Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). Just broke up a fight!!! - Off Topic Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

Just broke up a fight!!!

What's Hot
And it's only 1100hrs

Dorchester is a pretty sleepy town and we have a beautiful Victorian gardens in the centre of town where I take the kids a lot

So sat round the bandstand with coffee and ice cream for the boy, when this guy starts on at the guy who was sat on the bench next to me. The usual low level grumblings about "you were cracking on to my missis yesterday" stuff. Then the language got a bit naughty in front of kids so I asked if they could take it some place else and sort it out.

Next thing he's on the other giving him a solid drubbing. All like 5' away from my kids. Instead of walking away I grabbed the bloke off the top and yelled at him about being a prat and right in front of my kids. Just as I though he was gonna lamp me, he just shrugge his shoulders apologised profusely and walked of crying!!!!! The other guy thanked me for helping and legged it!!

Brilliant. My boy thinks I'm some sort of action hero now
0reaction image LOL 7reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter

Comments

• FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24595
    Cool .. were your underpants on the outside .... :-)

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • No - but they sure as hell are now.

Gonna go see if I can climb buildings or fly now
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • mike_lmike_l Frets: 5698

Getting mouthy in front of kids is bad enough..

Getting naughty in front of kids is out-of-order..

Props on being brave/stupid enough to break it up though fella. I know plenty of "hardmen" who'd have walked away......

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21) 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • If I'd not had the kids I'd have just walked off

Funny ain't it
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Yeah.

That worked out rather well.

Well done for showing your kids some proper behaviour.

Just make sure you tell them always to walk away and never get involved in other people's problems when thy grow up.

Things could've ended up rather worse than they did.
  • No I agree - could have got stabbed shot or anything, but I had the same red mist as when I caught 2 cnuts in my house walking out with my telly. I chased those fuckers for 1/2 a mile.

I think I just felt so angry these two twats had decided to have it out right next to my kids
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17108
    tFB Trader
    Good on you. 

I have the same slightly dangerous habit of getting involved. It hasn't got be stabbed so far, but I know it's not the most sensible thing to do.
  • chillidoggychillidoggy Frets: 17130
    Any chance you can come round next time I fancy a walk into town?

• Another Dorchester forumite!
    Never seen any trouble like that in Borough Gardens before. Though did once have to tell a bunch of young teenagers to get off the little kids playground equipment because my two year old (four now) wanted to use it. They were doing the typical teen thing of trying to put the swings over the top, going round the roundabout like a spin cycle.
    Actually I'm a Manc. But lived in Charlton Down (just north of Dorchester) from early 2009 until last spring. We've moved further west now near Beaminster. We do still often pop over to Dorchester though.

• bertiebertie Frets: 12145
    I used to sort out the computers at West Dorset DC, back in the 80s.............and the tax office
    just because you don't, doesn't mean you can't
     just because you do, doesn't mean you should.
  • BellycasterBellycaster Frets: 5750

Blimey, you showed some Balls there, Travis.

How old were the Morons? It would be more shameful behaviour if they were fully grown men rather than late teens.

Regardless, anyone anywhere near adult age should have enough decency to keep it away from kids seeing it.

Well done.

And they said that in our time, all that's good will fall from grace, even Saints would turn their face, in our time.
  • Emp_FabEmp_Fab Frets: 23224
    I stayed at the Kings Arms on High St once.  Bloody noisy oiks giving the poor chap running the takeaway place opposite grief for being 'an immigrant'.  I installed the new systems in the big health centre when it was first built.
    Humans are destructive parasites that will destroy the celestial oasis of Earth.  The sooner Homo Sapiens are extinct, the better.
  • Aw! Feeling the love for Dorchester then!

By the big health centre Emp, I assume you mean Dorset County Hospital!! And yeah Vampire Kebabs is still run by a lovely bunch of Turks.

@Grumpyrocker - thought I was the only Dorset forumite! Do you ever make it into town or do you hang out with the arty lot in Bridders?

• HeartfeltdawnHeartfeltdawn Frets: 21788
    Audley Harrison wants to know if you're up for a fight in the near future. 

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Nah - well not unless he starts gobbing off near my kids.

Then ill kick his sorry ass :-j
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • @Grumpyrocker - thought I was the only Dorset forumite! Do you ever make it into town or do you hang out with the arty lot in Bridders?

Ha. I've three small kids and a wife who is a full-time vicar - I can just about manage  a walk to the pub in our village occasionally.

• thumpingrugthumpingrug Frets: 2803
    I'm in Poole if that counts.

apologised profusely and walked of crying!!!!! 
    you bully...........

:))
  • blueskunkblueskunk Frets: 2781
    Well done dude :)
  • digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 25239
    edited August 2013
    Good on you. 

