Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). Little Chef - Off Topic Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

Little Chef

What's Hot
I know there aren't many of these left but you see one ever so often and about once a year I seem to stumble into one. I went into one last week in Scotland as the first services I came to after a long stretch of A road.
Bloody hell, it was awful. The food seemed very expensive for what it was (eg the man at the table next to me had fish and chips which just looked like a meal for one out of the freezer section at Aldi) and the menu hasn't changed since 1973, The place was disorganised (huge ad outside for take away coffee for £1.99 and when people came in for one there was no obvious way to get one, the tables were left uncleared despite half the staff having nothing to do), it looked tired and they couldn't make a coffee ( tasteless and cold, got sent back and came back hot but even more tasteless - I went to a MacDonalds half an hour later just to get a coffee for the caffeine fix I wanted).
This just seems to be a business in a very slow suicide dive. Just seems beyond me why the company can't be arsed to make the simplest changes to try to fix it.  
I’ll handle this Violet, you take your three hour break. 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter

Comments

• Little Chef was recently sold to the Kuwaitis for £15m

Robbed!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • LixartoLixarto Frets: 1618
    I remember seeing the Heston programme a while ago - they looked doomed then; senior management with no idea.

It's been some years since I was in one, but they gave me duff fried eggs :(
    "I can see you for what you are; an idiot barely in control of your own life. And smoking weed doesn't make you cool; it just makes you more of an idiot."
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 15603
    Little Chef was recently sold to the Kuwaitis for £15m

Robbed!
    They need to get to work pronto then!
    I’ll handle this Violet, you take your three hour break. 
    I remember watching the Heston programme about them - they looked doomed then.

It's some years since I've eaten in one, but I distinctly remember being served duff fried eggs, which is a bloody crime in my book :(
    "I can see you for what you are; an idiot barely in control of your own life. And smoking weed doesn't make you cool; it just makes you more of an idiot."
  • SporkySporky Frets: 23802
    I was always more of a Happy Eater chap.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • VimFuegoVimFuego Frets: 14862
    I always liked the logo for happy eater, looked like someone putting their fingers down their throat. Which is odd, cos I never had any issues with vomiting after eating there.

I'm not locked in here with you, you are locked in here with me.

• monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17108
    tFB Trader
    My mate calls it Little Thief. 
    Apologies for that odd double-post; not sure what's going on there.
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17108
    tFB Trader
    Spam filter shenanigans. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Bet Dick Turpin would kick himself that he didn't come up with the idea of Little Chef!

My muse is not a horse and art is not a race.
  • vizviz Frets: 10211
    VimFuego said:
    I always liked the logo for happy eater, looked like someone putting their fingers down their throat. Which is odd, cos I never had any issues with vomiting after eating there.

Neither did I - none whatsoever lol
    Paul_C said: People never read the signature bit.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 69426
    edited August 2013
    Sounds like RCapital ran away laughing madly all the way to the bank...

The last time I was in one was about thirty years ago. I've never had any desire to go back.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

• RobDaviesRobDavies Frets: 2983
    Never really had a problem with Little Chef.  You know what you're getting and you know that it won't be cheap.

Football away days are built on an Olympic Breakfast.
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6284
    They're doomed - since the asset strippers took all their property and gave it to Travelodge and then declared them bankrupt because of the rent debt.
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 11742
    The only reason to go into a Little Chef was to have Jubilee Pancakes. And a piss.
  • chillidoggychillidoggy Frets: 17130
    I used to use one near Liphook on the way to Portchester. Arriving one morning, the waiter told me I'd have to go to the next Little Chef, as they hadn't got any clean crockery.

• I stopped at one recently to use the lav. It was clean, the driers worked, there was soap in the dispenser, and the water was warm.

No idea about the food though.
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself