Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). We buy any car dot com - Off Topic Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

We buy any car dot com

What's Hot
TTonyTTony Frets: 26143
Just wondering whether anybody has used them?

I did a valuation a few weeks back - which came in at £500 more than the local Audi dealer had offered me as trade-in, but I decided against selling anyway.

They've just emailed me to say that "demand has risen" so the car is now worth an extra £200.

So, any actual experience of using them?
Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter

Comments

• dindudedindude Frets: 8409
    I will be selling mine in the next few months and have had a look here. I also had the same "value has risen" email after a few weeks, I think it is standard to keep interest. Not a bad valuation I had for my car but I did a bit of googling and their reputation is pretty terrible. The accounts say they get you to the local place to do the deal then the rep picks holes in the car and offers something way lower that original hoping that you are desperate and have a new car to pick up the next day and so your insurance is running out etc etc. word is they are commision based on how much they can get off the original quote. I made up my mind that I wouldn't touch them with yours.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 26143
    I'd expected a fair bit of "discussing" the value, had I actually gone to visit them.

I did the valuation more to see what the value might be, and to confirm my feeling that the local Audi dealer hadn't improved any.  Attempted-thieving b'stards.
  • dindudedindude Frets: 8409
    Too true, it's a minefield isn't it, as is buying another car, for no other purchase (even a house) do you have to have your wits about you so much. I hate it.
  • chillidoggychillidoggy Frets: 17130
    They're breaking the law. They don't "buy any car". Mine was an ex hertz rental, but sold to me brought the main Ford dealer. We Buy Any Car won't touch it with a barge pole. Trades descriptions?

• SporkySporky Frets: 23802
    You could try the ASA. Except that they're shit.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • not_the_djnot_the_dj Frets: 7306
    As I understand it no one gets the actual price they quote online.
  • Apparently you never get what they actually offer you as a quote, there is always some bullshit reason that they give you for giving you a lower offer. Usually by about £200 or so
    Old Is Gold
  • PolarityManPolarityMan Frets: 7159
    Would be a bummer for me then as they reckon mine is only worth £370.
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 11742
    As above. I had my old car valued by them and it was a reasonable offer. Then I saw various online criticisms of them reducing the offer when you get there. They also state in tiny print in their ads that they may charge a £75 admin fee, but I never could get to the bottom of what those circumstances might be. Avoid IMO, Autotrader or Pistonheads is probably a better option

I've actually just sold my last car by sticking some pictures and a brief description on Facebook and asking if anyone was interested. I was lucky and got a sale to a mate's cousin almost instantly. I got £800 more than the dealer would have offered in part- ex too, so am pretty happy.
  • scrumhalfscrumhalf Frets: 10838
    They're breaking the law. They don't "buy any car". Mine was an ex hertz rental, but sold to me brought the main Ford dealer. We Buy Any Car won't touch it with a barge pole. Trades descriptions?
    That's an "inviatiton to treat" rather than anyting else, a mere advertising puff.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 69426
    edited August 2013
    If anyone thinks they're going to get the market value of a car by selling it to a company which makes a profit by buying and reselling cars, they need to think a bit harder about the logic behind that :).

I suppose if you really can't be bothered to sell it privately (which I understand) and don't like the dealer trade-in price (ditto), and you know in advance that they will give you less than they said in the first place, and have a 'figure in mind' which is less than the initial offer... then it might be worth doing it.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

• monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17108
    tFB Trader
    Probably don't need to add anything, but I've heard lots of horror stories about them getting right to the end of the process and then trying to drop the price on you.
  • OilCityPickupsOilCityPickups Frets: 7616
    tFB Trader
    Sold ... and bought ... my last three cars on e bay. Did very well ... I don't think I'd ever go to a company like that.
    Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
    Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog

ICBM said:
    I suppose if you really can't be bothered to sell it privately (which I understand) and don't like the dealer trade-in price (ditto), and you know in advance that they will give you less than they said in the first place, and have a 'figure in mind' which is less than the initial offer... then it might be worth doing it.

I fully understand that they're in it to make a profit.  Out of me.

I did the quote thing to give me something against which to compare the p/ex offer from the dealer - which I thought was low.  I was expecting the dealer offer to be about £1500 higher, maybe even £2k, as it was to be p/ex against a fully-priced ex-demo.  WBAC.com suggested £500 higher than the dealer, and it's now £700 higher.  Before they'd try to start chipping away at it.

*IF* I was still thinking about changing cars, I'd be tempted by WBAC, get (a little less) cash in my pocket from them and then drive a tougher cash-only deal with the dealer.  In this situation, I'd probably come out evens, maybe a little ahead.

I did change my username to "NoTTony" on TEmp Fab's place, but have now gone back to the original username.  I'll just the keep the car!

You should, it's a future classic and will probably go up in value in the long term. My sister's boyfriend has one too... it's very cool, even if it does limit his choice of bass amp :).

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

ICBM said:
    You should, it's a future classic and will probably go up in value in the long term. My sister's boyfriend has one too... it's very cool, even if it does limit his choice of bass amp :).

Not a *huge* boot, it has to be said.

Mine is the Mk2, 3.2 S-Tronic.  Puts a huge grin on my face whenever I drive it.  :D

• Emp_FabEmp_Fab Frets: 23224
    Don't touch them with a bargepole.  As monquixote says, horror stories abound of them giving you the bullshit to knock you down at the last minute.

They have to get their money somewhere - and they're not going to get it by selling on overpriced second hand cars, so they get it from buying in underpriced ones.

As their advert goes "We buy any car dot com.... we buy any car dot com... from fifty quid to a hundred grand - but mostly fifty quid, dot com."  Or it would do if I'd written it.
    Humans are destructive parasites that will destroy the celestial oasis of Earth.  The sooner Homo Sapiens are extinct, the better.
  • chillidoggychillidoggy Frets: 17130

Ok, so they've got all these used cars, presumably there's a sister-company called "We Sell Any Car .Com"?

I mean, they have to shift them somehow.

I assumed they auctioned them, or possibly sold them overseas. Either way they'll probably want to get rid of them in a way that avoids having to guarantee them. There's no other way they can offer more than the dealers, who do have to do that.

• SporkySporky Frets: 23802
    TTony said:

Not a *huge* boot, it has to be said.

Mine is the Mk2, 3.2 S-Tronic.  Puts a huge grin on my face whenever I drive it.  :D

As I recall, it makes a very good noise.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    Sporky said;
    As I recall, it makes a very good noise.
    You recall well.

In 6 years, I've done 15k miles in it.  Which is not a lot.  Hence thinking of selling it (and the rather higher mileage A6) and downsizing the car fleet by 1.

• ICBM said:
    I assumed they auctioned them, or possibly sold them overseas.
    I'd have thought the overseas market was limited for RHD cars?

They make their money by buying cheap. 90% of cars go to auction, the best stuff to used car supermarkets.