take it back, because he hated it so much :D

I just found this picture of a modded TR6 - whatever your views on modified cars, I think this looks stunning.

- "I'm going to write a very stiff letter. A VERY stiff letter. On cardboard."
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 69426
    edited August 2013
    With standard early-70s British Leyland brakes and steering :-O.
    Bucket said:
    Fuel economy must have been horrific though, Rover V8s are hardly the last word in efficiency or sophistication - I've heard that old Land Rovers with them fitted often average about 10 mpg.
    I remember Quentin Wilson said they were so hugely powerful you could tow a fuel tanker behind you :).

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • holnrewholnrew Frets: 8201

And one of my own, not-so-smart purchases, of a few years ago:-

http://i232.photobucket.com/albums/ee189/chillidoggy/Cars/scan0018.jpg

I like them, they look alright and have the V8 noise. But I think I can guess what made it a not so smart purchase...
    My V key is broken
  • Axe_meisterAxe_meister Frets: 4451
    ICBM;10537" said:
    Axe_meister said:

With standard early-70s British Leyland brakes and steering :-O.

Bucket said:Fuel economy must have been horrific though, Rover V8s are hardly the last word in efficiency or sophistication - I've heard that old Land Rovers with them fitted often average about 10 mpg.

I remember Quentin Wilson said they were so hugely powerful you could tow a fuel tanker behind you :).
    Mine did about 9mpg. I rebuilt the engine from the ground up. Never quite got the carboration right so it would push flames out of the exhaust.
    Updated the breaks to 4 pot calipers and fitted power steering.
    Had to stiffen the body as it would twist with the tourque produced.
    Do miss it. It had character, but I fell in love with a lotus Elise S1
  • bertiebertie Frets: 12145
    edited August 2013
    whoops, wrong thread.    :))
    just because you don't, doesn't mean you can't
     just because you do, doesn't mean you should.
  • OilCityPickupsOilCityPickups Frets: 7616
    edited August 2013 tFB Trader
    Had one of these years ago ... went like stink and was quite a ground breaker for its day. But I could never make up my mind if it was pretty or just pretty ugly. Wrapped it round a wall in the end so settled the argument :(
    Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
    Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog

• bertiebertie Frets: 12145
    Had one of these years ago ... went like stink 
    funny you should say that,  a mate had one back in the 80s,  was frighteningly quick,  considering how shite the breaks were :D
    just because you don't, doesn't mean you can't
     just because you do, doesn't mean you should.
  • chillidoggychillidoggy Frets: 17130
    edited August 2013
    My Stag looked gorgeous, sounded wonderful, and was a full four seat convertible. Downsides were crap cooling (mechanical fan, electric fan, 12-vane water-pump, engine oil cooler, and it still ran too hot), for a crap engine (snapped the jackshaft in half, broken timing chains)., crap rear suspension (felt like a wheel was about to fall off when you exited a corner), crap gearbox (Borg-Warner "bogwash" 35), and crap fuel consumption (18 mpg round town). I couldn't wait to offload the poxy thing.