Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). Major 7th chords - Theory Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

Major 7th chords

What's Hot
Cmaj7 or C <little triangle> 7 pleez.

"CM7" is bad enough in print (even though you're supposed to suss from the upper case that Cm7 is not meant) but in handwriting - if you perpetrate it you should be shot.

Anyone else hate the M7 notation?
"Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter

Comments

• Maj7 chords are for sissies anyway so who cares?
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • ;)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • If liking them makes me a sissy, then I'm a sissy :)

BTW I also like minor, dominant, half-diminished, and diminished 7ths. I don't think I'm discriminatory, except for the context in which I use them ;)
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • frankusfrankus Frets: 4719

My philosophy is this: CΔ - chances are very very strong that I'm going to try it as CΔ7, CΔ9, CΔ11 and CΔ13 at least once anyway ;)

Equally I don't bother embellishing Cm to Cm7 as I like Cm13 and Cm♭13 and seeing which does the trick.

As for Δ7 being for wimps, try subbing a Diminished chords for a Δ7 a semitone below. 

A sig-nat-eur? What am I meant to use this for ffs?! Is this thing recording?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • wotyer fink of the notation though @frankus? whenever I see 'm' (or even 'M') I read it as minor, and then have to perform some kind of mental correction because somebody has used upper case to mean major. and in handwriting, it's just effing ambiguous!

I always use a delta, most of the fake books I've ever used, use a delta for major or Maj. 

Band in a Box uses " Maj" which is clearer than an upper case M.

I don't like capitalisation in notation, although at one stage I used to write Nashville notation thusly: iii iv ii V I - I got told off by Dario Cortese :D  

• equalsqlequalsql Frets: 5849
    frankus said:

My philosophy is this: CΔ - chances are very very strong that I'm going to try it as CΔ7, CΔ9, CΔ11 and CΔ13 at least once anyway ;)

Equally I don't bother embellishing Cm to Cm7 as I like Cm13 and Cm♭13 and seeing which does the trick.

As for Δ7 being for wimps, try subbing a Diminished chords for a Δ7 a semitone below. 

Are we talking maths here with all these triangles? ... C and the rate of change of 7, C and the rate of change of 9..  my head hurts.

Cmaj7 chords are lovely happy spring bright things that should never be hurt and should have their own happy smiley thread...anyway!

(pronounced: equal-sequel)   "I suffered for my art.. now it's your turn"
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • GuyBodenGuyBoden Frets: 724

frankus said:

Yes, the triangle sign (Δ) is popular, I think the triangle originally signified a triad.
    "Music makes the rules, music is not made from the rules."
  • mike_lmike_l Frets: 5698

I was taught M7 can be read as minor7, so to be clear it's Maj7.

I think I've played a Maj7 once in the last 5 years.

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21) 

• Just to be clear: Cmaj7 should be written that way or as CΔ7 ...

... but NEVER as "CM7"

Agreed, CM7 is Dunmow ;)

• @frankus well played sir!
    edited August 2015

frankus said:

Agreed, CM7 is Dunmow ;)

I think Dunmow is CM6, Braintree is CM7
    ;)
    Braintree?
    frankus said:
    Braintree?
    Ah yes, CM7 is Braintree, Dunmow is CM6.
    ok
    Anyway, I've only ever played Maj7 chords when playing old Jazz standards. I never play the fifth with a Maj7, so adding more flexibility for the soloist. With a band, you really only need two notes the 3rd and 7th.
    bass players tend to get territorial over the root and fifth ;)
  • ArchtopDaveArchtopDave Frets: 1230
    Major 7th's can be Minor 9th's in disguise.
  • Major 7th's can be Minor 9th's in disguise.
    im intrigued. how so?
    edited August 2015
    Major 7th's can be Minor 9th's in disguise.
    im intrigued. how so?
    For Example ::  G minor 9 is made up of ;  G, Bb, D, F, A.

Remove the Root Note (G) and you are left with Bb,D,F,A,, which is Bb Major 7 !!
  • citizen68citizen68 Frets: 172
    Even the Manic's use major 7's - can't be sissies
    Seemed like a good idea.....

• BradBrad Frets: 590
    Stick the 7th in the bass, I dares ya...
  • Major 7th's can be Minor 9th's in disguise.
    im intrigued. how so?
    For Example ::  G minor 9 is made up of ;  G, Bb, D, F, A.

Remove the Root Note (G) and you are left with Bb,D,F,A,, which is Bb Major 7 !!
    Egad Sir, you're right. A different "hidden one" which I use a fair bit (and which, tbh, should have come to mind when I tried to think  about your example) is B-7-5 as a substitute for G9, again losing the root. I am slowly beginning to realise the truth of what was said a long time ago at the Guitar Institute, that if you can leave the root to someone else you can create more complex sounds out of stacking simpler things on top, eg Em with a C root = Cmaj7. 'Tis something I experimented with at the time, and IIRC I made a list of what you get when you stack things on different roots, but only recently have I consciously begun to use it. Thanks for the nudge :)
  • bingefellerbingefeller Frets: 5723

If you have a maj7 chord play a harmonic minor from the 3rd - eg Cmaj7 play E harmonic minor. 

• If you have a maj7 chord play a harmonic minor from the 3rd - eg Cmaj7 play E harmonic minor. 

that would leave you with a #5 and a #9 with respect to the C. OK if you want that sort of thing, I suppose ...
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6284
    Lose the M or m if you're using the Δ sign for major, you ought to adopt all of the jazz notation ....

- minor
    º diminished
    Ø half diminished / m7b5
    7 dominant

Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
    edited August 2015

If you have a maj7 chord play a harmonic minor from the 3rd - eg Cmaj7 play E harmonic minor. 

that would leave you with a #5 and a #9 with respect to the C. OK if you want that sort of thing, I suppose ...

There's only #9 and #11. E Harmonic Minor Scale : E F# G A B C D# E. The notes of C Maj7 are all within the Scale.

Another little bit of musical mind gymnastics. You sometimes see a Gmin7 chord replacing C7. It''s just C11 (C  E G Bb D F) with the Root and 3rd removed.

• sorry yes youre right the G is natural

• bingefellerbingefeller Frets: 5723

If it works for Kurt Rosenwinkel....