Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). More from the the Oil City research dpt ;-) - Made in the UK Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

More from the the Oil City research dpt ;-)

What's Hot
OilCityPickupsOilCityPickups Frets: 7616

Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog

0reaction image LOL 8reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter

Comments

• RichardjRichardj Frets: 1538
    Tease!
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • MegiiMegii Frets: 1669
    Looking very good, a tease indeed - I'll wait for further details with some interest. :)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • OOOooohhhh!!!! 

This interests me very muchly indeedy. Are we talking B*rden or Lil59 style?
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Oooooohhh indeed.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Ha! This is what I've been waiting for for my thinline, ash ;)
  • OilCityPickupsOilCityPickups Frets: 7616
    tFB Trader
    Two different specs of these pickups are have been designed:
    In the pictures you see the The Telecaster high output bridge version at 14.5k ... it's warm, but with tons of Tele bite. Able to drive an amp front end pretty hard ... it is paired in my demo guitar with a HardMan SC neck pickup. A nice sounding combo!

The Strat set is 14,5k, 9k, 9k .... and handles blues to classic metal with ease! and benefits from a 'full metal jackets' for improved quietness when split.

These pickups are as far as I know, the only scatter wound, hand made SC size humbuckers produced in this country. 

The lower output versions will be available as soon as I have finished testing prototypes.

Prices will be similar to Duncans etc, but of course totally hand made for you.

Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Wonderful. I'll be very interested in a lower output tele set - I may stick with a "proper" tele neck pickup but go for a humbucker bridge.

Or vice versa - I may go for your broadcaster bridge but a single coil sized humbuggy in the neck. Will you have any that are tele sized for the neck?

This is really good news. There are not many handwound rails pickups about!
    Prototype testing did you say?  A lower output Tele bridge paired with a lower output Strat neck rail, hmmmmm.
    tFB Trader
    Well that could be arranged ...

• 10thumbs10thumbs Frets: 426
    edited September 2015

They look awesome , I feel another partscaster build coming on, maybe with a conversation neck.....  :>

Off topic , I`ve heard that this Tele Twang 90 , has an output of 12.5k , does that make it more rock-suitable , :-?

or is it as the name suggests strictly "twangy" ?

http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/93/oil-city-the-weasel-on-pickups-repair-building-and-rewinding/p1

Can`t seem to find it on the website though ?  :-?

tFB Trader
    The Twang 90 morphed into the Alligator 90. it it's still got a healthy dose of twang .... but a rock output closer to a hot P90. 

Well that could be arranged ...
    A tentative and rambling PM has been sent on the slightest of offchances.........
  • 10thumbs10thumbs Frets: 426
    edited September 2015

Thanks Ash , I saw the Alligator 90 on the website.

But I`m wondering about this recent acquisition ...  http://i.imgur.com/pWRPjNb.jpg

The guy who sold it to me said it has 2x alnico 5 magnets ?

and I`ve just measured the output at 11.9k , is this a the Twang 90 , is it a prototype , or something else ?

I haven`t tried it out yet though , I`m still enjoying the Honkytonk Angel.  =D>

tFB Trader
    It is the original prototype Alligator!!! Hence the green ink and the 'proto' designation! 

tFB Trader
    And yes ... it has two A5s

• Result !!

Thanks mate and apologies for hijacking your thread....  :)>-

tFB Trader
    That's what I am here for
     :-)

• MattFGBIMattFGBI Frets: 1601
    Can you do a Strat bridge pickup in aged white? 
    This is not an official response. 

contactemea@fender.com 

• This is only speculative, given that I'm all about the Little '59s at the moment, but would you be able/willing to do overwound versions of these? Say, 16k bridge and 10.5k neck?
    <space for hire>
  • timmysofttimmysoft Frets: 1962
    I hope that you try a stacked version too, I love the single coil humbucker sound but I'm not keen for n the look!
  • JeremiahJeremiah Frets: 607
    What about a "rails" type jazz bass pickup?
    tFB Trader
    Jeremiah said:
    What about a "rails" type jazz bass pickup?
    I would have to try and get custom flatwork and rails made for that. Not out of the realms of possibility, but an expensive job, and I'm not sure how the bass response would work.

• JeremiahJeremiah Frets: 607
    OK, that's pretty much what I expected as you almost never see j-bass pickups like this...

Still potentially interested in the lower/medium output Strat sized ones for my 12-string.
    tFB Trader
    Jeremiah said:
    OK, that's pretty much what I expected as you almost never see j-bass pickups like this...

Still potentially interested in the lower/medium output Strat sized ones for my 12-string.
    Happy to chat about what you want, message me ... getting a set in a 12 string would be interesting

• JadenJaden Frets: 251
    YAAAAASSSS !
    Jaden Rose Guitars :: Jaden Rose Guitars on Facebook :: My Facebook :: YouTube

The young do not know enough to be prudent, therefore they attempt the impossible - and achieve it, generation after generation.

tFB Trader
    Jaden said:
    YAAAAASSSS !
    All suggestions welcome 
    :-)

• lamf68lamf68 Frets: 847
    Is there a way to make a hotrail and case it so it looks like a regular single coil.. Like with dummy magnets.. I love the sound of a hotrail but like a traditional look. Probably a dumbass question Ash.
    tFB Trader

lamf68 said:
    Is there a way to make a hotrail and case it so it looks like a regular single coil.. Like with dummy magnets.. I love the sound of a hotrail but like a traditional look. Probably a dumbass question Ash.
    One of the problems with that is that in order to get enough wire on the twin, rather tiny bobbins, they have to be made the full size of a pickup plus cover. This leaves no room to 'case' the sides certainly. Not sure if some sort of 'stick on' top would be possible ... but the 'dummy poles' would have to be non ferrous so they didn't mess with the magnetic fields, and super thin to allow the strings close enough to the rails underneath. 
    If you want a traditional look, the only real silent alternative is a stack or a split ... both of which have issues as far as tone is concerned.

• I'm looking forward to hearing some clips of the tele model, one may well end up on my current build. :)