Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). Another NSD! - Other Instruments Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

Another NSD!

What's Hot
I couldn't resist, having played with one in the shop for 15 minutes yesterday and being impressed with it:

I did some electronic music with a friend a few years ago - he did stuff in Fruity Loops on an old laptop, sent me the midi files and I imported them into Logic. They always defaulted to a standard drumkit, so I had to separate out the tracks, work out which part was the bassline, which was the lead melody bit etc and assign them to a variety of Logic softsynths. Of course I got many wrong and the songs ended up sounding quite different by the time I'd reassembled them. Quite a cool way of working actually. We ended up releasing a 7" single on orange vinyl, despite not owning a keyboard between us! So hopefully, I can experiment a bit more with this thing. It's very powerful for something relatively inexpensive.
0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter

Comments

• Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 7202
    Cool man, time to jam to Little Dragon
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • the demos of that are awesome. I feel a purchase coming on :-S
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • thermionicthermionic Frets: 8909
    My impressions after a few days:

- It comes across as a kind of "256 presets with tweaking" kind of thing in the demos. However, it's extremely powerful once you get to know it. It's a synthesiser in the true sense of the word - you can create your own sounds from the ground up.

- It works really well with Logic, just plug it in via USB and I can use it to play the excellent softsynths and EX24 sampler. Takes no setting up apart from downloading drivers. It also appears as an AU instrument, so I'm creating sounds like I'd been doing before but using the MinoNova's engine in Logic. Oscillators, ADSR envelopes, filters etc. Then send the sound to one of the user banks to store.

- I'm not a keyboard player and I have small hands so I didn't think the tiny keyboard would bother me. I would prefer full-sized keys.

Also came with a BassStation AU plugin and Ableton Live Lite, plus some Moroder-branded sounds - lots of stuff to play with, for little more than the price of a Squier Standard Strat.
  • I've seen them online at £240 from scan computers or £260 from juno with a carry bag. 

I will shift some pedals and get one I think. The vocoder looks pretty sweet as well. 
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
  • @thermionic

im not happy with you... Ultranova is on the way
    and a drum machine :-S

not your fault at all but someone has to take the blame
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • I lied as well. I didnt get the Ultranova, something else caught my ear 
  • StrangefanStrangefan Frets: 5820
    edited February 2016
    Great purchase, we use two live, and they are amazing,.

This is a track I'm in the middle of producing and the mininova (and bassstation) is the mininova of choice for my synth needs :

Listen to Cows by Harry Sequin's Play time. #np on #SoundCloud