Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). Oily Towers: the latest from Oil City pickups - Made in the UK Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

Oily Towers: the latest from Oil City pickups

What's Hot
124»

Comments

• OilCityPickupsOilCityPickups Frets: 7616
    tFB Trader
    @TheGuitarWeasel ;There've been a few mentions on here about the Hardman pickup. Could you explain any differences between the Hardman and the Liquidator, or are they pretty close sound wise? I'm particularly thinking about the neck pickup.
    Hardman has conventional sized pole magnets and is an overwound conventional Tele neck pickup. The Liquidator has 1/4 inch pole magnets for a more powerful bass response. Both are suitable for a variety of music styles, but the Hardman is perhaps more suited to blues ... and the Liquidator to hard rock etc.
    Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
    Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Cheers for that :-)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Sorry to bug you @TheGuitarWeasel , but is a tapped Tele neck pickup possible? I'm thinking a Californian with an extra bit of beef...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    tFB Trader
    The Californian uses Strat diameter wire (rather than the finer wire usually used on Tele neck pickups) therefore when wound to about 6k (usual Strat level) there is no room to wind more for a tapped design. It's possible to make a vintage Tele neck pickup with extra winds to be similar to my Thames Delta on low power, and my HardMan on full power ... but the size of the coil is the limiting factor with Tele neck designs.
    Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.

• pmbombpmbomb Frets: 1169
    Hi

I have an 07 Les Paul BFG which has a Zebra Burstbucker 3 in the bridge.

And I have a set of your Tubesnakes, bought a little while ago but still in the wrapping - order 10037.

How different would it sound in the bridge compared to the BB3?

(I realise they're black not zebra - not bothered about that).

ta.

tFB Trader

A little Oil City Pickup p-rn for you ...

0reaction image LOL 5reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • KalimnaKalimna Frets: 1486
    Regardless of how they sound, they look like perfect pickups for a Stonewolf model :)

Adam
    edited September 2018 tFB Trader
    Kalimna said:
    Regardless of how they sound, they look like perfect pickups for a Stonewolf model

Adam
    They are actually going in a Carillion ... but I'm in negotiation about designing more bobbins in wood and possibly some fancy resins with the UK manufacturer who built those bobbins :-) I already make ... as far as I'm aware ... the only clear bobbin 7 string pickups in the world ... and Stone Wolf will be announcing a model shortly that will feature my new 'Graduated Magnetic Field Technology' neodymium humbucking pickups. These supply the optimum magnetic power for each string individually ... avoiding the string pull issues that have plagued other neo designs. They also have virtually no gaps or voids in the pickup internals ... so are far more feedback resistant than a conventional pickup. 
    I believe you may be able to hear them at The London Guitar Show ... 

• KalimnaKalimna Frets: 1486
    Excellent stuff :) 
    I think I may have to drop an email to Stonewolf in the near future.... Fabulous guitars, fabulous pickups.

Cheers,
    Adam
    tFB Trader
    Kalimna said:
    Excellent stuff :) 
    I think I may have to drop an email to Stonewolf in the near future.... Fabulous guitars, fabulous pickups.

Cheers,
    Adam
    Mark will be bringing his creations to the Birmingham show in February ... and we'll be there too ... practically opposite him!