Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). 'Luthier's Love' locking tuners review. - Making & Modding Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

'Luthier's Love' locking tuners review.

What's Hot
OilCityPickupsOilCityPickups Frets: 7616
The pickup demo Vintage V100 has been getting a lot of play recently ... I swapped the PAF style Oil City Blitz Spirit in the bridge position for one of my NightFighter alnico 4s ... and I've been boogieing out on some 70s classic hard rock. Trouble is, all that vibrato and posing on one leg has show up the serious crap quality of the 'Wilkinson Delux' marked tuners ... Delux ... meh ... what a joke! Tuning stability like a chunk of binder twine attached to a flapping shed door. Of course I changed the nut out for a bone one before going as far as swapping the tuners ... but it was a vain hope. There was so much slop and backlash in the Wilkinsons that they would have to go.
I've been intending to try the 'Luthiers Love' range sold by Axeserus for some while ... and this was a perfect opportunity.
For £25 a set ... or £28 in gold like I ordered ... they are very well priced. And I was gobsmacked at the quality of the feel and even the gold plating when they arrived. They really feel like they cost fifty quid a set  ... and look the business.
I broke out my trusty step reamer ... it's actually intended for reaming out model aircraft props ... but is perfect for opening out Kluson sized holes to 10mm. I find it much better than the hand taper reamers that you see people recommend for this job. There was a tiny bit of chipping of lacquer as the thick poly on the V100s headstock is very brittle and not actually stuck on very well.
The whole job only took a half hour and the results are fantastic. absolute stability and a lovely smooth gearing. The whole instrument is a pleasure to play now ... thoroughly recommended
Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter

Comments

• ddloopingddlooping Frets: 325
    Thanks for the review, Ash. :)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • OilCityPickupsOilCityPickups Frets: 7616
    edited August 2013 tFB Trader
    I can honestly say ... that unless you are going to splash out on locking Grovers for £70 a set ... probably not worth it on a V100 ... these are the puppies. Gradually all my personal guitars will be going over to these.
    Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Adam_MDAdam_MD Frets: 3420
    I have a set if these on a les Paul and have to agree they're excellent.
    Not as good looking as the Duesenbergs though. :D
    tFB Trader
    The Duesenbergs are pretty ... but not locking. Personally I take practicality over beauty when it comes to staying in tune. I like the Duesenberg's string 'through the center' idea ... that stops you impaling your fingers on the pesky sharp string ends ... but for me I'd prefer 'lockers'. If one is happy with non lockers the Duesenbergs are great. Were they more than £25 notes though?

edited August 2013
    Yes they are, but they do match the bridge very nicely. :)
    Form before function. :D
    tFB Trader
    Trust a Frenchman to say that :))

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    edited August 2013
    :O)
  • dean2371dean2371 Frets: 138
    Are these the rear locking ones? Might try a set on my current build
    tFB Trader
    Yup ... rear locking with a lovely smooth action.

• DiscoStuDiscoStu Frets: 5260

I broke out my trusty step reamer ... it's actually intended for reaming out model aircraft props ... but is perfect for opening out Kluson sized holes to 10mm. I find it much better than the hand taper reamers that you see people recommend for this job. 
    Have you got a link for your reamer? I need to increase the holes on a Tele headstock.
  • ChrisMusicChrisMusic Frets: 1133
    DiscoStu said:

I broke out my trusty step reamer ... it's actually intended for reaming out model aircraft props ... but is perfect for opening out Kluson sized holes to 10mm. I find it much better than the hand taper reamers that you see people recommend for this job. 
    Have you got a link for your reamer? I need to increase the holes on a Tele headstock.
    I'll second that, and any other interesting / useful tools or suppliers too, thanks     :)

tFB Trader

tFB Trader
    If you want one I'll buy it and post it to you if you like.

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17108
    tFB Trader
    Do they do any lockers that might fit my ASAT without having to take a Dremel to it?
    It has slot heads at the moment which I don't like.
    tFB Trader
    Is it 8mm? Sadly I don't actually think there are any lockers that fit vintage orifices :(

tFB Trader
    No idea I'm afraid. 
    It's an ASAT special. 
    That's far and beyond the call of duty.
    tFB Trader
    Never had an ASAT on the bench so I don't know if they are an 8 or 10mm ... looking at pics on line they look suspiciously like 10mm ones ... in which case a set of any 10mm shaft locking tuners will do the job.

edited August 2013 tFB Trader
    DiscoStu said:
    That's far and beyond the call of duty.
    The offer's there ... you can paypal me if you decide to do it.

• ICBMICBM Frets: 69426

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

tFB Trader
    Never had an ASAT on the bench so I don't know if they are an 8 or 10mm ... looking at pics on line they look suspiciously like 10mm ones ... in which case a set of any 10mm shaft locking tuners will do the job.
    Interesting. 
    It might be worth a punt. 
    I assume US strats are 10mm?
    If so I could stick them on my strat should they not fit. 
    tFB Trader
    Modern style Strats are 10mm ... if they don't have the hexagonal lock nuts and have slotted shafts they are 8mm.

My Tele neck (non Fender) has 9mm holes and it's a bugger finding tuners. 10mm makes it so much easier.

tFB Trader
    Needs a good reaming :)

I assume US strats are 10mm?
    If so I could stick them on my strat should they not fit. 
    Yes, but they're also a unique type of tuner which uses two metal dowels and not a screw to locate them - they're made by Schaller, and a locking version is available (used on the Deluxe series). If you fit any other type you'll need to drill screw holes and it will make a mess of the neck.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

tFB Trader
    I do believe the disused locating holes will be covered by the body of the new tuner ... so won't be visible. Schaller locking tuners are £109 ... as opposed to £25 ... a steep price to pay for two disused peg holes in my opinion.

edited August 2013
    I meant drilling the screw holes will make a mess of the neck, if you ever want to put it back to stock - eg if you're going to sell the guitar... and might reduce the value by more than the price of the tuners. No big deal if you're never going to of course.

I just don't like to modify stuff like that when there is a 'correct' way of doing it. It might seem trivial on a bog-standard USA Fender, but I bet a lot of people who modified guitars that weren't valuable at the time in the past now regret it.

They're only £70, anyway...

Or maybe £50.

tFB Trader
    I was just thinking if I buy them for the ASAT and they don't fit I could put them on the Fender. If that's not the case I'm not too worried about putting them on the Fender.