Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). Klone Army - FX Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

Klone Army

What's Hot
randomhandclapsrandomhandclaps Frets: 20521

I am thinking of starting a business selling clones of Klon clones.  Which would be the best Klon clone to clone?)

Seriously though, why are some companies, correctly in my opinion, pillarised for ripping off designs like the Timmy, yet the Klon is pilfered wholesale by some and it's considered acceptable?

I am truly interested in what people think.  I know the price of the original puts it out of reach of most etc and I have no issue with someone making up a clone or two and selling it on.  However many makers have made a tidy profit 'mass' producing Klon clones without facing the wrath of internet forums.  Why is this?

My muse is not a horse and art is not a race.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 69426
    edited August 2013
    I don't think you should be doing this for commercial profit.

Building one for yourself is OK, making money from someone else's design without permission is not, and I don't care who else is doing it or whether you think you're just "copying a copy" - if it's a copy of a exact copy of an original it's still just a knock-off of the original, and if it's a copy of a derivative that could possibly be considered slightly original in its own right, then it's still a copy.

That's what I think.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • spacecadetspacecadet Frets: 671
    I think a lot of it is because Bill Finnegan is a cantankerous old git that by his own admission, made a living from making someone elses design. Yes he helped but an engineer did the legwork and the clever stuff. Paul C on the other hand is a genuine and honest bloke. Couldn't be nicer to deal with and has always sold his stuff at the right price. Even when Klon were readily available from Bill you would still pay £300 for one.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • ICBM said:
    I don't think you should be doing this for commercial profit.

Building one for yourself is OK, making money from someone else's design without permission is not, and I don't care who else is doing it or whether you think you're just "copying a copy" - if it's a copy of a exact copy of an original it's still just a knock-off of the original, and if it's a copy of a derivative that could possibly be considered slightly original in its own right, then it's still a copy.

That's what I think.
    I am not seriously thinking about doing this and agree totally with your point.  It just bemuses me how the Klon has become fair game in the eyes of many.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Dave_McDave_Mc Frets: 2022
    edited August 2013
    I think you ran into trouble the instant you expected the boutique effects market to have any kind of rational thought in it :))

But regarding the original question, I personally don't have a massive problem with clones as long as they're up-front about it- that way people who want to buy the original can still do so, and people who don't want the original can buy the clone (whether that's because they can't afford the original, or want a "better" (more expensive) version, if you ask me, neither group is really in the target market of the original manufacturer).

It's the people claiming to have reinvented the wheel when it's JATS that I don't like.

I have a bunch of cheaper clones and I rationalise it that, for all I use pedals, there's no way I'd have been buying the original at the price they cost. At the price of joyo, mooer etc. it's just a bit of fun for when i feel like mucking about with pedals- when i need srs bzness distortion I have high gain amps for that.

I'm also not gonna tell some 13 year old kid who's saved up his/her pocket money for ages that he/she is awful for buying, say, a bad monkey instead of a tubescreamer.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Seems like a good business to be in. Buy in some Bad Monkeys - put the bits in a metal box with a mythical creature and come up with some amusing Klone-like name. Quids in.

•  

Seems like a good business to be in. Buy in some Bad Monkeys - put the bits in a metal box with a mythical creature and come up with some amusing Klone-like name. Quids in.

Let me know when you have finalised the name and I will take one...maybe two if they are dear enough or limited enough.

•  

Seems like a good business to be in. Buy in some Bad Monkeys - put the bits in a metal box with a mythical creature and come up with some amusing Klone-like name. Quids in.

Let me know when you have finalised the name and I will take one...maybe two if they are dear enough or limited enough.

You'll have to wait in the queue behind the folks at TGP willing to pay $400.

:))

That would actually be a nice experiment. Put something in a fancy enclosure, claim it's a clone of something sought-after when it's not, and then see if they all notice.

