Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). Prog music - Theory Discussions on The Fretboard

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

Prog music

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• BasherBasher Frets: 1071
    Clarky said:

rather than a specific 'sound' or 'style' I personally think of prog as being a compositional approach..

essentially, just do what you think is right without consideration for what is accepted as "normal"

so go where the music takes you, from the minimalist, the weird, fragile and wonderful, to the angsty, the massive, the insane and the pompous symphonic

prog = just go for it and do not give a sht what people think

That's as good a definition as I've read.

I had kind of settled as "not obviously commercially motivated" as my own guideline but it doesn't really make much sense when you realise how many LPs and concert tickets ELP, Yes, Genesis etc. sold.

There is a weekly prog show on our local internet radio station (oxymoron?) where tracks are played and the listening public (usually myself and two other people) discuss their proggishness. I tend to be in the "wider church of prog" camp and consider Radiohead, XTC and the like as being as proggy as anything else. Others seem to see prog as a definite set of sounds and approaches (long, complex time signatures, must have mellotron in it etc.) and I suppose they're entitled to their opinion.

I don't suppose it matters really, other than to illustrate the obvious pointlessness of such labels. Even my beloved XTC could be described as punky, new-wavey, proggy, folky and power-poppy, often all on the same album. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Basher said:
    Clarky said:

rather than a specific 'sound' or 'style' I personally think of prog as being a compositional approach..

I tend to be in the "wider church of prog" camp and consider Radiohead, XTC and the like as being as proggy as anything else. Others seem to see prog as a definite set of sounds and approaches (long, complex time signatures, must have mellotron in it etc.) and I suppose they're entitled to their opinion.

Yup, opinions are all over the map.  Based on the "complex song structure" approach it could be argued that Black Sabbath and Deep Purple fit in, but they both sound like heavy rock most of the time.  And along with XTC and Radiohead, you could drag Coldplay and several other pop acts in.  I like to think that a band or artist doesn't have to actually be a prog act to make a prog song here and there, David Bowie comes to mind.  Then there's Sigur Ros, often labeled as prog because they sound so different than almost anybody, but if you analyse most of their music you find that the song structures aren't very complicated and you don't often hear anything faster than sixteenth notes, or solos in general.  I love these threads, I've probably participated in hundreds of them but what I've noticed in the last 10 years or so is there is less of the "Genesis is all there is" attitude.  I absolutely love Genesis but was taken aback several times by the hero worship some people have postulated, sometimes resulting in angry flame sessions and people being blacklisted! 

“Theory is something that is written down after the music has been made so we can explain it to others”– Levi Clay

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • ClarkyClarky Frets: 3260

I agree... it's totally possible for bands that are not really prog in general to create a piece that has something proggy going on..

or even for a song that's mostly conventional to have a proggy moment within it

Don't Fear the Reaper is a great example..

the really odd thing is that I couldn't describe what to listen out for that makes something proggy or not.. but when I hear it I know..

maybe it's that 'out there' vibe.. like it sits outside of conventional forms...

so maybe prog is the catch all term for music that don't fit neatly anywhere else..

so it's a big bucket that catches the odd bands out

play every note as if it were your first
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17108
    tFB Trader
    Though I accept that a lot of prog is pretentious wank if you think it can't contain any balls, or emotion then 
    you should listen to these two:

• frankusfrankus Frets: 4719
    I'm somewhat of an expert in Prog.

First off Prog was physically impossible until 1910 - that's a scientific fact.

Secondly the closest relative to Prog, melodically and harmonically is the double bass solo.

Thirdly the question "is it prog" is rarely answered directly, Zen/prog masters prefer to answer the question with another question...

"is it prog?"
    "have you looked at your watch yet?"
    "yes"
    "then it is prog"

A sig-nat-eur? What am I meant to use this for ffs?! Is this thing recording?
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • DeadmanDeadman Frets: 3663
    I saw Mars Volta support the Red Hot Chili Peppers. They were the better band on the night. Most far out guitar I've ever heard. Phenomenal band.
    I play at my dining room table.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • beed84beed84 Frets: 2295
    Prog to me is a variety of coalescing genres, harmonies, timings and melodies, resulting in a form of music that defies the expectations of the listener thus providing a boundless musical journey.
  • For me, prog is about taking influences and having them 'inform' the creative process in a way which allows the music to transcend category, and break new ground. If it can be categorised, then it's not progressive. 
    Teacher, musician, corporate trainer, researcher, freelance human being, cultural explorer, self-styled 'progressive thinker', and generally an enthusiastic, peaceful idealist. Run the Contemporary Guitar Performance Workshop education project and the Audio Design Workshop studio. Online guitar and piano/keyboard lessons available over Zoom/Skype. 
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 27656
    As it happens, a friend just posted this on the other FB(FaceBook) a little while ago.  A lot of bands I have never heard of but overall a pretty good run down, although I question Genesis coming in a number 18.
    Worst prog list ever!