Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). youview? freeview? freesat? - Off Topic Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

youview? freeview? freesat?

What's Hot
Help! I want to get rid of our Sky subscription, but what do I get instead? Youview looks good and I'd be happy to change our Sky broadband for BT if the package was right. However, we need to save some money so it needs to be plenty cheaper than our current Sky bill (total of about £55 with BB and phone). Is it worth it?

Freeview+ would probably do the job, tbh. And we should probably avoid anything with a subscription but I just wondered if was a good option. It may not feel like such a wrench then!

Cheers.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter

Comments

• bertiebertie Frets: 12145
    edited August 2013
    crikey my Virgin bill is about £130 a month.................  that is 'everything' tho............phone/60mb b-band/V+ XL/HD/all the sky sports and all the films/second box/about 5 on demand HD films a month
    just because you don't, doesn't mean you can't
     just because you do, doesn't mean you should.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • I feel better now :-)

I've cut Sky Sports, but still have movies. No HD channels. And that bill may well be a bit more that £55, it's possible I'm in denial. It's not much more though. I have Netflix and the Sky Movies have been crap recently.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • SporkySporky Frets: 23802
    I ditched Sky altogether a few months back - make sure they've turned off all the services. They twice sent debt collectors after me over unpaid bills - turns out these were for caller id and another service on a phone line that was no longer with Sky.

I went to Virgin. I think if I was changing again now I'd go for just a decent inferweb connection and a smart TV with Freeview and catch-up stuff onboard - but that's not necessarily a money-saving approach.

Youview looks interesting.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
  • Typical flipping Sky! I'll look out for that, thanks.

Virgin isn't available here, so it always puts us at a disadvantage. We thought about a smart tv, but although it's a bit of a faff, the Wii allows the viewing of catch up TV and Netflix. Maybe we should just go with a Freeview+ HDD recorder and save the £40 tv subs.
  • You can ditch the Sky service but if you've had Sky more than 12 months keep the box. It makes an excellent Freesat HD box.

• @Grumpyrocker Oh really? I was under the impression that it would be pretty useless without a Sky subscription. Does the HDD bit still work on it then? Logic says it should but do you need the Sky card? I should add that it's not an HD box, just standard Sky+.
  • holnrewholnrew Frets: 8201
    Is it just the expense, or are you unhappy with their service?
    My V key is broken
  • It's the expense @holnrew. It's not so justifiable now that I earn half what I did.
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 15603
    With Virgin we threaten to cancel every couple of years and they do something like a free upgrade. Might be worth a go. Downside is you start another 12 month contract.
    I’ll handle this Violet, you take your three hour break. 
    bertie;8589" said:
    crikey my Virgin bill is about £130 a month.................  that is 'everything' tho............phone/60mb b-band/V+ XL/HD/all the sky sports and all the films/second box/about 5 on demand HD films a month
    for £130 a month I'd expect a weekly handjob off Richard as part of the package.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • ChuffolaChuffola Frets: 1966
    Or, preferably, one of his sexy female assistants.
    Chuffola;8686" said:
    Or, preferably, one of his sexy female assistants.
    no, for that money I'd insist on the boss.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    And his pal who's in all the adverts, Usain Bolt watching.

That's more than my rent costs!
    My V key is broken
  • @Grumpyrocker Oh really? I was under the impression that it would be pretty useless without a Sky subscription. Does the HDD bit still work on it then? Logic says it should but do you need the Sky card? I should add that it's not an HD box, just standard Sky+.
    I don't know if you can record. But you can still watch lots of HD channels. Perhaps you need a freesat recorder. 

• Ditched sky for freesat and quite happy, went through a bit of pain at first missing some channels but after a while forgot about them
    www.maltingsaudio.co.uk
  • johnnyurqjohnnyurq Frets: 1368
    edited August 2013
    I've got YouView on BT Broadband and it is pretty good with all the free HD channels and a fair few catch up/on demand services. More are getting added all the time. 

You can record two channels at once and if you wish watch a recording at the same time.

The subscription is way cheaper than Sky with a goodly amount of, channels, content and on demand premium stuff.

The on demand stuff and iPlayer etc is a boon so no more missing stuff even if you forget to record summat.

If you have BT Infinity you can very soon (if not already) get the best of Sky on it for way less than Sky charges.

This is what I am waiting for (BT Infinity soon wooh hoo) to ditch Sky and the Murdoch buttholes.

The box is Humax and you will most likely get a 1TB one these days but I have found 500GB more than sufficient. The Humax box and EPG are excellent BTW.

We don't have Virgin and no prospect of it in my lifetime otherwise that is where I would put my money if I could.

Edit 

Forgot to say you also get the BT Sports channels for nowt, but you can also get that on Sky if you are a BT customer too though. 

Linky too. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33263
    bertie said:
    Get Netflix.
    We have 100Meg Virgin with XL TV and no movies and we pay £65 a month.
    Netflix brings it to £70 and is all you can eat movies etc.
  • bertiebertie Frets: 12145
    octatonic said:
    bertie said:
    Get Netflix.
    We have 100Meg Virgin with XL TV and no movies and we pay £65 a month.
    Netflix brings it to £70 and is all you can eat movies etc.
    the movies arent really the problem.......its the phone and the sports channels (which may go now the rugby might not be on Sky) 

just because you don't, doesn't mean you can't
     just because you do, doesn't mean you should.
  • Seriously considering ditching Sky now. Was considering the BT offering, but you need Infinity Broadband for the full package and that's not available where I live. Annoying.

• Thanks very much @johnnyurq. I'll look into YouView.
    It is possible to live without phone sex lones @Bertie
    My V key is broken
  • johnnyurqjohnnyurq Frets: 1368
    edited August 2013
    Thanks very much @johnnyurq. I'll look into YouView.
    No worries @clare_bear and if you have any further questions feel free to ask away.