A similar one with a cheapo pedal rehoused in a fancy enclosure but claimed to be some mythical new od would also be a nice experiment. Though I suppose you could claim that experiment happened already with the freekish thing...
  • juansolojuansolo Frets: 1772
    It's been done to death, but my disclaimer on my site pretty much covers it:

"The pedal market is full of contradiction, hypocrisy, deception and ever so inventive marketing bullshit. Yet within that same market there are some really good guys turning out some great gear. There are also a lot of DIY enthusiasts, and I like to think that we can co-exist. So I really don't want to piss off the enlightened guys who are currently supportive of the DIY scene. The rest...? Well they can just suck my hairy balls."

So for example, I will not make you a clone of anything by Catalinbread, but will happily turn out Klones until the cows come home.
    edited August 2013
    As for selling Klones... Hasn't everyone got one by now? I usually have one or two up for sale on ebay at any one time and sell maybe one a month. They're the only thing I make and sell this way. I might make £50 or so on each if I don't count my own labour (which when I had a proper job would have cost a shitload more than that!). It's not exactly sustainable.

I wouldn't mind, I only build them to fund my own pedal building habit. It's pretty dull to make the same thing over and over.
    Dave_Mc said:
    A similar one with a cheapo pedal rehoused in a fancy enclosure but claimed to be some mythical new od would also be a nice experiment. Though I suppose you could claim that experiment happened already with the freekish thing...
    It did - and not even rehoused, just repainted. Any fool with the slightest knowledge of pedals should have been able to tell what it was.
    juansolo said:
    So for example, I will not make you a clone of anything by Catalinbread, but will happily turn out Klones until the cows come home.
    Out of interest, why? Just because you like the Catalinbread guy and don't like the Klon guy?

Or because the "true" Klon is no longer in production, and people don't want the one with the stupid text on it?

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

edited August 2013
    Bill tried to get FSB shut down and branded us terrorists because some guys on FSB de-gooped his pedal and found it not to be the second coming. Catalinbread, Paul C and many others are much more enlightened and actively take part in the DIY community. Essentially if you treat people well you generally get a positive reaction. The DIY guys are interested in how pedals work, most people who make pedals for a living are too. We can co-exist and even learn from each other. Which is cool.

There's an sticky ethics thread over on madbean that's concise and to the point. Or if you go onto DIYStompboxes and register, there's the big catfight thread in the members area that isn't.

The long and short of it is that there are about 3 sides to the ethics debate and no matter which side you are on, you're going to piss someone else off. It's futile, like discussing religion or politics. Life's just too short.
  • EdGripEdGrip Frets: 736
    Legally, all of these circuits are fair game. 

Morally, it's up to you, only you, and not some other bloke on a forum preaching to you. You need to make your own mind up. If you decide that one company's pedals are not fair game because you think they are nice people and don't want to, but don't mind copying another, that's an okay decision. 

I find it interesting that Lovepedal are basically copies of other relatively recent boutique designs, and yet everyone seems to bum them. As far as overdrive or distortion circuits go, there's not much new under the sun. Almost EVERYTHING out there is derivative. 
    (as such, build a copy of someone else's design but change the value of a cap or a resistor to your tastes, if you like.)

My opinion is that, if you think you can make useful money building distortion pedals - be it a copy of a TubeScreamer, a Klon or something of your own design (which you might well arrive at by copying other circuits and experimenting), then by all means go for it!

- Ed
    ...oh, and go and hang out at Freestompboxes.com - they are lovely and extremely helpful folks!
    Incidentally, some earlier comments on this thread brought to mind "Pedalgate" - if you're not already familar with it, just Google "Joyo Freekish Blues". The gist is that there was a company called Freekish Blues who were buying £20 Joyo TubeScreamer and OCD clones, gooping the boards and repainting the boxes, and selling them for boutique money to the twats on TGP. Truly LOL-worthy. 

Furthermore, these very same TGP-type buyers will always be adamant that a clone, with exactly the same circuit and components, does not sound as good as the original. This is because Mojo>physics. These are not the people you will be selling to. I would think that you'll largely be selling to enlightened people who are probably capable of building their own pedals but are too lazy, like me.

