Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). Gypie Mayo - Music Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

Gypie Mayo

boogiemanboogieman Frets: 11742
As in erstwhile Dr Feelgood guitarist. Just heard he died this morning . :-(
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter

Comments

• EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 15603
    Having tried to play a few of his things I know he was no mean guitarist. Only 62 although he was a man famous for his ill health ( hence 'Gypie' for those who don't know). RIP. :(
    I’ll handle this Violet, you take your three hour break. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 9107
    edited October 2013
    Sad news indeed. Hard job to fill Wilko Johnson's shoes with Dr Feelgood but he managed admirably, and stamped his own character and style on the band. RIP.
    I play guitar because I enjoy it rather than because I’m any good at it
  • Very sorry to hear this. From what little I know he was a very nice gent, as well as an ace guitarist.
    I read somewhere on the web that Lee Brilleaux thought he was the best musician Dr Feelgood ever had. I wouldn't know, but I was a great fan:- Hong Kong Money, Down at the Doctors, Drives Me Wild & many others- just brilliant.

• LixartoLixarto Frets: 1618
    Ah, sad news :(
    "I can see you for what you are; an idiot barely in control of your own life. And smoking weed doesn't make you cool; it just makes you more of an idiot."
  • He was my favourite Feelgood guitarist, on all their late 70's hits and added more of a rock edge to the band (Down at the Doctors, Milk & Alcohol etc). 
  • RobDaviesRobDavies Frets: 2983
    He was my favourite Feelgood guitarist, on all their late 70's hits and added more of a rock edge to the band (Down at the Doctors, Milk & Alcohol etc). 

It's seems almost heresy to admit that, but yes, I preferred his playing to Wilko's too.
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 26143

:(

I preferred Wilko's simplicity, which suited (or made?) the earlier DrF style.  As he left and Gypie came in, the band's style changed, and Gypie's guitaring fitted better into the changed style.

So Wilko's style preferred, but Be Seeing You is probably my fave Feelgoods album!

Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.