Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). The Cult - what are they like live these days? - Music Discussions on The Fretboard

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

The Cult - what are they like live these days?

What's Hot
not_the_djnot_the_dj Frets: 7306
I'm just a casual fan, (last saw them on the Ceremony tour in the early 90s).....but I'm tempted to see them in Birmingham next year.

Anyone seen them more recently than that...and how was it?

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter

Comments

• MossMoss Frets: 2409
    Their shows are usually over 3 hours long...

Make of that what you will...
    Stop crying, start buying
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Where are they playing in Brum? I saw them a couple of times late 80s (I think).
    I’ll handle this Violet, you take your three hour break. 
  • Where are they playing in Brum? I saw them a couple of times late 80s (I think).
    O2 Institute....(Digbeth). 1st March 2015.

• Never been in the big room there but upstairs seemed alright. Not sure who I could drag along to that though :-?
    I’ll handle this Violet, you take your three hour break. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • vizviz Frets: 10211
    edited May 2023
    Saw them last year at Cambridge - they were awesome. I LOVE the Cult. They didn't do anything off Southern Death Cult or Dreamtime eras though, unfortunately. 
    Paul_C said: People never read the signature bit.
  • EricTheWeary;898030" said:
    Never been in the big room there but upstairs seemed alright. Not sure who I could drag along to that though :-?
    I saw Rival Sons there a couple of tours back, they've done it out. It's a great room for a gig like that... a bit bigger than the Robin but with a balcony too.

The singer in our band is a big fan so I might try to convince hime to go...

"A city star won’t shine too far"

• So-so. Loud... 
    Music the great communicator, use two sticks to make it in the nature - a music reviews blog: http://usetwosticks.wordpress.com/
  • The Cult were fantastic both times that I saw them. Billy Duffy rocks! Going to the UEA show for sure. \m/
    Link to my trading feedback
  • I expect Ian Astbury is just as incoherent now as he was in 1985 ;)

That said, I'd still go and see them.
  • JamesAshworthJamesAshworth Frets: 39
    edited December 2015

I've probably got a soft spot for them, as my first gig was seeing them as a 13 year old in 1985 and have seen them about 10 times since over the years.

The video posted is a recent gig, pretty fair reflection of what you'll get, Ian's voice not what it was, forgets the odd lyric, talks a bit of nonsense but is sincere with it, BIlly just rocks and if you like straight ahead loud rock then you'l enjoy it !

Pretty cool Black "White Falcon too !
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • rsvmarkrsvmark Frets: 1324
    Billy Duffy eh? Get him. How he does it I really don't know..... I mean I always use my right foot to operate a wah wah
  • GrunfeldGrunfeld Frets: 3950
    Pretty cool Black "White Falcon too !
    That guitar looks brilliant! 

• Billy Duffy. Every guitarist should get to see him at least once. Legend.
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7208
    Billy wants to tie his boots up or he will fall over...
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>

I think they have a new album out too.
  • OffsetOffset Frets: 9212
    I saw them waaaaaay back when - late '80s I guess.  I was really in to them and they were great.  However... I saw them more recently ('Noughties?) and they were... OK.  The one thing I do seem to recall is that IA swore every other word and despite being a fairly foul-mouthed git myself, it really ground my beans.  I'm not sure I'd bother a third time.
  • JfingersJfingers Frets: 283
    Came here to criticise Ian Astbury, but I loved that video above.

I bought the first Southern Death Cult single when it came out (Other stories around their first London gig are available)

His American accent grated but wiki says he's from Canada until age 11, I always thought he was from Bradford.
    He's an excellent frontman and did a decent job of Jim Morrison. Billy is ace. Arena gigs aren't my thing though.

• hollywoodroxhollywoodrox Frets: 3605
    viz said:
    Saw them last year at Cambridge - they were awesome. I LOVE the Cult. Didn't do anything off Southern Death Cult or Dreamtime eras though, unfortunately. 
    Don’t they usually do Spiritwalker ?
  • hollywoodroxhollywoodrox Frets: 3605
    From what I’ve seen on YouTube they’re still bloody awesome ,long time fan from 85
  • GrumpyrockerGrumpyrocker Frets: 3884
    This has got me going back over old videos. Man Billy was cool as fuck in those late 80s vids with the long hair and Les Paul. The sort of rock star I wanted to be back then. And he's from the best city too!

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • robinbowesrobinbowes Frets: 2922
    It's funny - I went off the Cult when they became... The Cult!

Actually, that's not true - I loved SDC, and Death Cult, most of which was recycled on Dreamtime, but was luke warm over Love. Electric re-ignited my interest, but Sonic Temple left me cold.

I never really found my way back.
  • stonevibestonevibe Frets: 6677
    Last time I saw them was in Brizzle

https://www.instagram.com/p/B4aYAejHnaK/
    You can now read my guitar ramblings here http://www.gearnews.com and here https://guitarbomb.com 

• fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 22257
    Which of the 2 live albums is worth having?

I never really listened to them but the love for Duffy makes me want to give it a go.
  • digitalkettledigitalkettle Frets: 2587

I never really listened to them but the love for Duffy makes me want to give it a go.
    I'd have to go with 'Live Cult' as you get a lot of their masterpiece 'Love' and a few great tracks from albums either side of that.

After 'Love', I think they start to lose their uniqueness by giving in to the pull of 'being a rock band' ;-/
  •  
    I saw them at Rock City during the Sonic Temple Anniversary Tour. It was a great night out, they played songs from Dreamtime and Love as well.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • The new album is not bad.

I quite enjoy it. Particularly the first single, Give Me Mercy. 
  • vizviz Frets: 10211
    edited May 2023
    viz said:
    Saw them last year at Cambridge - they were awesome. I LOVE the Cult. Didn't do anything off Southern Death Cult or Dreamtime eras though, unfortunately. 
    Don’t they usually do Spiritwalker ?

Hm, I definitely can’t remember now (I don’t even remember this thread ) but I guess at the time I was under the impression that they hadn’t; Spiritwalker is my 2nd fave song too. But I’m so unreliable that you know maybe they did! 

The one from the Lyceum that came as a bundle with Dreamtime is bloody ace. There’s also a VHS of it. It kicks off with my 1st fave song, 83rd Dream. So atmospheric. Nice to see IT consultant Jamie Stewart playing too. 

Paul_C said: People never read the signature bit.