This is the Light Side of the force - making clones, and selling them as such to like-minded peeps.
    The Dark Side is making clones, and selling them as something new in a pretty new box to stupid peeps. 
    edited August 2013
    Ooooh Lovepedal... I have no issues with people selling clones of old effects when they say what they are and do it well. When you wrap it up with the sort of tosh that LP do I do tend to take exception. For example:

"The Lovepedal Les Lius features a three way toggle switch that allows you to change tones from 5E3 Woody (Tweed Fender Deluxe), High Power Twin (50′s Fender Twin) and Master Volume Tchula (combination of both the 5E3 Woody and the High Power Twin). The amount of VOLUME is controlled by the first knob. The second knob is a second gain stage which emulates what happens when you crank one of these vintage low wattage amplifiers."

It's a very lightly modded Electra Distortion. The amp models literally, depending on position, add none, one or two more diodes to the already present on board clipping. The second gain stage is complete bollocks considering it only has one transistor! 
    Then to buy a random rubber stamp and slap it on the front... That's finishing!?

It's everything I hate about some boutique pedal builders. A pisspotical circuit dressed up in flowery marketing and finished in the same sort of manner a 5 year old might. Slap a huge price on it and the TGP crowd lap it up. I genuinely have no idea why.
  • Although any circuit is fair game, this isn't solely what's happening with Klon clones.  Those who are making and properly marketing Klon clones wholesale are using the name and the attached bullshit to sell theirs.  Basically it's 'The Klon is the Holy Grail, but you don't want to pay holy grail prices do you?'.

I'm don't really buy into the good guy, bad guy angle.  I have never read a bad comment about Paul C, but that doesn't mean his spare time isn't spent drowning baby bunnies.  He may genuinely be a great bloke or he may be very astute at personal marketing.  With Bill trying to shut FSB, although I would have hated to see it, I can understand him being pissed - would you not be?  It's not a cure for cancer that he should be morally obliged to share.  Although it may not have been the holy grail beneath the goop, it obviously impressed and intrigued someone enough to see what was under there.

• Lovepedal's bollocks is totally propelled be PGS.
    All of which is entirely valid. Hence why the ethics debate is such a spikey one. There is no right or wrong. It's all how you personally view it. As I say, the only thing you can guarantee is that someone will disagree with you.
  • That's it. As a subject it is as grey as grey can be.

edited August 2013
    I think a lot of it is because Bill Finnegan is a cantankerous old git that by his own admission, made a living from making someone elses design. Yes he helped but an engineer did the legwork and the clever stuff. Paul C on the other hand is a genuine and honest bloke. Couldn't be nicer to deal with and has always sold his stuff at the right price. Even when Klon were readily available from Bill you would still pay £300 for one.
    Going back to the beginning. £300 is perfectly reasonable. The case they came in alone cost a big chunk of that and went some way to justifying it. As a small maybe one or two man outfit, if you want to actually make some money out of it that's the sort of price you're gonna have to try and sell at. How Paul C makes any money at all out of the Timmy is beyond me as he sells it for so little. Which is another reason it doesn't get cloned. Why wouldn't you get the real thing? It'd still be good value at double the price!

Then after the Klon went out of production the first time and he started auctioning them off on ebay when he 'found' odd ones, then it became a little contentious.

However...

I can also understand him wanting to get a piece of the 'flipping' market. People were making shitloads out of them when they hadn't done any work at all. Now Bill could have met demand and nipped it in the bud. But he chose to let it run and we're in the daft situation we're in where people will pay amp prices for an OD... Which is stupid.

To this day I can't decide whether Bill is a marketing genius, the unluckiest man alive, or just a twat. It's a tough call. I guess we'll never know. But there is a fawning market out there for his effect. If only he'd actually build and sell it! Why he didn't sell the design to Roland or someone like that if he can't do it himself is beyond me.

The KTR thing, depending on what you read, looks to again have been his doing. So again it's out of production. In the meantime, the people Bill pissed off are meeting the demand he will not meet.

Is it wrong? Probably. Do I care? in this case, no, not really. The man is his own worst enemy.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 24852
    Totally agree with @juansolo. The Klon is complex by OD standards, but it's still just a bunch of resistors, caps and transistors in a box- it's not magic. The KTR being out of production is hilarious. Bill is clearly a clever marketing man, but I get the impression he doesn't know what else to do. Any other product he comes out with is likely to be met with cries of "not as good as a Klon", so he can't win. 

