Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). Using Google to search theFretBoard (UPDATED) - Help & Feedback Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

Using Google to search theFretBoard (UPDATED)

Flink_PoydFlink_Poyd Frets: 2490
edited September 2023 in Help & Feedback
If,like me, you browse here using the mobile site you'll know the pain of not having a search function so I've been looking for an easier way of searching the site. Anyone familiar with Google search tricks knows about using "site:www.thefretboard.co.uk" and a search term which let's you search within that specific site, OK if you're a bit of a geek and can be bothered typing that in every time but it gets a bit tiresome after a while.
This is specifically for Android and Firefox for Android, sorry Appleists.

Firefox mobile let's you add extensions and this one here https://addons.mozilla.org/en-GB/android/addon/site-searcher/?src=search
puts an option in the drop down menu which says "search site" all this does is enter the "site:" part and the website address you're currently on so you can just enter whatever it is you're searching for. Results are dependent on Google results so refining a search is a bit limited but it's better than nothing.
Nobody is guaranteed tomorrow.....

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter

Comments

• SargeSarge Frets: 2221
    Android user here too (why I ever thought putting my computer in the living room on the new big telly was a good idea I don't know)

I simply scroll down and switch to desktop version to search, simple, plus Firefox and my phone argue a lot.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Both ways are a bit clunky but work. I just noticed if you use my method then at the bottom of the Google results click "view Google in classic" you can order results in past week, month etc.
    Nobody is guaranteed tomorrow.....

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • As an update to this, please see here:

https://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/254075/site-update-search-functionality

Basically, I've fixed the site search, and it should give you a lot more functionality than using Google (eg searching by user, by title, ordering by date etc).
    <space for hire>
This discussion has been closed.