I have the same slightly dangerous habit of getting involved. It hasn't got be stabbed so far, but I know it's not the most sensible thing to do.
    Me too...the wife's always worried about it. We live next to a block of shops, one of which is a takeaway...there's trouble there at least one night a week. When there isn't trouble, there's usually a bunch of kids shouting and screaming at 11pm Thurs/Fri/Sat, so I usually go out there and have a quiet word.

It annoys me that so many people are so scared of strangers that they won't even go and politely ask people to tone it down a bit. Every time so far (we've been here about 9 years), I've just asked them nicely to lower their voices or move on, and they've just replied with an apology and a promise to be quiet. No trouble thus far.

Well, apart from when I saw a guy trying to put the hard sell on a bunch of schoolkids to buy drugs and threatening violence if they didn't. Called 999, they said, "Don't approach them, and we'll send someone to get a statement." I told them I was going to go and sort it out and it'd probably get violent, and three police cars turned up just as I was pulling said dealer off one of the kids.

I'll be honest, my wife wasn't especially happy at that particular incident.
    <space for hire>
  • Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22443
    I'm torn on this. I get why you did it, but when you say "the usual grumblings" it kind of sounds like you're not even cared about why it kicked off in the first place. Maybe the guy did actually fuck his girlfriend or something... if that were the case, I'd find it hard to deny the guy some sort of vengeance - if he walked off crying, it was obviously an emotional thing for him.

Typically I wouldn't get involved in something like that. Not because of fear, but because it's none of my business and I wouldn't have all the facts to hand. No, you can't always wait until you've got the facts, but this wasn't a mugging or a robbery you thwarted. It was a bit of a punch up in a park over a girl.

Cue the "they made it his business by doing it in front of his precious little kiddly-winks" crappy mobbish justifications....
  • digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 25239
    edited August 2013
    Drew_fx said:
    I'm torn on this. I get why you did it, but when you say "the usual grumblings" it kind of sounds like you're not even cared about why it kicked off in the first place. Maybe the guy did actually fuck his girlfriend or something... if that were the case, I'd find it hard to deny the guy some sort of vengeance - if he walked off crying, it was obviously an emotional thing for him.

Typically I wouldn't get involved in something like that. Not because of fear, but because it's none of my business and I wouldn't have all the facts to hand. No, you can't always wait until you've got the facts, but this wasn't a mugging or a robbery you thwarted. It was a bit of a punch up in a park over a girl.

Cue the "they made it his business by doing it in front of his precious little kiddly-winks" crappy mobbish justifications....
    It doesn't really matter why IMO - a fight like that could quite easily spill over and end up with some of the kids running round the place getting hurt by the two guys in question (I've seen this happen from afar myself).

The simple fact that the guy apologised profusely and walked off all emotional suggests that he'd just seen the other one, come over in a red mist and everything around him disappeared in the tunnel vision; instead of thinking of it as somebody else unfairly getting involved, it seems to me that it acted more as a reminder of where he was...one which clearly worked otherwise it's reasonably likely @Travisthedog would've been posting this from a hospital bed ;) 

I dare say there's still a pasting waiting for the other guy, but it'll probably happen in a more appropriate context...
    <space for hire>
  • holnrewholnrew Frets: 8201
    I saw a massive brawl in the streets of Bridport once.
    My V key is broken
  • Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22443
    Aye, like the pub with lots of glass around! :D

To your point, I think a responsible parent should be walking away with their kids; thus preventing any sort of spill over our collateral damage. Getting involved was needless and risky, and in some contexts can result in your kids being even more fucked up when they have to go to their fathers funeral and then grow up with out him.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • thumpingrug;8014" said:
    I'm in Poole if that counts.
    Ooo Dorset massive ahoy

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • bertie;8064" said:
    Travisthedog said:

apologised profusely and walked of crying!!!!! 

you bully...........

:))
    God yeah. When you look at it like that.

I'm no better than them
  • chillidoggychillidoggy Frets: 17130
    Give 'em hell, big Jon!

• blueskunkblueskunk Frets: 2781
    Yeah thats me drew, local wanksters around where i live who act "hard" or over agressive around my nippers get told quick time to disapear.
    Always iritates me when im in a park and got loutish kids swearing ad spitttig etc - again as soon as they get too yobish in front of me or the wee ones - they get told to move it along!!
  • DeadmanDeadman Frets: 3663
    Well done Travis. I never walk walk past people in need either, sadly too many do.
    I play at my dining room table.
    holnrew said:
    I saw a massive brawl in the streets of Bridport once.
    brawn,  that was BRAWN  Russ,  came from Hugh F-W's  place