And the ridiculous prices created by his lack of supply (despite his protests that the hype isn't his fault) make it very easy to justify buying a Klone, relative to the decision to buy a Timmy clone, for instance. 
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • juansolo - Totally agree.  Well balanced and a hell of a lot of truth in there.
    edited August 2013
    ICBM said:
    Dave_Mc said:
    It did - and not even rehoused, just repainted. Any fool with the slightest knowledge of pedals should have been able to tell what it was.
    Yeah. I feel sorry for most of the people involved in that... "there but for the grace of God..." and all that.

That being said, there are some on TGP I don't feel sorry for- I remember about a year after that Freekish thing went down, it came up on TGP in a pedal argument and someone there swore blind the Freekish one had mojo while the Joyo didn't. He was being completely serious.

You couldn't make it up.

Not to take the thread off at a tangent (in my defence, juansolo made me think of it when he mentioned Bill Finnegan trying to get a slice of the hyped used market), but what also I find somewhat bemusing is how a lot of people who are totally anti-clone (because clones mean the originator doesn't get any money) have no problem whatsoever with buying "the real thing" second-hand.

How does that work? Last I checked if you buy something s/h, the original manufacturer gets no money at all.

Maybe they'd claim that the knowledge they could sell it on to someone else gave the original purchaser the shove they needed to buy the thing new (hence giving the original designer/manufacturer money), or maybe they'd claim that if people see the thing on their boards it gives the originator free advertising... but both of those are a stretch, if you ask me. Especially when they're so black and white about the cloning thing, to then have such a nuanced justification of their own purchasing philosophy is kinda hypocritical, if you ask me.

Just to clarify, I have no problem with people buying things second hand. I have no real problem with clones either, in most instances (as I pointed out already in an earlier post).
    With Bill trying to shut FSB, although I would have hated to see it, I can understand him being pissed - would you not be?  It's not a cure for cancer that he should be morally obliged to share. 
    I disagree entirely with that viewpoint. By that logic, the more important the invention/discovery you make, the less you deserve to benefit from it? That's messed up.

It seems to be a viewpoint which is quite prevalent currently- that the boffins can invent the important stuff for little or no reward (or taken further, teachers, nurses, doctors etc. should do it because it's a "calling"), while those doing the less important stuff can get on with making shitloads of money.

"What you're doing is too important to make money out of, you should be doing it out of the goodness of your heart. But what I'm doing, I should be free to make as much money as possible!"

Kinda convenient.

Don't get me wrong- I agree that if someone discovers a cure for cancer (or similar) that they better darn well share it pretty darn quickly. But by that same logic, to be logically consistent, that means any invention should be shared.
    edited August 2013
    Dave_Mc said:
    Not to take the thread off at a tangent (in my defence, juansolo made me think of it when he mentioned Bill Finnegan trying to get a slice of the hyped used market), but what also I find somewhat bemusing is how a lot of people who are totally anti-clone (because clones mean the originator doesn't get any money) have no problem whatsoever with buying "the real thing" second-hand. 

How does that work? Last I checked if you buy something s/h, the original manufacturer gets no money at all.
    Yes, I get where you're coming from there. I buy almost all my music secondhand, from which the artist also gets no money. But I still legally own the CD, so it's better than illegal downloading... or is it? Or therefore, is illegal downloading any worse?

Actually in my opinion it is better to own the CD, even if I bought it second hand - *someone* still bought that copy new, which is quite a lot different from someone buying one copy and then uploading it so thousands of people can get it for nothing.

My viewpiont on clones is that making a straight copy of something which is currently manufactured, for commercial profit, is wrong. But I agree, it's shades of grey - and I don't think that making a slightly modified clone - as long as it's "substantially different"* in some way - is wrong, providing you acknowledge the source and don't indulge in the sort of "we spent years R&D'ing this unique circuit" crap that so many boutique makers do.

