Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). Wish me luck - I'm going in ! - Off Topic Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

Wish me luck - I'm going in !

JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6284
A number of PC faults, not least my data drive has packed up (here's hoping the auto-backup has done its job or I've lost 10yrs of photos/videos :( )

Given up trying to get a PCI sound card to behave under W7 - USB (Scarlett 2i2) to get installed.

Finally trying to eliminate the recently manifested buzzing on my recording/payback setup
Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter

Comments

• TTonyTTony Frets: 26143

How did it turn out?  I daren't think how I'd feel if I lost 10yrs of photos/videos/music ...

I ask as someone who spent a lot of hours yesterday trying to get Win7 working properly on a MacBook Air via Bootcamp.

Started at 3.30, finished at 22.00.

It (finally) lives ...

Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 11742
    TTony said:

I daren't think how I'd feel if I lost 10yrs of photos/videos/music ...

Me either. Whimper.
    :-<
  • Emp_FabEmp_Fab Frets: 23224
    Jalapeno said:
    (here's hoping the auto-backup has done its job or I've lost 10yrs of photos/videos :(
    Hoping ?

You really ought to have been checking at some point in the last ten years !  Good luck anyway !
    Humans are destructive parasites that will destroy the celestial oasis of Earth.  The sooner Homo Sapiens are extinct, the better.
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6284
    I do check the backup, but it appears this disc has been on the blink for a while and I hadn't noticed, and the backups have cycled - not looking good .....

Will rip it out and see if I can extract stuff in batches ....

Damn !  :(

Feedback

:cry

• John_PJohn_P Frets: 2725
    Jalapeno said:
    I do check the backup, but it appears this disc has been on the blink for a while and I hadn't noticed, and the backups have cycled - not looking good .....

Will rip it out and see if I can extract stuff in batches ....

Damn !  :(
    Ouch!     Good luck - I hope you manage to get it all (or most) or it back! :)
    edited August 2013
    Thanks, settling for ANY at the minute  ..... ;)

Feedback
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17108
    tFB Trader
    Horrible 

This is why I love Dropbox
    You're right a weekly bactch job to zip everything up and dump it in the cloud.  Now I have fibre broadband I should add some belt & braces AND a piece of string.

Feedback
    Well looking good .... old disc is chuntering away in a USB caddy - copying to another USB drive ......

Fingers crossed !

Feedback

Fingers crossed.

I use 2 4Tb NAS boxes, both on RAID5, which backup the main drives in the PC.

And then periodically copy the really important stuff to a 2Tb USB drive that lives elsewhere.

I use 4x2TB Raid 5 NAS for backup too - it's the 4 week cycle that's killed me.

Think I'm going to automate bundling stuff up and throwing into the cloud at intervals, and occasional USB dump

Feedback
    Woo Hoo !  That's the photos rescued :)

iTunes next ... That'll take a LOT longer ! ;)

Feedback

:)

• holnrewholnrew Frets: 8201
    Jalapeno said:
    Well looking good .... old disc is chuntering away in a USB caddy - copying to another USB drive ......

Fingers crossed !

I just tried to do that. I can't hand anymore.
    My V key is broken
    Good - it make you go blind.

All OK so far - just some mopping up to do - phew³ !

Feedback