Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). I was playing along to the Black Crowes' "Hard to Handle" and this happened: - Technique Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

I was playing along to the Black Crowes' "Hard to Handle" and this happened:

What's Hot
BucketBucket Frets: 7749
edited December 2013 in Technique
https://soundcloud.com/connorf/hard-to-handle-solo

I was jamming over the solo at the end and came up with something I rather liked, so I found a backing track with no solo and recorded the fucker. It was done on my Jackson through GearBox (amp sim was a JCM800 with a Tube Screamer in front).

Includes a little sprinkling of my favourite new thing I've learned from the technique classes at ICMP - dominant 7th arpeggios. These can be slipped quite nicely into lots of minor pentatonic-based solos, where the major 3rd gives a pretty cool sound. Also has a slidey 5ths-based lick that I rather like, which starts off from the weird b5-based part in the actual solo. I tried to keep it relatively fitting to the song, hopefully it is.

The recording isn't perfect (it skips a teensy bit right near the end, for some reason I don't know) and some of the playing is a little messy in places, but I wanted to get it out there!
- "I'm going to write a very stiff letter. A VERY stiff letter. On cardboard."
0reaction image LOL 11reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter

Comments

• Have a wow for that. Nice.
    "Nobody needs more than 20 strats." Mike Landau
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • mike_lmike_l Frets: 5698
    Have a second. Awesomes playing fella.

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21) 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • I like the bit at 15 seconds, what is that? 

My mate is a drummer at ICMP.  He's was great before, but now he's fucking wicked, he's just taken another year there to add on to his degree.

I love diminished arpeggios, but I have a hard time finding the appropriate place to use them.  When you do though, they're awesome.
  • Also, that slidey 5ths based thing is really nice - Trivium use that idea quite a bit, but I've yet to master it.  Sounds cool, can turn an improvised solo into one that sounds more composed really easily.
  • BucketBucket Frets: 7749
    I like the bit at 15 seconds, what is that? 
    That's the dominant 7th arpeggio I mentioned above :)

Thanks for the kind words chaps!
  • GrunfeldGrunfeld Frets: 3950
    Hey that's really good.  Tips its hat to the original but it's different too.  Really like that -- which means I'll probably try to nick it lol! :)
  • Bucket said:
    I like the bit at 15 seconds, what is that? 
    That's the dominant 7th arpeggio I mentioned above :)

Thanks for the kind words chaps!
    Well, I need to learn some Dom7 arps then, because they sound cool.  Nice work.

Also, nice tone from Gearbox! I have a hard time getting mine to sound that good.
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17108
    tFB Trader
    Nice work Bucket. 

I like the way you mixed the original with some slick shreddy bits. 
  • johnnyurqjohnnyurq Frets: 1368
    Well played that man, sounding great.
  • KebabkidKebabkid Frets: 3178
    Top banana C!

You mixed it up well.
  • cruxiformcruxiform Frets: 2339
    Still faithful to the original with some nice embellishments. Top stuff.
  • John_PJohn_P Frets: 2725
    Very very nice playing!    I'll steal some of that for the next time I play HtH :)
    edited December 2013
    Thanks all!

I might upload a video of it at some point.
  • sinbaadisinbaadi Frets: 1252
    Awesome, nice and melodic but not predictable or bleh bleh bleh I don't know why I liked it but I did :)
  • Mmmmm, new stuff to steal!!
  • GrunfeldGrunfeld Frets: 3950
    Bucket said:
    Thanks all!

I might upload a video of it at some point.
    That would be most appreciated! :)
  • I love the solo from that track, you came up with a great version there. Nicely done :-)
    And they said that in our time, all that's good will fall from grace, even Saints would turn their face, in our time.
  • DougDoug Frets: 172
    edited December 2013
    as all the above, really well done ~ with attitude! nah get the video up! - please.
  • OilCityPickupsOilCityPickups Frets: 7616
    tFB Trader
    Bucket said:
    https://soundcloud.com/connorf/hard-to-handle-solo

I was jamming over the solo at the end and came up with something I rather liked, so I found a backing track with no solo and recorded the fucker. It was done on my Jackson through GearBox (amp sim was a JCM800 with a Tube Screamer in front).

Includes a little sprinkling of my favourite new thing I've learned from the technique classes at ICMP - dominant 7th arpeggios. These can be slipped quite nicely into lots of minor pentatonic-based solos, where the major 3rd gives a pretty cool sound. Also has a slidey 5ths-based lick that I rather like, which starts off from the weird b5-based part in the actual solo. I tried to keep it relatively fitting to the song, hopefully it is.

The recording isn't perfect (it skips a teensy bit right near the end, for some reason I don't know) and some of the playing is a little messy in places, but I wanted to get it out there!
    That's really tasteful playing Bucket old chap ... have a wow
    Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
    Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog

• samzadgansamzadgan Frets: 1470
    nice man.
  • matt1973matt1973 Frets: 385
    Dom7 arpeggio is really nice. Can you point me in the direction of some source learning material for that? I quite fancy incorporating it into my playing.
  • ...and it's a wow from me.  You're going to Vegas!

Oops.  Wrong thread.

Well done, it's a genuine wow.
    Thanks for all the nice comments and wows everyone, very happy you folks seem to like it.

It's kind of old news, but there's a video now as well...

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter