Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). Albums you really ought to like but don't - Music Discussions on The Fretboard

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

Albums you really ought to like but don't

What's Hot
HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 9107
edited November 2013 in Music
If that makes sense... For instance I'm a huge David Gilmour fan and own just about all the Pink Floyd albums as well as his solo output but no matter how much I try I just can not get to like (let alone love) On An Island. 

On the classical side, I enjoy Beethoven and I enjoy choral music so really ought to like Missa Solemnis but the truth is I find it pretty unlistenable.
I play guitar because I enjoy it rather than because I’m any good at it
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter

Comments

• dogloaddogload Frets: 1495
    edited November 2013
    Most of Bob Dylan's albums- especially after 'Desire'.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • FazerFazer Frets: 466
    everything by rush after power windows
  • Anything by The Who apart from "Who's Next".

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6284
    Miles Davis' Bitches Brew - I'm sorry, but to me it's drug addled, atonal, noodling.
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • JAYJOJAYJO Frets: 1470
    John Martyn    Inside Out. every now and then i give it a try with the same outcome. Cant put up with it but i keep trying.
  • gusman2xgusman2x Frets: 897

Just about any Hendrix album, Led Zep, Deep Purple, etc

As an aside though, I really didn't like the two main Queens of the Stone Age albums, but after listenening to them quite recently, it's dawned on me how amazing they are. And what an absolute genius Josh Homme is
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Jalapeno said:
    Miles Davis' Bitches Brew - I'm sorry, but to me it's drug addled, atonal, noodling.

I have the shiny metal box with all the sessions which I picked up working in a record store.  As much as I like Miles Davis I have to agree that there is a fine line between brilliance and drug addled and 15 years after buying it I'm still not sure where I feel it sits.
    My muse is not a horse and art is not a race.
  • Queensryche's new album, and Alter Bridge's.

Although it's not so much the music as the audio quality. Ridiculously hot mastering just makes it impossible for me to listen for more than a couple of minutes at a time.
    <space for hire>
  • mike_lmike_l Frets: 5698

Queensryche American soldier. Wish I hadn't spent cash on it.

Same with Metallica's Load/Reload/St Anger.

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21) 

• IanSavageIanSavage Frets: 1319
    Strangely aptly, any of The Velvet Underground's stuff. I [i]get[/i] how influential they were and everything else, I just can't stand listening to them.
  • Not an album but an Artist: Muse.

sounds like a load of 'Terry try-hards' to me

Ed Conway & The Unlawful Men - Alt Prog Folk: The FaceBook and The SoundCloud

'Rope Or A Ladder', 'Don't Sing Love Songs', and 'Poke The Frog'  albums available now - see FaceBook page for details

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • dogloaddogload Frets: 1495

Not an album but an Artist: Muse.

sounds like a load of 'Terry try-hards' to me

Oooo! Controversial, but I find myself agreeing.
  • DeadmanDeadman Frets: 3663
    Col_Decker;76426" said:
    Not an album but an Artist: Muse. sounds like a load of 'Terry try-hards' to me
    I put them in the same category as coldplay, in that when I hear them I turn them off.
    I also can't understand The Rolling Stones or T Rex. Both are like drinking a luke warm glass of flat orange on a raging hot summer day.

I play at my dining room table.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 69426
    If it's just albums rather than entire artists' catalogues…

Beth Orton - Central Reservation. I like most of her stuff, but that album is just grating, with the exception of the single Stolen Car which is brilliant. Central Reservation was the first album I bought (on the strength of the single) and it took me a long time to discover that I did like the rest of her stuff.

Similarly the Waterboys' Dream Harder - apart from the single Glastonbury Song, which I like - is utter wankery, and I like almost all the earlier albums.

Neil Young's Landing On Water and Greendale. I'm a big Neil Young fan, but those are dreadful albums - far worse than some of his other controversial ones like Trans.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

• not_the_djnot_the_dj Frets: 7306
    edited November 2013
    ICBM said:

Similarly the Waterboys' Dream Harder - apart from the single Glastonbury Song, which I like - is utter wankery, and I like almost all the earlier albums.

Most Waterboys fans skip that one. Although on the last few tours a few tracks from it have cropped up in the set, sounding much better with Wickham's fiddle. He does a fantastic "fuzz fiddle" solo on "The Return of Jimi Hendrix".

I don't think anything could save 'Corn Circles' and 'Spiritual City' though, they really are shocking.

• ICBM said:
    Neil Young's Landing On Water
    A staggeringly bad album!
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 27656
    Fazer said:
    everything by rush after power windows
    Totally right on!

Also agree with Bitches Brew

I really thought I should like Muse and Radiohead, but I've tried and I can't stand either band.
  • Col_Decker;76426" said:
    Not an album but an Artist: Muse. sounds like a load of 'Terry try-hards' to me
    I have tried but I can't last a complete song.

"A city star won’t shine too far"

• LixartoLixarto Frets: 1618
    edited November 2013
    I'm not sure I understand this discussion - beyond what are apparently stone cold classics (such as Bitches Brew?) (defined by whom? Some critic? As a critic, I'm supremely qualified to say they know nothing) - there's nothing to say every Metallica or Neil Young fan should like everything by Metallica or Neil Young.

What am I supposed to like?
    "I can see you for what you are; an idiot barely in control of your own life. And smoking weed doesn't make you cool; it just makes you more of an idiot."
  • Col_DeckerCol_Decker Frets: 2188
    edited November 2013
    The first Radiohead album, Pablo Honey (iirc). That one song that's been played to death, an excellent last track (blow out), and a load of filler. And that chorus "anyone can play guitar" just makes my shit lyrics-o-meter implode. 1.21 JIGGA WATTS!!!!!!!

Ed Conway & The Unlawful Men - Alt Prog Folk: The FaceBook and The SoundCloud

'Rope Or A Ladder', 'Don't Sing Love Songs', and 'Poke The Frog'  albums available now - see FaceBook page for details

• bigjonbigjon Frets: 680
    The first Radiohead album, Pablo Honey (iirc). That one song that's been played to death, an excellent last track (blow out), and a load of filler. And that chorus "anyone can play guitar" just makes my shit lyrics-o-meter implode. 1.21 JIGGA WATTS!!!!!!!
    The Bends and OK Computer for me. Bought them both when they first came out on the strength of the tracks I'd heard already and rave reviews in Q magazine. Couldn't really take an album's worth in each case.
    Grace by Jeff Buckley. Like the title track, contains a few appealing ideas, don't really enjoy listening to the album as a whole.
    Is it just me, or does everyone feel able to be more honest now facepalms have gone? :-)
  • LixartoLixarto Frets: 1618
    bigjon said:
    Is it just me, or does everyone feel able to be more honest now facepalms have gone? :-)
    I'm not sure about that, but I do feel less obliged to explain myself.
    "I can see you for what you are; an idiot barely in control of your own life. And smoking weed doesn't make you cool; it just makes you more of an idiot."
  • I own everything by Aerosmith and I just cannot get into "Get Your Wings", except Same Old Song & Dance. ;) 
  •  

Lukeage said:
    I own everything by Aerosmith and I just cannot get into "Get Your Wings", except Same Old Song & Dance. ;) 
    You obviously just don't dig the playing of Steve Hunter and Dick Wagner. ;)
    My muse is not a horse and art is not a race.
  • BucketBucket Frets: 7749
    edited November 2013
    I'm a big extreme metal fan and I like lots of rather weird-sounding stuff so I feel I should like Voivod, but I just cannot enjoy them at all. I've tried listening to stuff from all of their well-regarded albums that metalheads bang on about. I'm sorry, I just think it's shite. So far anyway - I'm very much open to anyone wanting to try and change my mind. Same goes for Celtic Frost. And Anthrax.

Despite my love for early Metallica, "And Justice for All" doesn't really do it for me. The terrible sound doesn't help.

And despite my taste for instrumental guitar-based music, I find "Shut Up and Play Yer Guitar" by Frank Zappa borderline unlistenable.

- "I'm going to write a very stiff letter. A VERY stiff letter. On cardboard."
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 69426
    bigjon said:
    The first Radiohead album, Pablo Honey
    The Bends and OK Computer for me. Bought them both when they first came out on the strength of the tracks I'd heard already and rave reviews in Q magazine. Couldn't really take an album's worth in each case.
    The only Radiohead song I really like is Fake Plastic Trees. Street Spirit is OK-ish. The rest… I don't get at all.

bigjon said:
    Grace by Jeff Buckley. Like the title track, contains a few appealing ideas, don't really enjoy listening to the album as a whole.
    I just don't enjoy Jeff Buckley. I know I "should", but no.

bigjon said:
    No, I liked getting facepalms for being honest :).

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

• mike_lmike_l Frets: 5698
    Bucket said:

Despite my love for early Metallica, "And Justice for All" doesn't really do it for me. The terrible sound doesn't help.

I think it's the sound more than the songs, live they stand up with Master of Puppets. Harvester of Sorrow in particular is much better with a proper bass line.

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21) 

• HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 9107
    edited November 2013
    bigjon said:
    Agreed - lots of people bang on about this album but does nothing for me.

Anything by The Who apart from "Who's Next".

Yup.

And another one from me (prepares to be shot down in flames)... Cream's Disraeli Gears. I like a handful of tracks, such as Tales of Brave  Ulysses and Back Door Man, but to me they're heavily outweighed by tracks like Strange Brew which to my ears is appallingly bad (though I'm sure people will put me straight on this).
    I play guitar because I enjoy it rather than because I’m any good at it