*Substantially different - in the same way as copyright law applies to music or other art which is derived from an existing work. Cue a large team of lawyers and an infinite budget...

edited August 2013
    ICBM said:
    Dave_Mc said:

(a) Yes, I get where you're coming from there. I buy almost all my music secondhand, from which the artist also gets no money. But I still legally own the CD, so it's better than illegal downloading... or is it? Or therefore, is illegal downloading any worse?

Actually in my opinion it is better to own the CD, even if I bought it second hand - *someone* still bought that copy new, which is quite a lot different from someone buying one copy and then uploading it so thousands of people can get it for nothing.

(b) My viewpiont on clones is that making a straight copy of something which is currently manufactured, for commercial profit, is wrong. But I agree, it's shades of grey - and I don't think that making a slightly modified clone - as long as it's "substantially different"* in some way - is wrong, providing you acknowledge the source and don't indulge in the sort of "we spent years R&D'ing this unique circuit" crap that so many boutique makers do.

*Substantially different - in the same way as copyright law applies to music or other art which is derived from an existing work. Cue a large team of lawyers and an infinite budget...
    (a) I'd say it's a little better than illegally downloading because someone originally bought the real thing- granted, the same could be said for downloading, but until we have the technology to make digital copies of pedals for no money, it's not quite the same level of a problem, lol.

That being said, I'm not as anti-downloading as most people seem to be (or maybe that's just the media I'm reading and normal people don't care), though I don't illegally download either.

And you make a good point about the second-hand market supply being limited by the amount of things which have been bought new- if you don't have patience, you may end up having to go new. Though I'd say that, from a philosophical point of view, there's very little difference there logically, just it's the technology difference. The average person can copy a CD in a few minutes on their computer, whereas the same can't be said for most other consumer products (like a table, or a shirt, or a guitar, or whatever).

But really it's a whole big grey area, as you said/implied. That's why I don't like them bringing in sweeping laws (eg. about downloading) when, taken to their logical conclusion, they could make a bunch of other things illegal (or at least, being logically consistent, they should be) which we've taken for granted up till now should be legal.

Mainly I agree with the "This is my opinion on the matter, but I realise it's my opinion and you can have arguments against it that are perfectly valid" approach that several people in the thread have been saying.

(b) I'd agree, however, with the caveat "as long as the original company isn't taking the piss with the price they charge". Granted, that's a whole other grey area.

I'd also probably put in the caveat that as long as the cloner isn't really aiming at the original's target market, then it's ok, too. As I said, I'm not gonna tell some kid who can just about afford a joyo that what they really should ethically do is do without an overdrive pedal altogether.

You could probably also make a case that making something which already exists cheaper is, in itself, some form of original thought. For example, if a company comes up with a way to make an existing product way cheaper, that's arguably innovation, too.

Granted, if they rip off a PC design and make savings only because they had no R&D costs and they're paying slave labour rates in the third world, that probably doesn't involve quite so much innovation...
  • Dave_Mc said:
      randomhandclaps said:
    With Bill trying to shut FSB, although I would have hated to see it, I can understand him being pissed - would you not be?  It's not a cure for cancer that he should be morally obliged to share. 
    I disagree entirely with that viewpoint. By that logic, the more important the invention/discovery you make, the less you deserve to benefit from it? That's messed up.

It seems to be a viewpoint which is quite prevalent currently- that the boffins can invent the important stuff for little or no reward (or taken further, teachers, nurses, doctors etc. should do it because it's a "calling"), while those doing the less important stuff can get on with making shitloads of money.

"What you're doing is too important to make money out of, you should be doing it out of the goodness of your heart. But what I'm doing, I should be free to make as much money as possible!"

Kinda convenient.

Don't get me wrong- I agree that if someone discovers a cure for cancer (or similar) that they better darn well share it pretty darn quickly. But by that same logic, to be logically consistent, that means any invention should be shared.

Sorry Dave, I was not suggesting boffins shouldn't make money off important breakthroughs. Completely the opposite. 

I was actually making the point that FSB took the attitude that we should know what's going on in the and published the build for people with not an ounce of electronic understanding to replicate - whether rightly or wrongly.  The attitude that that Bill should either share his ideas for free or else he's a bad bloke in which case we should be able to take them anyway.

