Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). I think I need to - Off Topic Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

I think I need to

dchwhitedchwhite Frets: 179
edited August 2013 in Off Topic
...keep a closer eye on my courgettes.

Flipping heck. I'm not really into weighing vegetables, but thought I would this time as a record of my gardening incompetence. A courgette really shouldn't be big enough to be the main part of dinner for five, with some to spare. D'oh...

Edit: apparently I can't insert images any better than I can garden. Try again...

Edit again: no, still not! Oh well. Just imagine a really big courgette, nearly a kilo in weight. Right - fifth time lucky :)

Stonevibe: 'The best things in life aren't things'.

Trading feedback: Previous (+18) and Current

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter

Comments

• wordywordy Frets: 67

haha excellent.  We end up giving a fair few of ours away, cos you just get too many.

I roasted some last night with cherry tomatoes, onion, chilli, garlic, and then stirred them through some pasta with some basil, butter, olive oil, salt and pepper, and a bit of cheese at the end.  Washed down with a couple of glasses of red wine - lovely.

One of the good things about the garden is you have to get creative to use the ingredients - I tend to get a bit lazy otherwise.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • dchwhitedchwhite Frets: 179
    @wordy that sounds very nice. Most of our monster went to serve the pasta god too - in a sauce though, with deskinned bangers, some leftover ham, onions, carrots, celery, toms, garlic, s/p/basil/oregano/l&p etc

The next courgette to be used is already oversized though! Might have to stuff this next one, and pretend it's a mini-marrow...

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • wordywordy Frets: 67

I like the 'Tondo Chiaro di Nizza' courgettes - round ones... absolutely superb.

I think the other two I have are 'All Green Bush' and 'Yellow Straight Neck' - but oddly they dont seem as prolific as last year, even though the soil is better, and the position is similar.

I havent seen as many bees around this year, and I wondered if that was why.

• chillidoggychillidoggy Frets: 17130
    dchwhite said:
    ...keep a closer eye on my courgettes.

Flipping heck. I'm not really into weighing vegetables, but thought I would this time as a record of my gardening incompetence. A courgette really shouldn't be big enough to be the main part of dinner for five, with some to spare. D'oh...

Edit: apparently I can't insert images any better than I can garden. Try again...

Edit again: no, still not! Oh well. Just imagine a really big courgette, nearly a kilo in weight. Right - fifth time lucky :)

That's not a courgette, it's a fucking marrow! Derrrrr!

• dchwhitedchwhite Frets: 179
    wordy said:

I like the 'Tondo Chiaro di Nizza' courgettes - round ones... absolutely superb.

I think the other two I have are 'All Green Bush' and 'Yellow Straight Neck' - but oddly they dont seem as prolific as last year, even though the soil is better, and the position is similar.

I havent seen as many bees around this year, and I wondered if that was why.

I don't know the variety mine is, sorry - it's been a bit of an exciting couple of years, what with one thing and another, and whereas I usually do grow from seed (and put at least a bit of thought into variety), this courgette plant is a bit of a last minute thought I picked up at Ely car boot - beyond being told 'it's a hybrid', I don't think I know much more about it :) I'll make a note of those Tondo ones for next year though - they sound interesting.

Good point about the bees. My courgette triffid is right next to a lavender hedge we're trying to start, so it could be we're benefitting from a bit of side-interest from that...

@chillidoggy you're not wrong! I've got to go and find the next one tonight - hopefully it's not quite as monstrous...

• chillidoggychillidoggy Frets: 17130
    I can't imagine you'll have too much trouble finding it.