Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). The Beatles Drumming - Other Instruments Discussions on The Fretboard

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

The Beatles Drumming

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• joeyowen said:
    sticker said:
    Great drumming , wrong kit , wrong sounds spoil it for me.
    I thought that was the point.

Playing it on a modern sounding kit to prove that it can sound good (not that it was bad)

Sounds reasonable. It does make the uptempo tunes sound really powerful. I don't think I'd want it overdubbed on to the original songs or anything, but it certainly makes the point.

Don't talk politics and don't throw stones. Your royal highnesses.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 69426
    Can you also spot - without checking which they are if you don't know already ;) - the two songs on which Paul played drums?

Despite the shortness of the sections I think you *can* just tell - the timing is absolutely straight and lacks Ringo's characteristic swing - although knowing which they are obviously makes it much easier.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • JezWynd said:
    RIngo is a much, much better drummer than people ever give him credit for. The definition of playing for the song. Always love the drums to come togehter.
    Absolutely. He's a very tasteful player, never flash, always serving the material.
    Listen to 'Ticket To Ride'... incredible,creative drumming way ahead of its time.
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30022
    Just been listening to Abbey Road and Ringo certainly puts in a good performance on that. Don't know if Paul did any of the drums on it though.
  • Ringo had great 'feel' in his drumming and always came up with great parts. Don't forget that up until 1965, George and Ringo only had an hour or so to come up with their parts before they were recorded. I think the freshness of the songs shows through on those albums.

• And George was always very complimentary about Ringo's sound, too, and the way he always used to play ever so slightly 'off' the beat, but never out of rhythm.

As for the crack about not even being the best drummer in The Beatles, John evidently did say in an interview in the 70s "Ringo's a damn good drummer. He was always a good drummer. He's not technically good, but he's under-rated in the same way that Paul's bass playing was under-rated."

Phil Collins (who's no slouch behind the kit himself - if only he'd stay there) said in a documentary about Sgt Pepper - "I think he's vastly underrated. The drum fills on 'A Day in the Life' are very complex things. You could take a great drummer today and say I want you to do that and they wouldn't know where to start."
    If you must have sex with a frog, wear a condom. If you want the frog to have fun, rib it.