My only reference to the 'cure for cancer' argument is that if Bill had discovered a cure for cancer and was charging £4,000,000 a shot you could understand the 'Robin Hood' justification of pulling his ideas apart.  He was however selling an electronic item for £300 - there are plenty of others making money out of their ideas and at the end of the day it's a guitar pedal.  Sharing the idea will not change the world but will change Bill's and I could understand why he would be pissed.  I'm not saying I agree with him, and in many ways as Juan said I think he's his own worst enemy.

edited August 2013
    If I recall correctly when it was traced it was already out of production and 2nd hand ones were starting to get to silly prices. Also, the reason to take it apart was to see what it was and how it worked. Then if DIYers wanted to, they could build one for themselves. It was not to facilitate every man and his dog selling them.
  • It was already out of production, and there were certain builders - either in small runs or large scale making them.  Obviously it's not voodoo and anybody with a decent understanding of electronics who got beneath the goop would see what was going on.  I think the availability of schematics and layouts is fantastic for those who wish to learn and educate themselves, in the same way as tablature.  As a pedal or amp repairer it would be impossible to cope without them.

Personally I think FSB and Diystompboxes are both fantastic resources and communities that I both read and contribute to and would fight to keep them open.  It's great when people are out to learn, experiment and develop their own ideas.

If you take Brian Wampler as an example, it's common knowledge he started off modding and building clones as anyone would need capital to fund either their interest/hobby or start up a business and get their name known.  The publishing of schematics can have a positive effect for some builders, like Paul C, especially when you read short-sighted TGP mob etc sniping 'I opened up my Timmy and it's just a modified Tube Screamer'.  I also think it's helps real original thinkers and designers by exposing the re-inventing and overcharging of the wheel in the case of designs like the SHO or COT.  With these two particularly I think the builders get what they deserve as they are taking publically available circuits and claiming to have invented them.

Juansolo, on your Klone listing on EBay you even state where you can get the PCB.  It's very clear that I am purchasing your time, care and enclosure design from a relatively small output.  There is no point at which you are claiming it is anything other than what it is or making wholesale amounts of someone else's designs.  On top of this you website actively shares information and is another good resource.

Besides it though you have wholesale reproductions of Klons, making the very claims that you should be wary of amateur and hobbyists despite the fact that it is a copied circuit that would require no knowledge of circuit designs to construct.

It's those who have sat in the middle, slagging off hobbyist or small scale builders whilst ripping off designers that I have a real issue with.  It's like poisoning the well after you have drunk from it.  The original Timmys and Mad Professor pedal (just to name two) were built on perfboard or vero and hand finished.  In that way that could have been dismissed as amateurish but clearly aren't.  I don't really see a difference between this and large scale corporations trying to crush smaller outlets  who are actually trying to develop new concepts and designs with unfounded and ill-educated marketing or scare-mongering.

edited August 2013
    I actively encourage people to build their own effects and some commercial builders are cool with this as it's how they started out. 

When you start selling the odd pedal (as I do...) it starts getting contentious. Is it alright to sell a few pedals to fund your hobby building pedals for yourself? Probably not in all honesty. I have my own rules as to what I will and will not sell and how I do that. I'm not keen on selling on eBay to say the least, but it's a necessary evil for the Klones. Everything else I do is BTO, usually for friends. It doesn't make it right, but I sleep fine at night because I feel that I'm not taking the piss.

But we're talking about a field that is morally bankrupt already in a lot of respects. There commercial outfits out there wholesale ripping off other builders left right and centre. Danelectro, Freakish Blues, Lovepedal, Vemuram and Tone Monk to name a few of the high profile ones.

Which brings us back to the beginning regarding the plethora of commercial and hobbyist Klones out in the world; why is it ok for all those people to make a Klone yet when the above made a Timmy (amongst other things) we get up in arms about it. If the world was a fair place occupied by good people and no-one (including the original maker) took the piss, then it wouldn't be. Sadly it isn't

Which is of course just my view.